Fly Fusion Forums

Recommendation On Drift Boat Brands...

I'm in the market for a drift boat and have been looking around to see what the options are. I am fairly certain that I'd like to go with either hyde or clackacraft. Can anyone who has fished from one on a river or still water give me an idea of the pros and cons of each brand. I saw the new ones at the show but its tough to get an idea on how user friendly they are until you catch a monster in one......

Any comments you can throw my way would be awesome.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I went with a Hyde about 5 years ago. In comparing Hyde with Clackacraft I didn't think the Clacka was any less of a product functionally and everyone I talk to love their Clacka as well. The reason I went with the Hyde was after factoring in all the add-ons and accessories like counter balanced oars, ez-pull side anchor system, rear pedestal seat, cushion seating, high back rowers seat, boat cover, etc, the Hyde was much cheaper by several thousand dollars.

I see you also mention lakes. I'm not sure about the Clackacraft but Hyde has a fitting that you can put over the transom that allows for a motor. Clacka may have too but I would check that if you are considering it. Don't forget all the other great boat manufacturers out there too.

I've been impressed lately with some of the things Dave Scanden has come out with you should check them out . Esspecially if your going to be doing a lot of lake fishing. Their method will save you a couple thousand. 2000 bucks buys a couple decent rods.

I did see those at the show....they look really durable and well thought out. But, I have 3 young kids who will join me on ocassion so I'm looking for something that will work for all situations.

clacka all the way have rowed half dozen of em close too a dozen hydes a few home made and wood boats and some other brands and i would take clacka hands down.. couter balanced oars can be bought for any boat now and seats rod holders extra storage etc can be put into a clacka too.. hydes do have more storage but with mega storage and gear come more weight and a pain in teh a** too row.. specially on teh few days the wind kicks up

I work for a company who been running old school Clacka's through class 4 rapids for decades...they are poorly laid glass compared to today but tough as nails and NO LEAKS! lol...

Hydes look nice for flat water...not so sure about water that eats boats...

if you want Glass, go clacka or RO. if you want aluminum go Hyde. Hyde's glass bottoms have been known to delam and fill with water..Hyde makes a very nice power drifter as well

No one has mentioned size or model either. If you're just planning on using it in the bow and some smaller lakes, then a LP (low profile) is the way to go. A high-side makes dealing with getting in and landing fish much harder, however, they can deal with rapids much better then low pro's. a 15' is nice to have, easier to manuer, lighter and deals with the alberta winds better, however it has considerably less space then a 16' (and easier to sink if you go into too big of rapids..aka, no Elk river in this boat).

The new fish pod from Clacka is very nice..but i have a problem trying to figure out where i'd stick a big cooler in it..

You know Mark, you're going to need someone to row that new boat. And I promise I won't row like I do when I'm with H20 (ie. floating the boat right on top of all the good water so he gets p*ssed, and takes the oars back :))

I figured I wouldn't have any problems finding someone to trade off on the rowing....I was thinking we may have to get a crew down to montana/idaho to pick it up and then fish the way back.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I was leaning towards a clackacraft after seeing them at the show. It seemed to me that all of the smaller details were much cleaner on the clacka vs. the hyde. Glass looked better in the interior vs aluminum boxes as well. Its good to have some positive feedback on them as well.

Mark

had some exp rowing both hyde & clacka glass some yrs ago, and preferred clacka for sure. seemed to track a little better and were more responsive, and i liked the setup more. when i went shopping for a used clacka i found a good deal on a newer used 16' ro. i've had it for 6 yrs and love the way it handles. it's pretty bullet proof and as we've [co owned with some buddies] had all kinds of people at the oars we've definitely had times when the hull & chines have been given maximum stress testing running over rocks, running into culverts, running aground etc. apart from some cosmetics, no issues whatsoever. well, maybe a few scratches...

i have a high profile so it can defintely be more of an issue in wind, but it's a little better able to handle bigger waters [not so much an issue on the bow], like a very dicey trip down the elk river during a blowout a few yrs back, we'da died in a low profile ship. i also plan to get it out on some steel waters some day. mine's missing some things like rod holders - the newer models def. have more bells & whistles. i also have a good dry storage and can hold a pile of crap for camping & stuff. like markd says think about what you plan to use it for: look at the storage, where does that massive soda cooler go, rod holders, knee braces, seats, etc. another thing to check is how pointy edges are, think about where/how your line is going to be lying about when you strip...is it going to get caught on something [besides yourself] when that big fish starts screaming line. another reason that i like my boat & clackas over hyde [older ones anyways] is they seemed to have thought that through.

And I promise I won't row like I do when I'm with H20 (ie. floating the boat right on top of all the good water so he gets p*ssed, and takes the oars back :))

Hahaha that's what I do to H2O man does he ever get p*ssed. But when we stop to fish channels that's when he gets me back by catching all the fish LOL

QUOTE (bloom @ Jan 29 2009, 08:40 AM) *

And I promise I won't row like I do when I'm with H20 (ie. floating the boat right on top of all the good water so he gets p*ssed, and takes the oars back smile.gif)

Hahaha that's what I do to H2O man does he ever get p*ssed. But when we stop to fish channels that's when he gets me back by catching all the fish LOL

What!? You guys do that on purpose!

Sometimes if you keep doing something so pathetic the first few times, sooner or later, people will just stop asking you to do it.

ps. When are we going fishing again...I'll row ;)

So Apparently for Bullshead we'll just stick with an electric motor. ......... <--poke--<

• 1 month later...

Finally pulled the trigger on a boat....should pick it up from Clack in a few weeks. Couldn't pass up some price cuts on the new 2008's.....she's Medicine Hat Tiger orange....should fit in well around here! Thanks for all the input! If your out this way let me know and we'll go catch some monsters.....they might see us coming in this thing though.....

post-2704-1236228033.jpg