Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Exposition

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if you want to buy some stuff at the expo that most will exept debt cards or cash?

That will probably be up to the individual retail displays. Might be best to contact them ahead of time(or check a website) to see what they take. Most will take anything, but it depends on their card terminal arrangements.

j

Was a fairly quiet night tonight. The casting pond is bigger this year so that 3 or 4 overhead casters can try out rods at the same time. The old one is off to the side but there's little room for backcasts and the ceiling is too low for spey rods. The setup is a bit better with the theaters on opposite sides, but the mic on the tying one wasn't working.

Went tonight as well. I enjoyed the setup as a first time expo goer. One thing that was slightly disappointing was how the casting competition featured "pros" from the booths and the general public as well. Is that typical in these types of competitions? I noticed, however, that all the "pros" that participated were from some fly shop in Whistler and that noone from Calgary shops participated. Applause to our shops for having such great etiquette.

Be careful walking whilst random casting/rod testing is being done, I had to duck for cover from some guy that looked as though he was trying to land a part in "The Passion of the Christ".

Couldn't been me, I wasn't there

Went tonight as well. I enjoyed the setup as a first time expo goer. One thing that was slightly disappointing was how the casting competition featured "pros" from the booths and the general public as well. Is that typical in these types of competitions? I noticed, however, that all the "pros" that participated were from some fly shop in Whistler and that noone from Calgary shops participated. Applause to our shops for having such great etiquette.

I am not sure how the divisions of the casting contest work. Ussually at events like these it is normal to have a pro division(industry professional ie guide or shop employee) and a amateur division. The guys at the Wright and Mcgill booth next to our our sponsoring the event. They are good guys and have helped us out a bit both this year and last when we were also neighbours. We were happy to participate in their event but most certainly didn't have the intention of walking away with the prizes. Actually I haven't cast a single hander since the summer as all my fall and winter fishing is done with the two hander so I am sure I am in no danger of taking the prize.

Most certainly if our participation has upset you please come by our booth I would be happy to discuss and apologize.

Brian Niska

I am not sure how the divisions of the casting contest work. Ussually at events like these it is normal to have a pro division(industry professional ie guide or shop employee) and a amateur division. The guys at the Wright and Mcgill booth next to our our sponsoring the event. They are good guys and have helped us out a bit both this year and last when we were also neighbours. We were happy to participate in their event but most certainly didn't have the intention of walking away with the prizes. Actually I haven't cast a single hander since the summer as all my fall and winter fishing is done with the two hander so I am sure I am in no danger of taking the prize.

Most certainly if our participation has upset you please come by our booth I would be happy to discuss and apologize.

Brian Niska

Thanks for the explanation Brian and folks, this was my first expo and I didn't know how these things worked. I actually spent some time at your booth yesterday and enjoyed talking to one of your guys named Pat (I think). Anyhow, no apologies necessary. I posted because I went with a friend and his son and the son actually wanted to entered, but was a bit nervous about having to cast with guys who had such great techniques, like your gentleman who gave the spey lesson. Anyhow, I think its generous of Wright and McGill to sponsor the event and perhaps you can pass along our thanks to them for the event and the suggestion that they split the competition up next time into the pro/am style. -1978

spent 4 hrs there today, nice to see some familiar faces, kick tires on a few rods, try out things...see what's new, etc. overall some of the tweaks from last year's show were welcomed.

and of course i got tricked into spending more than i should have.

again.

oh well got to keep the local economic engines rolling...

I went and checked out the Expo today for a couple hours and it was a lot of fun! Definitely liked all the people that were at the booths, all very friendly and knowledgeable about their products. I liked the casting pond in the middle the most though, I think I flailed around with at least 5 different rods lol. It's pretty interesting watching all the people casting and see the range of abilities. Pretty sure I saw a few "Passion of the Christ" people lol The spey casting demo by Brian from the Whistler booth was pretty good as well. Is Brian the Whistler guy on this forum??

I definitely need to save up my money for a spey rod now :) :) :)