Fly Fusion Forums

Float Tube Fins

TomWhite

not sure what you are refering to "Anybody use forward-propulsion fins" but I have force Fins and recommend them. They bend upwards and snap back quicker than standard fins. Expensive however...$150 ish if my memory server me correctly. For me a must in a float tube as the fins are your only movement option, unlike a pontoon with oars. Just make sure you use the catch strap as losing one of those in the lake or river would be unpleasent!!

Been hearing good things about Force Fins. Float tube was free, so might as well blow some cash on a good set of fins. There's a couple of fin types down here that propel you forwards (instead of backwards) with a flap that hangs down under the toe of your boot, some of the bass guys dig it, but it looks kinda flimsy to me.

Thanks for the advice!

Tom White

I also recommend the Force fins. I have 2 sets of fins, the first set were not Force fins and they didn't perform nearly as well as the Force fins. I know the others have already mentioned it but the leg straps are a must have.

Murray

knotman,

Got both Force Fins and Scuba Fins. The scuba fins are used nearly all the time because:

1] They take seconds to put on.

2] They transmit all the energy from the foot to the fin

3] They take less energy to push me around

4] They allow turns a lot more readily

5] They cost less now - although mine were bought in 1978 and cost $140 @ that time - good fins can now be purchased <$100

6] Some scuba fins float - Force Fins sink.

I've got the adjustable Force Fin type and it takes me upwards of 5 minutes to put on each fin. I'm sure that it would take less time if you used boot - I don't - I use stocking foot waders to get enough insulation for cold water fishing.

Even after tightening and tightening and pissing around with the fins, each movement still takes about 15 degrees fo foot movement before the strap grabs ahold and the fin actually moves. A huge waste of energy.

And I spend about 100+ days in a pontoon boat a year.

And finally - if you get scuba fins, make sure you get the ones with the plastic inserts in them. The plastic inserts allow both boots and stocking foot waders to be used. Browning did build them - sold about $50.00

catch ya'

Don

^you use scuba fins for the pontoon? and they work good?...think i'll look into it

i have used the outcast fins and it seems like it takes a lot of energy and fuss to maneuver and you have to concentrate to not cancel(counter stroke)each foot stroke on the return

RusteHookz,

Nearly everyone I know uses fins in pontoon boats. Only think of one guy who didn't - he finally gave up and bought a pair.

catch ya'

Don

lol,ya i use fins,outcast fins not the scuba fins like you mentioned....i was more curious if the scuba fins were better than the outcast fins

RusteHookz,

The scuba fins I use were bought about 30 years ago. There wasn't any Outcast around. The ones made today for tubers and pontoon boats are just cheaper variations on the same theme.

If you buy any fin, make sure that your boots fit if you use boots. I use stocking foot waders in XL so that I can get 5 pr. of socks in there. I fish from early> late in the year. Boots are COLD.

Don