Fly Fusion Forums

Banff Np Bryant Creek Trail Marvel Pass

McLeod

If anyone has any information on hiking and fishing these areas of Banff NP please please let me know. Messages would be fine if you want to keep the information private. Just trying to put together some info from those who have been in these areas and have some insight from there experiences.

Bike in as far as you can (not sure if the regs have changed) as the sectiion to Bryant Creek shelter is a long (and VERY boring) hike. My suggestion if hiking is to do the extra kms and go through Sunshine Meadows, much more scenic!! Or if you are wealthy, fly in and hike out. Just my opinion... Sorry, I have no info on the fishing in the area, but there have been people posting info regarding the Assiniboine PP area previously. "Fly Fishing the Canadian Rockies" is a great reference (though somewhat outdated). Here what it says for the Marvel area:

Marvel Lake - Cutts to 75 cm

Lake Terrapin - Cutts to 40 cm

Lake Gloria - Cutts to 50 cm

Mavel Pass Lake - Devoid

Owl Lake - Brooks to 35 cm

Bryant Creek - Cutts to 35 cm

Spray River (Upper) - Cutts to 30 cm

Watridge Lake (AB) - Cutts to 50 cm

Leman Lake - Cutts to 70 cm

Belgium Lake - Cutts to 35 cm

Palliser Lake - Devoid

Back Lkae (BC) - Devoid

For each lake listed there are some details, i.e., access info, etc., included (too much to write up)

P

If anyone has any information on hiking and fishing these areas of Banff NP please please let me know. Messages would be fine if you want to keep the information private. Just trying to put together some info from those who have been in these areas and have some insight from there experiences.

I have hiked and fished in that area. Watch out for bears, take a collapsible rod, Marvel, Watridge and Leman are big lakes and a float/pontoon would be ideal. The Spray & Bryant are really good they'll hit the fly when it hits the water. There's not much pressure in the area, that's because it is a day hiking to get to most places. You used to be able to drive along the west side of Spray Lakes all the way to the Banff park boundary, that made Marvel and Bryant and the portion of the Spray just above the lake very accessible, but they closed that at least a decade ago so Mtn biking in is the quickest way to the park boundary, did I say watch out for bears. Last time I biked along there I rode headfirst into a black bear and at the park boundary there was grizzly tracks, looked like a sow and cub. Beautiful place, you'll run into a fair amount of people but not many anglers. To camp you'll need a backcountry permit, and you have to camp in the designated areas, also get your camp spot early if you are there on the weekend.

Not sure, but I don't think you can ride your bike up to Marvel any more. The guys running horse outfits said the bikes were spooking the horses and I believe bikes are now banned. It was a pretty easy bike ride, but would be a good, easy walk. Check with BNP for rules along the trail. There is some serious Cutts in Marvel (especially in the NO FISHING zone).