Fly Fusion Forums

Ldr

I have seen many posts where people complain about their LDR rate. I was wondering if you analysed in what situations this mostly happens and how it can be decreased.

Here are my thoughts.

Streamers:

When my streamers "dead swim" (stay in a place in the current), I often get only nips and this only a moment of hooking. At these times, I usually file my hook sharp to get it through the jaw of that trout easily. (Use the "nail test" to check sharpness.)

When I am swinging my streamers across currents, trout hit the fly much harder and my LDR is much lower.

I also dead drift streamers (cast upstream), which also results in more LDR (again I file the hook if that happens - these small ceramic files are superb).

Nymphing:

No indicator nymphing gets me more trout to the net, but I assume that is because I miss more takes and react only when fish already swims away with the fly. :)

Dries:

I do not fish them often (yet), so let's from someone more experienced.

Indicator:

When using indicator, I assure that those small nymph hooks are sharp. I set the hook often and have higher LDR than with other methods of fly-fishing.

Hook gap:

Heavily dressed small nymphs also makes my LDR increase, so I usually choose large gap hooks for small nymphs.

Tippets:

I have not addressed tippet breakings here, as I have rarely any problem with that. (I am using heavy tippets, as fish does not seem to care about it when nymphing or playing streamers).

Failing knots:

There were some were good topics on this at the forum, so let me skip this. I follow the keep it simple rule. Know few knots and trust them. Always moisten before fastening!

Hook breakage:

Again, I do not have any problem with this, as I am tying on quality hooks and check them regularly before tying to the tippet. Also, I do not catch that so big fish. ;)

What do you do to decrease your LDR?

Good post Bandee, lately myself I have been losing many fish from bent hooks I have tried a couple of different manufacturers but it seems everytime I hook a fish on the midge, it bends. I have been spending time trying to iron that out as it costs me more fish then I land

Good post Bandee, lately myself I have been losing many fish from bent hooks I have tried a couple of different manufacturers but it seems everytime I hook a fish on the midge, it bends. I have been spending time trying to iron that out as it costs me more fish then I land

You should ask member Simpson about midge hooks. I can't recall what he uses, but they're bullet proof. I've seen him pull some LARGE trout straight upstream with them.

Two things that have helped me lately are switching to higher quality hooks. I know try to use Daiichi, but find Mustad still works okay. Also, when nymphing (indicator or not), I try to set the hook whenever I think anything is happening-fishy or not. This latter point has increased my hook and catch rate by about 30% this winter.

Two things that have helped me lately are switching to higher quality hooks. I know try to use Daiichi, but find Mustad still works okay.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I find the Signature Mustad hooks better than their classic ones.

Don't ask Hawgstoppah this question, he will mislead you.

We were at Bullshead. I was 7 for 7. He suggested I change my straight up hookset to a side set to use the water to help set the hook. Missed a whole whackload after that. I think he was hearing footsteps and just wanted to stay way ahead of me.

Does anyone see difference by the angle of setting the hook (straight up, side, etc)?

I set the hook straight up but change to side pressure right after,to keep the fish in the water.Doesn't always work but my LDR's have gone down since i started doing this.

I always think about setting the hook into shore. If the indi is up river from me ill set to the left, and set to the right if its downstream of me....

Flyon-

I'm interested in your method, as I've been working it opposite (goofy foot?). If indy is upstream, I'll go up or downstream. If indy is out in front or downstream, I'll hook upstream and up. How has it treated you?

I always think about setting the hook into shore. If the indi is up river from me ill set to the left, and set to the right if its downstream of me....

I use this method as well. I always set downstream because the fish in moving water will be facing upstream. That way you should be pulling the hook into the corner of his mouth. Of course, this isn't as simple if the fish is downstream of you, so I try to pull it across the fish and into shore instead of pulling it upstream and out of its mouth.

You should ask member Simpson about midge hooks. I can't recall what he uses, but they're bullet proof. I've seen him pull some LARGE trout straight upstream with them.

I tie all my midges on Umpqua/Tiemco#2457 curved caddis hooks. Fished #18 all winter long..never straightened one!

Got to lose fish sometimes man, makes it all that much sweeter when you land that lunker!

there should be a button on the top side of yer cork, that when depressed releases a hinge in the bend of yer hook. no wait....two buttons. the other allows the bend to curl further to the shank, therefore locking the fish in place. yeah......420.....all day.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Jay thee problem is your using a 9 wt on a size 18 hook with 8lb line where do you think the weak point in the set up is!

step up the size of the hook and spin a smaller body on it. Thats why i tie all my small hooks in a bit larger gauge wire hook.

as for setting i try to think about putting my hook into the back corner of the mouth. If indi is up stream set down and is its in the last few feet of the drift and it hit go up.

I find im loosing them on MAD hard head shakes or when i let the fish get too far down stream of me so i go for a good walk with the fish some times.

I find im loosing them on MAD hard head shakes or when i let the fish get too far down stream of me so i go for a good walk with the fish some times.

I am having similar experience when I let the fish go (or hook it when) far away. I attribute this to lower line&hook angle. Running after a fish on a rocky river-bank is fun (but also dangerous). :)