Fly Fusion Forums

Recession-how Will It Effect Your Fishing Plans ?

So with today being Alberta budget day was wondering if the recession is effecting your plans for this season. Fewer trips , no upgrades on gear , cancelling long trips or lodge visits. Wondering if stores and guides and lodges will be giving deals ?

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to fishing so I don't think it will effect me at all. Never been bonefishing, or to Chile or to New Zealand or even to the left coast on a flyfishing trip. I have only used one guide about 5 years ago, and I have all the rods and stuff I need, tie my own flies, yup living modestly allows me to keep doing the same thing.

I can't see myself doing much different in spending. However, as long as oil stays down at these price levels it means more beer during trips.

Trailhead, left coast? Is that looking south or north? With the increased flight competition to the East Coast this spring/summer along with the low fares I can see myself heading for Atlantics in C.B. a little more often. However, if a major airline happens to go on strike flight loads will be too high which will mean driving south of the border a little more for some exploring. Again, as long as oil prices stay down.

Now that all depends on what happens in 3 weeks. If my company has no placment for me in 3 weeks I plan on taking the part of the summer and exploring the trunk road. If the got something for me then I guess no change. but I'm so cheap I could squeeze a nickle till the beaver farts. so fishing usually just costs me the price of gas and some PB&J's

Teck

Don't see the "Recession" effecting my fishing and my gear buyin', currently eyein' a 12'6 6wt Z-Axis, planning to pull the trigger on that prior to June 1. Got rid of my truck thou and picked up a seasoned Outback that should help cart me from river to river in search of Atlantics a little cheaper.

Was tryin to get a trip to AB this fall, don't think that will happen, but I wasn't really expecting it to.

I am cutting back in other places, just not the fishing.

Won't affect me...the only thing that affects me is time, and I have all of July and August off

Plans are...

Lake fishing in the Kamloops area

Lake fishing in Sk and Mb

Bow, and Crow

SE BC 2x

Montana 2x

Golden Trout

SE Ab streams at least a couple of times.

Police Outpost

Lakes at Palmer's ranch

K lakes in May

(Forgot to add Steelheading in 3 weeks in BC)

...and then a whack of trips on the lakes around my area.

Won't affect me...the only thing that affects me is time, and I have all of July and August off

Plans are...

Lake fishing in the Kamloops area

Lake fishing in Sk and Mb

Bow, and Crow

SE BC 2x

Montana 2x

Golden Trout

SE Ab streams at least a couple of times.

Police Outpost

Lakes at Palmer's ranch

K lakes in May

(Forgot to add Steelheading in 3 weeks in BC)

...and then a whack of trips on the lakes around my area.

Looking forward to joining on the S.E. BC yearly trip and a few bow floats with ya!!!

Likely won't affect me much. I'm a pretty big tightwad too when it comes to fishing gear. That's why I have two TFO rods. LOL

Now that I have renewed my lisence, I'm golden. Short trips around the city, Fallen Timber, Livingstone, Highwood, Oldman, hopefully I'll have time to visit Crowsnest one day, other than that, usually the Bow. Just trying to get better at the whole fishing thing. Practise makes perfect.

We will actually do more fishing this year than in years past, I predict. Most of it will be on the Bow now that we've sold our trailer, and I anticipate we will set record $$ contributions to the shuttle services.

We have also booked a salmon fishing trip to the QCI in August that was not a small amount of change.

I'm in the market for new waders and will definitely buy them this year even though I could Aquaseal the crap out of the ones I have and get away with using them another year.

But, by and large, the recession hasn't and won't continue to affect what we do piscatorially speaking.

Except that maybe my husband better get tying me some flies so I don't have to go to the store and buy them <--poke--<

Guest JayVee

Oddly, the worse the economy gets the safer my job becomes. I just went through the fear and uncertainty that lots of you are feeling now. It's a strange thing to say, but I just survived the economic boom and I feel safe now buying new gear and doing more trips out of town. It'll be a great season for me :)

Oddly, the worse the economy gets the safer my job becomes. I just went through the fear and uncertainty that lots of you are feeling now. It's a strange thing to say, but I just survived the economic boom and I feel safe now buying new gear and doing more trips out of town. It'll be a great season for me :)

Repo man??????????????

Double-edged sword for me....been looking to start my career since graduation...haven't worked since September. Not many people hiring new grads right now (eventhough we are cheap). So the longer I go without a job, the more midweek fishing I get to do...but the more broke I get...Don't need any gear (there's always a "wish-list") so it'll just be the cost of gas for me, and a few flies. In fact, I'll be out tomorrow aft!!

....now that we've sold our trailer, and I anticipate we will set record $$ contributions to the shuttle services.

Does that mean no campfire stories at Racehorse this summer??

Recession doesn't affect me too much being that my company deals with governments and the military and so projects may get delayed but fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) money is still put aside for military spending.

I think what it does do is provide a wake-up call and make me more aware of what I am spending money on.

For the price of gas, groceries and campground fees we can still have a heck of a weekend though.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

basically the same over here, im jsut looking at the money i DO spend and ask myself i really need it.

Theres no camp fees if you hick down the river 1k or so. just a few more $$ i can help save you. lol

I wonder if guides and lodges will be offering discounts. I have heard that hotels in the parks are already making deals as they expect visitor numbers to be way down with what's going on around the world especially in the USA.

I wonder if guides and lodges will be offering discounts. I have heard that hotels in the parks are already making deals as they expect visitor numbers to be way down with what's going on around the world especially in the USA.

I have heard that the outfits on the leftcoast that catered to Americans and Albertans coming to fish for Pacific salmon are dropping their pants. Don't know about here though.

Does that mean no campfire stories at Racehorse this summer??

Recession doesn't affect me too much being that my company deals with governments and the military and so projects may get delayed but fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) money is still put aside for military spending.

I think what it does do is provide a wake-up call and make me more aware of what I am spending money on.

For the price of gas, groceries and campground fees we can still have a heck of a weekend though.

I agree!