Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Droppers

I have fished droppers when nymphing quite a bit and they seem to work pretty well. I have heard of people using a double streamer rig. Does anyone on here do this?? I am sure Max uses a triple rig lol

Anyways I was wondering if you tie the dropper streamers on in any special way. When nymphing I usually tie direct to the hook shank of the top fly, would you do that the same way for a streamer rig?? Also do you put the heavier streamer on the bottom or the top?? If you need to put on a split shot do you put it above the top fly or between the two flies??

Thanks in advance!

In my minimal experience I have tied the trailing fly to the bend of the first. larger fly in the back makes it look like a big fish chasing a smaller. Someone told me once its like the way kids behave if someone else wants it, I want it too.

In my minimal experience I have tied the trailing fly to the bend of the first. larger fly in the back makes it look like a big fish chasing a smaller. Someone told me once its like the way kids behave if someone else wants it, I want it too.

I tie shank to eye. I fish single double and triple rigs depending on the tiem of year and size of prey. Sometimes a larger chasing smaller Sometimes school fry. Lots of combos. I never put split shot between, good way to get a tangle. I prefer a sink tip or weighted streamer.

I'm a huge fan of the double streamer set up. Most of the time i tie a large clouser followed by a smaller but this spring i was showed to tie the small and then the large through the eye of the small and then when you strip it makes the small swim injured and the large chasing you can also use a large leech for the chaser the leech set up was deadly in slow water. Personally i find the double rig to far out produce a single especially in the spring and during runoff the leach trick is great in the hot summer through slow water with a slow retrieve jumping it off the bottom every third strip and letting it settle. (think leach going after injured minnow).

thanks for all the advice guys. I went out today to the Princes Island park area and was giving it a go. I tried a double bugger rig but mostly 2 nymph rigs. I had a single streamer on but it wasn't weighted and my split shot kept falling off so I said forget that lol

Thats an interesting idea about the smaller chasing the larger, that sounds like something i'll try next time out.

like others have mentioned there are a number of different ways too fish your streamers.. u dotn fish 3 but have tried it.. jstu a pain in teh ass! but fishin a leech getting chased by a baitfish is deadly.. or fishing a larger fly too act more as a flasher and a little streamer trailing can be deadly.. same with fishing emergers and other swiming bugs ahead or behind a streamer! gotta love the double triple combos.. tehya re endless! mess aroud with some stuff dude and find what you dig!