Fly Fusion Forums

Any Ideas For Rotary Vises

flytyer101

Hi everyone,

Im looking to up grade to a rotary vise, and was wondering what you guys would suggest from experience. Im was looking into getting a Barracuda Trekker, but heard it was discontinued. I also looked into some of the Renzetti Vises. Im looking for a rotary vise with good jaws. Any suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Budget comes into play here......what range were you looking? Peak makes a nice vise at a good price and also has optional jaws for larger and smaller hooks. Also depends on what you want to tie most. It is a highly personal topic.

Guest JayVee
Peak makes a nice vise at a good price and also has optional jaws for larger and smaller hooks.

Yep I've researched this quite a bit and I'm buying a Peak.

Hey Terrance. I just bought a renzetti traveler from fishtales. It is an awesome vise for around $200. I was in the states and checked Bass pro, Sportsmen warehouse, cabelas as well as the the big sports stores here and found this to be the best deal. The best part was I was able to support a great shop in Calgary. Also they have a pretty good selection depending on what you want.

Cal

The peak vises look great,im just wondering how to jaws are on them?

I've been using a Peak rotary for the past 4 years now. I really like how simple it is...nothing fancy but it gets the job done. The jaws work just fine and I've tied from as small as a size 28 up to size 1.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get a set of bigger jaws? Moving back to Florida at the end of the month and will have the need to use some bigger hooks.

I've been using a Peak rotary for the past 4 years now. I really like how simple it is...nothing fancy but it gets the job done. The jaws work just fine and I've tied from as small as a size 28 up to size 1.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get a set of bigger jaws? Moving back to Florida at the end of the month and will have the need to use some bigger hooks.

Try Thorne Manufacturing one of the sponsors here....they carry them

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I have a Renzetti and i love it untill i hit the larger gooks and then the screw together jaws just cant apply enough force.

Then i use a Regal knock off.

I also use the snowbee tube fly attachment and it works great.

For that money, go with a big name. If you are willing to spend that much, you can get a vise for life. Don't be tempted to save a few bucks and get a 5-10 yr vise.

You will not regret a Renzetti, Regal, etc. I recommend going the extra length to get a Nor Vise.

What do you guys tie with today?

I tie with a Nor-vice all the time. With and without the fine jaws an the tube kit. Have had a Renzetti Traveler for quite a number of years and still like it. Use it as my occasional travel vice now. Had a Regal, was a solid vice, kind of wish I had one for old time sake

Hey Terrance,

I'm rockin a presentation 2000 and I love it. It has the same jaws as the more expensive renzettis, but uses a cheaper metal in the construction of the unit itself (aluminum I think). It works great for streamers which is what I tie mostly but does equally well with dries and small stuff too. The only thing is that it doesn't come with a material clip, and the design doesn't really allow for good positioning of an aftermarket clip, so if you really think a clip is important then I would advise against getting this vise.

In reference to Conor's post, the 2000 is more of a 5-10yr vise, and the next vise I buy will probably be a top of the line job. But with the money I saved I was able to spend the difference on more materials, so that was a bonus. And I don't see the vise wearing out for a GOOD 5-10yrs.

I recommend going the extra length to get a Nor Vise.

Agree with Conor. Picked one up about a month ago, and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. It is a little different the my old late '70's early 80's Thompson vice!

Got a Norvise at Christmas and won't go back. The added bonus of emailing the manufactor himself is well worth the money. I needed the arbour for spooling the thread, emailed Norm and he sent one to me no extra charge. Another bonus is that I mounted it to a thick board and now I can sit on my couch and watch my shows while tying flies comfortable. I'm not stuck at my bench tying anymore. It takes a little to get use to but I'm 250 + flies since Christmas and I love it

You should look into going to some of the tying demo's at the fly shops around town.

Im sure you'd be able to get a feel for what you like...

I have never attended, but check out the hook and hackle club

Ive got the renzetti traveler and have not had any issues with it