Fly Fusion Forums

Zpey

toolman

Carrot Stick the way to go.... see nothing wrong with Innovation and modern thinking, :D , very green in a orange kinda way i dont know if the link i posted worked, carrot Fibres are stronger and lighter than Graphite/carbon, i guess cost is the issue right now with the CARROT.

Just got back from Loch Leven and passed part 4 and 5 of My Instructors Course, written and Presentation, if my spelling is WoReSER THAn NORMAL THATS BECAUSE I AM f***ed , this course is killing me, only another 6 weeks to go. :crybaby:

Gordo.

Hey good going Gord...

Written tests are a bitch...after guiding for many years the new gov.'t decided to have everyone do a written test to comply with insurance details...and requirements...so,the test was loaded with trick questions...I failed the first time and barely made the second attempt..

Ie..a non resident alien can fish with their children,which ones need to have licenses and if so,fish quotas apply to which license?

Good luck anyway

C

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Max,

Will try and get my hands on a carrot stick, a Trout carrot stick and take one with, same for the ZSpey ,Toolman if you have'nt had a go with one before i get there, i might be able to get one on trial for guys to Swing.

Gordo ....awake and alive after a wee snooze.

good stuff gordy! make sure too bring a ew of scotts lightweight speys u were talkin bout months back! good on ya for your course too! not too much longer too go and your done!!!!!!

Hey Max,

Scott's rods will be a wee while yet , he is now making sure the cosmetic,and finish are spot on, best of cork, rod rings reel seat.. i have know idea of what they are going to look like finished as yet.

Scott Designed a triangular reel seat a few years ago made by Alphs it was copied within weeks , so will be interesting to see the finished Rod, but i know he wont put his name on it until he is 110% happy with it, so thats when they will be ready i guess.

Up fishing with him on Wednesday so will take some photo's of the Ness ect.

Its getting near time you where heading over, for Salmon on the Spey and for the 30lb Pike on the Fly at Loch an Eilean..(Loch of the Island).

I am hoping to sit three qualifications this year on Speycasting Instruction , three here and one in the US, so my time in Calgary this year is going to be limited..... if i make it at all. :crybaby:

Gordo.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a friend who bouht this rod and he says that its amazing !

Going to try his zpey rod this season to see how it works.He says also its vey good for people who have some back problems.

Its the first time he have fished a whole season with out any pain and its awsome to cast with is his words.

post-2829-1236097519.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome fraaaki and topeti.

Now if only we could convince Henrik to come over too Calgary and host a Zpey casting/fishing workshop. :D

topeti, you're just teasing us with that avatar photo, are'nt you...hahaha. If you send it too me to play with, I promise I will send it back, but maybe not untill 2010...hahaha.

Welcome fraaaki and topeti.

Now if only we could convince Henrik to come over too Calgary and host a Zpey casting/fishing workshop. :D

topeti, you're just teasing us with that avatar photo, are'nt you...hahaha. If you send it too me to play with, I promise I will send it back, but maybe not untill 2010...hahaha.

Well, I dear not tease you guys, but I hope you can convince Henrik to come over to Calgary and let you all try and feel this system, and then take up this thread.

"My wife is good-looking, but the rest of her is even better." :vdaylove:

topeti, if I could get my hand on one of the new zpey I would diffently give it a fair shot, espically hearing about how the caster is in no pain, blowen out shoulder that could dislocate at any momment I had to put down my single hander (I still do use my single handers for select things) and go with the two hander.

Beeing a student of the underhand casting style and looking at the way the zpey handle is designed, I am pretty much sure I would really enjoy using this new inovetive handle design.

Someone bring some over for us to play with.......

• 4 weeks later...

A few of us got to play around with one of the Loop Zpey rods today, a 12' 8/9. It was interesting to cast and I have mixed feelings about it. The shape of the handle kept making me want to stop my rod tip much lower than 11 o'clock on the forward cast, but once I was more conscious of my stop it was fine. Cackhanded casts felt really awkward because the shape of the handle had my bottom hand in a weird spot. It's a great rod for single spey casts off your dominant shoulder. Because of Whistler's post I made sure to snake roll the rod. For me it really worked well for this cast. It's almost like the handle forced my hands to rotate properly. One odd thing was that after casting it a bit I experienced pain in my right forearm. Not sure if it's just that the handle takes some getting used to or if it's just a sign that I'm developing carpal tunnel from working at a computer all day. It's a unique design and I don't think you can judge it until you've tried casting one for yourself. It's not for everyone, but I can see how some people will prefer the handle over a straight one. Thanks to the guys who brought theirs out to Spey-O-Rama today for us to try!

I cast with it at Spey-o-rama today and agree with the stopping to low part. I couldn't really figure it out because I usually cast using a lot of top and bottom hand in the cast. One of the guys said it is meant for underhand style and you need to keep your leading arm tight to the body and do all the action with the lower hand and twisting of the body. After that it worked way better but I wasn't really a big fan because it is kinda restricting by only really working with the underhand style where as with a normal handle I can cast underhand or whatever the other style is called lol looked pretty neat though haha

A few of us got to play around with one of the Loop Zpey rods today, a 12' 8/9. It was interesting to cast and I have mixed feelings about it. The shape of the handle kept making me want to stop my rod tip much lower than 11 o'clock on the forward cast, but once I was more conscious of my stop it was fine. Cackhanded casts felt really awkward because the shape of the handle had my bottom hand in a weird spot. It's a great rod for single spey casts off your dominant shoulder. Because of Whistler's post I made sure to snake roll the rod. For me it really worked well for this cast. It's almost like the handle forced my hands to rotate properly. One odd thing was that after casting it a bit I experienced pain in my right forearm. Not sure if it's just that the handle takes some getting used to or if it's just a sign that I'm developing carpal tunnel from working at a computer all day. It's a unique design and I don't think you can judge it until you've tried casting one for yourself. It's not for everyone, but I can see how some people will prefer the handle over a straight one. Thanks to the guys who brought theirs out to Spey-O-Rama today for us to try!

MArk don't forget that the old zpey rods (the loop opti zpey) has a longer handle and on the new ones they have been redeisgned with a shorter handles, don;t get these two mixed up as they are DIFFRENT rods and should not be compared togather, like calling a apple a orange.

Lethfisher,

I personally love the underhand casting alot compared to a traditionally scottish nestcast or a mordern/skagit cast as it is alot more easier and less strain in the body as you are using the whole body for the cast and not just your arms. Try using a 9 wt 12 1/2 footer and do a full day of top handed casting and come and tel me how sore you are, with the bottom hand cast you save yourself alot of soreness, or so this is how I see it. As for it beeing designed for underhand casting you are correct that is why there are a couple of us that tell people to try alot of diffrent rods to find the one that suits you the best.

I have personally taken lesson in traditional (speygillies clinic) underhand (brain Mccrimmon) modern (Loop School) and personally find I enjoy the underhand cast the best (even though I do do some modern casting depending on the situation that I am in)

The biggest thing to remeber about underhand casting is to keep your top hand still, it does not have to be right tight into the body but it is a pivoit point for the casting. and all the action is in the lower hand.

I also suggest you try with your casting adding in body movement and you will find your casting will get better. I remeber when I was at the loop school learning to double spey, Brain and Frankie both had me hold my top hand by my chest/bellbutton and the bottom hand by my hip, for the next bit all my cast where done with body movement.

I find people think that if your not using your arms (as in reaching out with your cast) you are doing a underhand cast which as far as I know is incorrect, bottom hand casting as far as I understand it is all to do with keeping your top hand from reaching out and using it as a pivoit and pulling the rod into you using your bottom hand.

Anyways I was out hunting bulls and was sad I had to miss the spey-o-ramma

MArk don't forget that the old zpey rods (the loop opti zpey) has a longer handle and on the new ones they have been redeisgned with a shorter handles, don;t get these two mixed up as they are DIFFRENT rods and should not be compared togather, like calling a apple a orange.

I don't think it's going to be quite that far apart. More like comparing one kind of apple to another since the underlying concept is still the same. The biggest difference will probably be between the blanks.

I don't think it's going to be quite that far apart. More like comparing one kind of apple to another since the underlying concept is still the same. The biggest difference will probably be between the blanks.

Did some reserch into this and the biggest problem with the loop zpey was that the handle was too powerful for the rod blank.

Also there is a 6 inch diffrent in length in the handle from the opti to the new one

Also for anyone that wants to understand the Zpey here is the link to the concet and idea of the zpey right from the zpey guys themselves:

http://zpey.com/default.asp?m=4743

"I personally love the underhand casting alot compared to a traditionally scottish nestcast or a mordern/skagit cast as it is alot more easier and less strain in the body as you are using the whole body for the cast and not just your arms."

Body movement in Speycasting is as old as the hills, nothing new in that, what is new is the amount of Spey stuff going on in Calgary this past few years, can only be goooooood for all.

Gordo. Heading to coo toon soon. :D