Fly Fusion Forums

Zpey

toolman

Hey Max, i kid you not.. www.tackletour.com/reviewicast07rodspg11.html :D

Toolman,

So, what you're saying is that a Scott thought of it first, but you have'nt tried casting one yet, right...hahaha.

These new Zpey rods are different than the Opti Zpey that Whistler refers too. I think it is kind of silly to dismiss the entire Zpey line up of more than 30 new single hand, switch and double hand rods as duds, especailly when nobody here has even casted any of these new sticks...

I will get a few casts with your one when i get over, i see all the single handers have a normal handle, cigar, half and full wells, Its true a Scotsman never invented Underhand, Skagit, Snap T Snap Z, perry poke, dump cast ect.

But you have to agree a Scotsman invented the Rodoe cast. :D

Gordo.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For myself, like gregg, I am more concern with the blank then with thew whole Zspey design (however if it makes my casting alot more easier and if it is something I like then that is a bonus)

The thing about this rod that has intrested me is the following

1. Henrik's design, I have watched all of Henrik's DvD's and really respect the guy for his knoweldge, and he is without a doubt one of the best instructors that I HAVE SEE. (Note this is just my theory nothing 100% concret) I think the reason Loop dropped the Zspey wasn't to do with the rod itself but to do with Henrik no longer having any affliation, once again I am just speculating.

2. I am somewhat intrested in the Zspey handle, like I said before, if it makes my life easier then I am all for it, the thing with the handle though is if I do not like the Zspey handle I can change it out to the triditional handle.

And for all of you that said you will try my stick if I get one, no ay man, I took the risk of maybe buying one, so you can too..... LOL, we'll see

I just want someone to tell me how to pronounce it properly. Is it like spey only with a 'z' instead of the 's' or "zee-spey" or just "the rod with the funny looking handle"?

And for all of you that said you will try my stick if I get one, no ay man, I took the risk of maybe buying one, so you can too..... LOL, we'll see

I'll just wait until you go visit Bob's house at the next Spey gathering and cast it then.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add to some of what has been said already, Henrik is one hell of a caster, and one of the best Instructors there is, great knowledge of all things Spey... total Respect.

If you had a Spey gathering i am sure you could get one sent for everybody to try, Red Shed would send you one if he has any.

The trouble with the first model was that it made you turn your bottom hand, i saw 20 guys trying this out at the CLA and they all said the same thing.

Henrik worked for Scierra.

Gordo.

bhurt i will have a go with your one when you teach me how to catch Trout and how to drink Whisky, but remember i have worked at a Trout Fishery for 22 yrs and live 5 mins from 10 distilleries. :D

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add to some of what has been said already, Henrik is one hell of a caster, and one of the best Instructors there is, great knowledge of all things Spey... total Respect.

If you had a Spey gathering i am sure you could get one sent for everybody to try, Red Shed would send you one if he has any.

The trouble with the first model was that it made you turn your bottom hand, i saw 20 guys trying this out at the CLA and they all said the same thing.

Gordo.

bhurt i will have a go with your one when you teach me how to catch Trout and how to drink Whisky, but remember i have worked at a Trout Fishery for 22 yrs and live 5 mins from 10 distilleries. :D

That must give you a ROSEY complexion!

C

Hi Guys,

Gordo.

Hey Gord,

Just curious what length of lines and weight of lines that you saw the guys using?

I could see if you were using a mid belly or long belly where some of the problems could occur. Also remeber one of the redesigns was a shorter zspey handle.

Also Henrick work for Loop before he left there and went to Serria, and correct me if I am wrong but I do not think Henrick even works for Serria any more.

I think the best thing that Zspey did which I think alot of people is not reading is the interchangable handles, so if you don't like the handle, take it off and put on the traditional handle, its that simple.

Zspey has won alot of rewards for their new model so something has to be right.

I will not make a comment on weather it is bad or good until I have actually tried one out.

Henrik left Scierra for Zpey something like 6 months ago. I think for the most part these guys just go to the company that'll pay them the most and don't necessarily fish the gear from that company if there aren't any cameras around. Rumour has it Lefty Kreh still fishes Sage rods and not TFO...

I noted the interchangeable handles, but honestly to me that says they don't have enough confidence in the Zpey handles so they feel they need to offer the traditional handle as well. Not saying this is the case, but that's just the impression it gives me. I'll still give one a try if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Henrik left Scierra for Zpey something like 6 months ago. I think for the most part these guys just go to the company that'll pay them the most and don't necessarily fish the gear from that company if there aren't any cameras around. Rumour has it Lefty Kreh still fishes Sage rods and not TFO...

I noted the interchangeable handles, but honestly to me that says they don't have enough confidence in the Zpey handles so they feel they need to offer the traditional handle as well. Not saying this is the case, but that's just the impression it gives me. I'll still give one a try if the opportunity ever presents itself.

:cheers:

Like you i will try one of the new handle ones ...... if some one else buys it... and thats been the problem.

Gordo.

:cheers:

Like you i will try one of the new handle ones ...... if some one else buys it... and thats been the problem.

Gordo.

So explain this to me, when loop discounte their Blue Line and came out with the Opti's that meant that Loop did not have any faith in their Blue Lines, and it had nothing to do with better material used or just trying to reintroduce a rod to the market?

Not to cause arguements, well okay to cause a argument, lol, your reasoning Gordy does not make any sense.

As I see it, the reason the old Zspey's were discountied was because their partneership with Loop was over for whatever reason, thus most likely Loop had the rights to the design and Zspey had to redesign the rod so they could own the rights to it, not saying this is the truth but how I SEE IT.

As for having the interchangable handles, I don't see this as a downfall but a positive, not everyone is going to like the Zspey, that is just a simple fact, I think by offering the additional handle it makes someone feel more comfortable that if the Zspey is something they don't like then they didn't waste money a something they will not use, also there might be a time when the Zspey handle might not be the best suit thing for the application that the caster might need.

Also when has something ever been designed the first time and was perfect the first time?

So explain this to me, when loop discounte their Blue Line and came out with the Opti's that meant that Loop did not have any faith in their Blue Lines, and it had nothing to do with better material used or just trying to reintroduce a rod to the market?

Nope, they probably upgraded the graphite and tapers. Companies discontinue rods and introduce new and similar rods because that's how they get ink in the fly fishing mags. Nobody wants to review a rod that's already been on the market for a couple years. The Sage FLi and Flight is a good recent example of this. I think to an extent in the case of Loop they changed their naming scheme because some people found the colour names confusing.

As I see it, the reason the old Zspey's were discountied was because their partneership with Loop was over for whatever reason, thus most likely Loop had the rights to the design and Zspey had to redesign the rod so they could own the rights to it, not saying this is the truth but how I SEE IT.

As for having the interchangable handles, I don't see this as a downfall but a positive, not everyone is going to like the Zspey, that is just a simple fact, I think by offering the additional handle it makes someone feel more comfortable that if the Zspey is something they don't like then they didn't waste money a something they will not use, also there might be a time when the Zspey handle might not be the best suit thing for the application that the caster might need.

Also when has something ever been designed the first time and was perfect the first time?

I think Loop discontinued their Zpey line because of low sales. Zpey probably retained the rights to their handle design and Loop kept the blank design. The redesign of the handle was likely done in the hopes of better sales this time around. The major hurdle for Zpey is that fly fishing is full of tradition and traditionalists (look at all the guys who still fish bamboo and fiberglass). Radical changes are usually met with fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The major hurdle for Zpey is that fly fishing is full of tradition and traditionalists (look at all the guys who still fish bamboo and fiberglass). Radical changes are usually met with fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Marc,

I 100% agree with what you say, I remeber alot of people, myself included, say that there is no need for a two hander on the bow, I guess that is why I am more open to new designs and new ideas!

Radical changes are usually met with fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Doubt for sure.. but fear ... it is fishing we are talking about, i have no fear of a rod with a wonky handle.

If you like it.... GO AND BUY ONE, or better BUY TWO.

Not to cause arguements, well okay to cause a argument, lol, your reasoning Gordy does not make any sense.

There are lots of times i dont make sense, but give the Speycasting more than.... what a year or so, that you have been Speycasting, and you will find that what you think is right...... is wrong. <--poke--<

Gord,

Not saying that I know everything infact I will be the first one to say I need to learn alot more about Speycasting, and I said SpeyCasting.

What I am getting in this thread is that because it didn't work the first time means you just abadon it?

Hell no cause if that was true then we would of never gotten to space, how many people died before the first person landed on the moon?

If they gave up the first time then we would still be stuck on this rock, but they took their concept and design and took it to the next level.

Just because the Zspey comes with a interchangable handle does not mean that Zspey has no faith in their handle like you meantioned before *poke* but in my opion a clearn marketing trick "HEY TRY OUT OUR NEW HANDLES AND IF YOU DON;T LIKE IT SWITCH BACK TO THE TRADITION"

As I see it this is nothing but a marketing trick to get the people that are on the fence about buying one to actually buy one cause now they know that if they don;t like the Zspey handle then they can always switch back to the traditional handle without the fear of wasting money on something they bought (Hmmm didn't I say this somewhere before?)

Hey what you doing up at this time ? i thought it would be hrs before you read this.

Its all good, i know when i get back to Calgary i will have loads of Z Spey rods to try out. :D

Just had a quick look at the two biggest Tackle stores in Europe, and no Z spey rods.

Did a search on google thinking it would come up right away.. not there.

Nothing wrong with Inovation in fishing and if there wasn't we would all still be casting wooden rods with horse hair line (always had to be hair from a grey mare tail).

Looking forward to trying out all the new Z Spey rods on Da Bow.

Gordo.

Going fishing in a couple of hours, usally up at 5am every morning for work, so today I decieded to take the intitive and tie some flies and argue with you *lol*

Oh Gord you think someone like Henrick would bran their name to something that they thought wouldn't work or sell?

BTW when you come up I wanna try out your HMS rods

I think most people would attach their name to something even if they didn't believe in it if the proper incentive was there. Someone once said that everyone can be bought, it just depends on the price.

Regardless, this is all academic until we get our hands on these rods to try them for ourselves.

Somebody gave me a Zpey hat. It fits really good.

Haven't tried to cast it though, so I have no opinion about that.

Hell no cause if that was true then we would of never gotten to space, how many people died before the first person landed on the moon?

Three, I think. Apollo 1 burned up on the pad during testing with the astronauts in the capsule oversaturated with O2.

There was a music lyric from an obscure band called "The Rainmakers":

Take a trip with me to 1967

When Grissom, White and Chaffey took a rocket ride to heaven

It was a dead end day upon AS204

It was American made, only the best for our boys

Hijack over.

Rick, you need to load that hat with a good heavy skagit line and it'll work wonders.

Is it just me or does anyone else have visions of someone with one of those carrot stick rods being chased by a swarm of killer rabbits with huge sharp teeth and a vicious streak a mile wide?

grailrabbit.jpg

Maybe it's just me.

After re-reading the news release from Zpey and looking at their site info., I'm not sure if the new Instinct two hander series will come with both, Traditional bottom handle and Zpey handle, or only the Zpey handle. I sure hope it comes with both types of lower handles. Either way, I look forward to casting one of these rods with a few of the matching "fusion" spey lines.

Carrot Stick the way to go.... see nothing wrong with Innovation and modern thinking, :D , very green in a orange kinda way i dont know if the link i posted worked, carrot Fibres are stronger and lighter than Graphite/carbon, i guess cost is the issue right now with the CARROT.

Just got back from Loch Leven and passed part 4 and 5 of My Instructors Course, written and Presentation, if my spelling is WoReSER THAn NORMAL THATS BECAUSE I AM f***ed , this course is killing me, only another 6 weeks to go. :crybaby:

Gordo.