Fly Fusion Forums

Tourist To Calgary

Hi guys

I will be coming to Calgary from the other side of the world in June to visit my in laws, so I know I will be bored stiff. Unfortunately I will be in Calgary the first 3 weeks of June, which I understand is the worst time to fish the Bow.

Nevertheless, as any fly angler will tell you, wetting a line is better than not wetting one.

I am just looking to see if I could meet some of you guys to exchange tips and share stories of the one that got away, and maybe wet a line together.

Also any advice would be much appreciated.

I will be bringing 2 travel rods, a 5wt and a 3 wt. Back here at home, I normally use a 3wt for Peacock Bass. Am a sucker for going light.

hey dude i would say pack teh 5wt and forget teh 3 unless you plan on fishing smaller streams..... even bring a 7wt if you have one.... streamer patterns stonefly nymphs sanjuan worms and leech patterns would be your best bets too fish teh bow during runoff... any other questions dotn hesitate too drop me a pm

Hey man first three weeks of june is a great time to fish the BOW...... Great! streamer action, no crowds, lots of rain the fish are starting to feed hard i don't think you'll be disappointed try to hook up with members from the board to show you around. People don't have such a hard time taking people that live half way around the world to their favorite spots as long as they promise to go home.....but who knows after you get a taste of the BOW i promise it's going to be hard to get back on that plane. Another nice thing about June is it's some of our longest days light out past ten p.m. so night fishing is in full swing and fishing till 2a.m on the BOW is a little piece of magic. Drop me a line when you arrive and i'll show you why June absolutely does not suck.

Edit:if your going to be here after june 16th bring the three weight thats when the small streams open.

SG,

Where do you hail from?! There are many people on this board that would show you the ropes (including myself) so let us know when you are in town...

Cheers,

Peter

Hi guys

I will be coming to Calgary from the other side of the world in June to visit my in laws, so I know I will be bored stiff. Unfortunately I will be in Calgary the first 3 weeks of June, which I understand is the worst time to fish the Bow.

Nevertheless, as any fly angler will tell you, wetting a line is better than not wetting one.

I am just looking to see if I could meet some of you guys to exchange tips and share stories of the one that got away, and maybe wet a line together.

Also any advice would be much appreciated.

I will be bringing 2 travel rods, a 5wt and a 3 wt. Back here at home, I normally use a 3wt for Peacock Bass. Am a sucker for going light.

SG,

Where do you hail from?! There are many people on this board that would show you the ropes (including myself) so let us know when you are in town...

Cheers,

Peter

wow, you guys are fast...I am from Singapore, urban jungle and whatever little inland water we have, it's illegal to fish (reservoirs). Most of us do our fishing outside in nearby countries. I actually lived in Canada for about 4 years in Toronto.

Will keep in touch with you all.

Thanks so much for your offers

Hey man first three weeks of june is a great time to fish the BOW...... Great! streamer action, no crowds, lots of rain the fish are starting to feed hard i don't think you'll be disappointed try to hook up with members from the board to show you around. People don't have such a hard time taking people that live half way around the world to their favorite spots as long as they promise to go home.....but who knows after you get a taste of the BOW i promise it's going to be hard to get back on that plane. Another nice thing about June is it's some of our longest days light out past ten p.m. so night fishing is in full swing and fishing till 2a.m on the BOW is a little piece of magic. Drop me a line when you arrive and i'll show you why June absolutely does not suck.

Edit:if your going to be here after june 16th bring the three weight thats when the small streams open.

Hey thanks for your update...I fly off on 19th, so there is still hope for a couple of days to try the small streams...will be bringing my 3 wt. its a japanese rod (River Runs), 8 ft and 6 pieces. light and easy to carry around. casts like a dream too.

Hey thanks for your update...I fly off on 19th, so there is still hope for a couple of days to try the small streams...will be bringing my 3 wt. its a japanese rod (River Runs), 8 ft and 6 pieces. light and easy to carry around. casts like a dream too.

I would really like to see the look on your face when you hook into your first Bow River rocket with your 3wt LOL

I have used my 3wt on the Bow and it's blast but if you have a 5 or 6 I would bring that if not I can lend you one.

I would really like to see the look on your face when you hook into your first Bow River rocket with your 3wt LOL

I have used my 3wt on the Bow and it's blast but if you have a 5 or 6 I would bring that if not I can lend you one.

Ha ha...I know what you mean...the 3wt is for small streams...I will also be bringing a 5wt (sage)and a 6/7wt (Cortland). Now till june, I will just ahve to spend more time tying flies...

Btw, just a query, do I nee a WIN card to purchase a non resident licence? Seems odd to buy the card that lasts 5 years when I will be there for only a few weeks. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) Application

A Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) is required to purchase hunting and sportfishing licences in Alberta. A WIN number is valid for five years from the date of purchase and costs $8.00. A plastic WIN card with your WIN number on it will be mailed to you in 4 weeks. You may purchase a licence immediately after this purchase.

Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) Application

A Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) is required to purchase hunting and sportfishing licences in Alberta. A WIN number is valid for five years from the date of purchase and costs $8.00. A plastic WIN card with your WIN number on it will be mailed to you in 4 weeks. You may purchase a licence immediately after this purchase.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Guess I will just have to buy one and contribute a little more to the Canadian economy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry, i have another question...any chance of renting a set of waders and boots in Calgary? Tackle shops etc? Don't really fany bringing my set over as it will take up half my luggage space and the wife will not be amused...

Thanks again

Hi guys,

sorry, i have another question...any chance of renting a set of waders and boots in Calgary? Tackle shops etc? Don't really fany bringing my set over as it will take up half my luggage space and the wife will not be amused...

Thanks again

Calgary Outdoor Centre at UoC rents both waders and boots. Check out their site http://www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca/

The prices are reasonable and better solution than carry everything for a 3-week trip.

Hi guys,

Thanks again

You can also try Fish Tales Fly Shop, they also rent waders, and will have anything else that you might need before heading out.