Fly Fusion Forums

Most Flies Lost On The Bow In One Outing?

I tried to make a poll but couldn't figure it out.

Anyways, what is most number of flies you've lost in one day on the Bow to the river itself, not from loosing a fly box etc.

Last year, during runoff, I had a really bad time of it. Kept getting caught on all types of rubbish running through the river. Must of lost about a dozen.

8 or 10 I'd say..

Those kind of days suck!!! The ones where you lose your double (or triple) nymph rig... spend 10 minutes tying it all up again only to lose it again on the very first cast!! AHHHHHHH!

PS - I can't figure out the damn Polls either!

I used to fish a hole that had a lot of overhanging trees and I lost 2 dozen there one day. To the trees, on the bottom and to some fish too. That spot doesn't exist anymore after the big flood it got filled in with gravel, otherwise I'd be back there and be losing even more. :D

I think after the first dozen I'd be wondering about my tippet material and replacing it!

I would be in the doz zone as well. Regarding the tippet....I learned the hard way to always have an extra spool of the stuff you use the most. Nothing like just starting the day to pull off the last 12"! Those dispensers keep it on the spool, but also hide the amount remaining!

yea im with lk on this one... have a few days were ive lost close too 100 flies.. sometimes it sems no matter what ya do u always connect with bottom or driftingg through without a bump... will never forget one day on the crow were me and a buddy lost almost every nymph we had.. was the tippets fault.. ran out of 3 x and had nothing but 5x left with was tough with taht " bowcrow" hookset..... we were down too nothing but streamers for the last few hours of the day.. was ridiculous!

When you say to the river does that include the trres and shrubs on the shore?

If so and I include the good old snap from the wind a dozen for sure, back when I first started fly fishing that was about all the flies I carried so I would have to go home:(

I started this thread outta curiosity b/c I lost about 10 in 5 hours the other day (personal record). I can't say I've ever lost an indicator, usually it's the tippit (4X) that breaks for me. To those who mentioned loosing indys, are you fishing light non-tapered leaders?