Fly Fusion Forums

Zpey

toolman

Check out what Henrik Mortensen has been up too over at ZPEY...He has developed a new line of two handers called the Instinct series and the Z1 Switch rod series. Zpey will be launching three new series of single hand/switch rods this year with interchangeable handles, that look pretty cool and their own line up of Reels as well...Zpey has also developed a new series of line systems called "fusion" to perfectly match all of the new rods...

I contacted him recently to find out when we could expect to have the opportunity to cast some of these new sticks and he tells me that they are in the process of establishing a distribution/dealer network in N. America.

In the meantime, I may try and import a few rods directly from Norway so we can get our hands on a few of these asap!

http://zpey.com/full_news.asp?m=4915&newsid=4582

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think these rods now come with an interchangable Traditional handle and the ZPEY handle used for Underhand casting, but it's the rod blank/action that I would like to try and also the lower grip which has been modified for the new Instinct series of two handers.

So what is the benefit of having that zpey handle... supposed to keep your hands closer to your body or what? It just looks silly to me but, i have yet to try one.

http://www.zpey.no/default.asp?m=4743

It's an interesting concept and in theory should work. The biggest hurdle in radical design concepts like this is getting people to overcome their fear of change. I think they really need to get them out there and into people's hands so they can try them. If there was one around for me to try I would, but it's too different for me to take a chance on buying one without casting it for a while first.

Hey mark,

The new Zspey do come with a interchangable handle so you can take off the zspey handle and put on a traditional handle.

I might pick one up for the hell of it but not to sure, just got my new rod today so I am broke broke broke!!!!!

A snake roll for the zspey would be weird but like I saw in a vid on youtube, Hendrick was saying that these rods with the zspey handle (single or double) is only meant to do underhand casting with, for any other type of casting he recommened that you change the handle back to the traditional one.

A snake roll for the zspey would be weird but like I saw in a vid on youtube, Hendrick was saying that these rods with the zspey handle (single or double) is only meant to do underhand casting with, for any other type of casting he recommened that you change the handle back to the traditional one.

a snake roll can be done in the underhand style. Any of the rotational casts feel 'different' with the zpey as top oand bottom grips are out of line. Not impossible, just different

a snake roll can be done in the underhand style. Any of the rotational casts feel 'different' with the zpey as top oand bottom grips are out of line. Not impossible, just different

Ahhh I see what you are saying brain, I haven't casted any myself, just going off of what I saw on the vid from You Tube, but what you are saying makes sense.

Well look at that,

i leave for 5 mins and you guys are planning buying a rod that never sold the first time around, a piece of tat that was a good idea but should have stayed just that, when casting you will find your wrist turning because of the shape.

Never sold first time around.. they might do better with the reels.

Think you guys do this so i have to jump in after jumping out.

Gordo.

Well look at that,

i leave for 5 mins and you guys are planning buying a rod that never sold the first time around...

Think you guys do this so i have to jump in after jumping out.

Gordo.

And the mouse takes the cheese...hahahahaha....

"Looks like a Rifle....Shoots like a Cannon!"...ZPEY...

Hey, that might work for their marketing slogan in this "4x4", North American market... Maybe their current slogan,

"Redefining Flyfishing", is aiming a little over everyones head in these parts...hahahaha. And they should call the optional straight bottom handle, a new and improved "Skajet" handle...lol.

The problem Zpey ran into in the N. American market, is that most casters had no idea how to Underhand cast, so the Zpey lower grip was a hinderance rather than a performance enhancement to those casters. Now, unfortuneately, folks can't get past the funny handle. Tough too get beyond first impressions when introducing new concepts to any marketplace. I would guess that the differences between the First Edition Zpey, Loop's Opti Zpey and these new rods, are that Henrik has designed these new blanks/tapers, the Underhand grip has been modified and all of the Switches, Speys and Single hand rods are new designs, complete with matching lines.

Toolman

It can can be tough to move the crowd and have it take hold. I was thinking of the shape

of beer bottles as an example. In my early days all the beer bottles were brown long necks.

Then one of the beer companies (maybe Lethbridge or Carlings) came out with the stubby. There may have

been space saving reasons for it but I always thought there was a lot of marketing behind the

change and you know how competitive the beer market is. I think it worked for awhile as other

beer producers switched over also to protect market share.... a sure sign of it's effectiveness.

But it did not last.

Whether these rods will take we will have to wait and see, hence the ability to replace the handles

with traditional handles. You never know, look what they did with the lowly Heinz ketchup bottle by

standing it on it's head and Hunt's is in hot pursuit. I think the redesigned ketchup bottle may be

a keeper.

This rod or the concept of the shotgun handle is not new, it has been kicked around for a while, a well know company was involved in the concept but pulled out, so z Spey went it alone and added a normal handle to the list,... thats got to tell you something

Part of the problem was that it make you turn your bottom hand wrist while casting, just the nature of the shape of the handle,........ just as they brought out the rod, a company brought out the carrot fibre rod, lighter than Graphite and twice as strong , and its been kicking around in the UK for a few years and still to make an impact, but i think it stands a better chance.

If you want one to try, i would take up Brian's offer of 40% off.

There new reels look really nice, but i dont have the spec or price on them.

Gordo.

So, what you're saying is that a Scott thought of it first, but you have'nt tried casting one yet, right...hahaha.

These new Zpey rods are different than the Opti Zpey that Whistler refers too. I think it is kind of silly to dismiss the entire Zpey line up of more than 30 new single hand, switch and double hand rods as duds, especailly when nobody here has even casted any of these new sticks...

Some interesting comments... http://zpey.com/default.asp?m=4743&s=7975