• 7 wt Single Hand
    • 8 weight and up (SH)
    • Spey 5 wt
    • Spey 6 wt
    • Spey 7 wt
    • Spey 8 wt and up (DH)
    • Switch Rod
    • Spinning Rod With Rapalas

I use a 15 foot 11 weight for my 100+ foot casts targeting the plentiful 6-7# monsters that hold in mid-river lies. That's right, 100+ feet, it's all in the Underhand folks. When I'm not fishing my big stick (which I do, at least 275 days a year) I *hit talk people and brag incessantly on FFC. It's a simple life but I enjoy it.

if what this guy says is true, ill buy one tomorrow.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 15 foot 11 weight for my 100+ foot casts targeting the plentiful 6-7# monsters that hold in mid-river lies. That's right, 100+ feet, it's all in the Underhand folks. When I'm not fishing my big stick (which I do, at least 275 days a year) I *hit talk people and brag incessantly on FFC. It's a simple life but I enjoy it.

Really mature

Max, that's awesome. Ive used a 3wt on the Bow for dries for years.. and landed fish just as fast as anyone using heavier sticks, and also breaking FAR fewer off. The old FFA board used to slam me so bad for that. Good to see people are waking up these days :)

I use a 3wt for nymphing almost exclusively on the bow and a 1wt for the Liv and rivers I know the fish very rarely get anywhere near 19in. My arm thanks me for it. If someone wants to slam me, I invite them to come out one day and we'll time how long it takes to land them. I bet those who take 10mins to land a 16in fish on a 6wt will be very surprised.

the biggest brown i know of being caught in alberta (in the last few years) was on a 000 weight...it's all about how you fight them

I find the weight of the rod is more a factor when casting, not catching. The strength of tippet more a factor in how difficult it is to land a large fish.

I find the weight of the rod is more a factor when casting, not catching. The strength of tippet more a factor in how difficult it is to land a large fish.

I agree with this to a point, I have also found the the quality of the drag system you have on your reel is a huge factor. I use my Hatch reel (One of the best drag system I HAVE EVR USE) and have it set at 1 and with the big browns the drag takes off silky smooth and I have yet to break my tippet on a fish or cast while using my 9wt 12' 6"

Last year i got my first 3WT,first time out i tryed a double nymph rig with 4# maxima.I was surprised on how well it casted with a little wind.I managed to hook a few good sized bows with it to ,had the rod bent right over.If it got to much i just pointed the rod at the fish and let the tippet and the reel take some of the load and walk down stream.When the fish tired a bit i was able to put the boots to it and steer it into the net,and what felt like a 20 minute battle was closer to 5.

u got it dude! the biggest disadvantage for a lightweight setup is haveing a line too light and outweighed by the fly setup u wish too toss!

roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u just made my day dude!

I like my 5 wgt best however when floating I always have at least two rod. My 5 wgt for dry. My 6 wht for nymph. On occasion I bing my 8 wght for streamers. I thinking of getting a 4 wgt as well.

roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u just made my day dude!

It's pretty clear from those two posts who the *hit talkers are and who has the big ego's around here...

Do you think people will respect you more now? Good luck and good fishing...don't forget yer worms.

It's pretty clear from those two posts who the *hit talkers are and who has the big ego's around here...

Do you think people will respect you more now? Good luck and good fishing...don't forget yer worms.

IC00325.jpg

275 we wish. to funny

Exactly. If its windy, you want a heavier line to punch into the wind and that takes a heavier rod. The weight of the rod has less to do with landing capability compared to the tippet and hook. The only thing you have to worry about with a light rod and a big fish is breaking your rod. I have yet to break a rod (knock, knock).

like some have pointed out dude u need too chill out and deflate your ego a bit...... all u want too do is prove other wrong and be the dominant one...... ive yet too see u ever make a 100 foot cast and u hardy fish let alone catch large fish and all u do i brag about the halfdozen big fish u have caught over the past 5 years..... u need too shut up and fish.. u dont see me bringin up fish from years past bragging about how i caught them....... let alone tell everyone that they are wrong and that my way is the only way......

like some have pointed out dude u need too chill out and deflate your ego a bit...... all u want too do is prove other wrong and be the dominant one...... ive yet too see u ever make a 100 foot cast and u hardy fish let alone catch large fish and all u do i brag about the halfdozen big fish u have caught over the past 5 years..... u need too shut up and fish.. u dont see me bringin up fish from years past bragging about how i caught them....... let alone tell everyone that they are wrong and that my way is the only way......

I rest my case...

that rattled over that comment eh...... think u need too realize u are getting enraged over fishing and talking teh talk and walking the walk wether it be casting or catchin fish or anything else related is waht sets you apart from how you portray yourself on the river and on teh board and i figure that is why others are jumping on you.......... see u at teh next spey gathering....