Fly Fusion Forums

The Macbook

So, I've basically convinced myself into buying a new mac, mainly for the whole 'lack of virus' thing.

My needs are simple. I'll still have my pc at work, so the laptop will be for home where it's mostly Internet surfing, and basic microsoft office stuff (power point, word processing etc). Will do the odd movie, and store all my itunes music and movies on it (have close to 50G in itunes...contemplating keeping it all on the portable hard drive though)

So, any recommendations on which one to get...any additional equipment or software?

Here's the link

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop...ook?mco=MTE3MzM

Thinking of getting the basic one as I don't do a lot of 'high tech' stuff, but I'm use to 'buying the best' so I'm also thinking of getting the $1750 one as I'm wondering if I'll be kicking myself two years down the road.

Thanks for any input.

"Lack of virus thing" is not totally accurate, just less likely to get viruses. Anti virus is a must in my opinion just in case. Try out the demo of iWork 09 and see if it works for your needs.......huge savings over MS Office .........$79 for iWork if you like it

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have run mac my entire life and never seen one fall to a virus. I find it stays faster longer ie it doesnt get bogged down by old code when you update every 2 weeks like a windows machine. My step dad has been a mac book whore ever since they hit the market and he has never wanted anything but. They are wonderful machines and with the time warp set up you NEVER lose anything (you just use your external hard drive and it takes care of the rest)

Switched and doubt I'd go back. Got a 250 GB hard drive, gonna get an external, HD video eats a pile of memory I've found. Got Aperture, like it quite a bit, haven't had any issues yet as far as viruses. Got a 13 " mainly because I travel with it alot, fits anywhere. Itunes is great, haven't really explored alot of the other stuff. I'm a convert for sure.

Go for the 2.4 GHz just because it sounds to me like you'll regret it if you don't. The extra speed and larger hard drive will be worth it down the road.

I agree with Flytyer that "lack of viruses" is not accurate. There are definitely fewer of them out there than there are for Windows. I've run Windows since 3.1 and never had a virus, doesn't mean they aren't out there - just that I've been fortunate enough not to get one. Besides, it isn't just the viruses you have to worry about, it's also the security vulnerabilities that can be exploited to gain access to your computer. Apple has quite a few of those...

I just bought my wife the basic Mac laptop and she loves it! The basic software for photos and videos has been quite impressive as well as the response time in starting up and opening docs. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a photo/music machine. So far we have found it to be reliable and easy to use. Happy shopping!

I too have been a macman since 1996, and still have my powerbook (running strong) since 1998. My wife and I fully converted last year. If you don't need a laptop, I would recommend the imac desktop (http://www.apple.com/imac/). Slim design, super fast, lots of memory. Also bought a huge external drive to run weekly backups via the time machine application. I just can't believe how much memory is in these things nowadays. We have movies, thousands of photos, and over 900 cds on and its still got lots of room.

As for viruses, there are definetly less viruses out there for macs than pcs. However, its because of sheer numbers. Essentially hackers get more bang for their buck developing viruses for pcs than macs. As soon as the % of mac users increases and comes closer to pcs, you'll likely see a surge in mac viruses (as explained to me by a tecchie).

Also, as for pricing, mac's are standard priced. You won't see much difference from the mac store vs. future shop vs. westworld. Personally, I've enjoyed the folks at westworld as they know their stuff and aren't as busy as the mac store so you get more personal time with them.

I've been dying to buy a new iMac, being a Windows (and DOS even!) user since the early '90s. My diehard Mac fan newphew keeps telling me to wait because there's rumors of an upgrade soon. What do you guys think?

I have a macbook that I bought about 3 years ago. I LOVE it! iDVD and iMovie are also really fun to play with. Making a little DVD of a holiday or fishing expedition are incredibly user-friendly but also very powerful.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back. Seriously.

Cheers.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

meh, when your parents are scientist there is alwasy an extra copy of the new OS some where. Im running the top end mac mini so it is essentially just a lap top with no screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JayVee
I've been dying to buy a new iMac, being a Windows (and DOS even!) user since the early '90s. My diehard Mac fan newphew keeps telling me to wait because there's rumors of an upgrade soon. What do you guys think?

Looks like the rumors are true!

Looks like the rumors are true!

This link is for a Mac hardware update......we order a Mac Pro last week and being it wasn't shipped yet we are getting the upgraded version at no extra charge....turns out to be a good deal for our unit as we got a major processor upgrade......can't wait to see the new 8 core run some of the apps I run. Should be super fast. The OS upgrade I was told by someone at Mac is probably coming latter this summer or early fall.

How long was Lepord out before Snow Lepord is coming out, less then 2 years, and people gave Vista a hard time. Not that I really care if I was using a mac for what I want to use a mac for then I would buy one, but to have one cause it is the "IN" thing then no thank you. I have had my PC for the last 3 years, never turned it off once and never had a problem with it, and I use Limewire like a mad man and yet no viruses, I guess I just know how to maintain my PC.

How long was Lepord out before Snow Lepord is coming out, less then 2 years, and people gave Vista a hard time. Not that I really care if I was using a mac for what I want to use a mac for then I would buy one, but to have one cause it is the "IN" thing then no thank you. I have had my PC for the last 3 years, never turned it off once and never had a problem with it, and I use Limewire like a mad man and yet no viruses, I guess I just know how to maintain my PC.

I give a f#@k what's "IN". My Windows laptop is gonna be some sweet satisfaction when I toss it like a discus off the back deck and hit it midair with a round of 000 buckshot..