Fly Fusion Forums

More From Peta

Oh christ.

"Like their surface-dwelling cousins, the land kittens, sea kittens enjoy being petted. Their lack of arms makes it difficult for them to pet back, but they often gently rub against each other as a sign of affection."

Heh, I wanna see someone sue PETA after their kid tries to pet a pike, 'cuda, shark, etc.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I made my own sea kitten, well hes a bow river kitten to be exact.

sort if a Mr. T meets Chinese opium bar owner.

P.S. Cat nip = bait chuck er!

post-2377-1231466959.jpg

Peta always reminds me that natural selection does not always work.

ha ha.

see this will & testament from the founder?

http://www.peta.org/feat/newkirk/will.html

i really hope i outlive her as i want to be first in line for a burger at the bbq [2a], as well i want a nice hat [2b] to wear as i harvest sea kittens, and i'll be the first to give her a postmort wet willy [2g] on parliment hill.

Not a bad marketing ploy I think. While it seems totally silly to us, it shows they are thinking long term as this is obviously targeted towards kids. If they get the kids on board, only a matter of time before we all have to take up golf.

We tend to dismiss PETA as a bunch of fruitcakes. While they may be just that, they are getting more and more members. Their operating budget this year was 30 Million dollars. 1.9 million people subscribe to their e-mail list. And they are only going to get bigger.

While we tend to write them off, it's always been interesting to me how often people who fish can echo PETA views, to a point. We care about the welfare of the fish as well. Some of the biggest debates on this board are over fish handling or ethics associated with how we catch fish. PETA just takes that talk to it's logical conclusion. We think it's ok to catch them, but not harm them in other ways. They think catching them is harming them, so it should be banned. At least they aren't hypocrites about it.

I'm not defending PETA here. I completely disagree with almost all of their stances. Of course I do as I think they are a direct danger to my favorite past time, and will probably win in the end (though that is far down the road). But just because I disagree with them does not mean I underestimate them.

I think they are a direct danger to my favorite past time, and will probably win in the end (though that is far down the road).

Rick your post is right on the money, look at how in 2 generations the number of hunters has diminished dramatically, and the funny thing is now we have to many deer in the population.

now I am not advocating law breaking here but they only win when you lay down your rod.

From my cold dead hands. CH

In order to combat them groups that they are against need to properly promote they activities to the same target groups that Peta focuses on. It does work and for all kinds of agendas....proof is in the events around the world.....child bombers and soldiers.......I've seen the soldier version first hand and it's a very difficult thing to see as it may become necessary to defend oneself against these children.

I don't know that the decline of hunters and fishers is due to PETA so much as other shifts in society. Why sit in the woods for hours on end waiting for a deer/moose/whatever when you can shoot plenty of things in a few minutes in a video game? Meat from the grocery store is also pretty cheap and widely available so there's less focus on subsistence. Most people want beef, chicken, and pork because that's all they've ever tasted and have no real interest in wild game. Pretty much the same can be said of salmon, tuna, and so on from the grocery store as opposed to a brookie from a mountain stream.

Rick, I agree with you to an extent about parallels between PETA and C&R fishing, but I think the real differentiator is motive. I'm purely a C&R guy because I don't care much for the taste of fish other than fish and chips and some sushi. My motive is to let them live so someone else can catch them and in the case of bigger fish it's so that they can contribute back in to the gene pool. Purely selfish from a fisherman's standpoint.

I don't know that the decline of hunters and fishers is due to PETA so much as other shifts in society. Why sit in the woods for hours on end waiting for a deer/moose/whatever when you can shoot plenty of things in a few minutes in a video game? Meat from the grocery store is also pretty cheap and widely available so there's less focus on subsistence. Most people want beef, chicken, and pork because that's all they've ever tasted and have no real interest in wild game. Pretty much the same can be said of salmon, tuna, and so on from the grocery store as opposed to a brookie from a mountain stream.

Rick, I agree with you to an extent about parallels between PETA and C&R fishing, but I think the real differentiator is motive. I'm purely a C&R guy because I don't care much for the taste of fish other than fish and chips and some sushi. My motive is to let them live so someone else can catch them and in the case of bigger fish it's so that they can contribute back in to the gene pool. Purely selfish from a fisherman's standpoint.

Oh, I don't think the decline in the numbers of hunters and fishermen have anything at all to do with PETA, up to today anyway. If and when PETA gets it's wish, hunting and fishing will be done, totally. I agree with your reasoning for the decline. As society has shifted, the need for subsistence hunting has ended. What's left is us, the recreational hunters and fishermen.

I am a completely selfish C&R guy myself. I do care about the fish's welfare, but really only so I, or others, can catch him again. I know there are lots who feel differently, and I totally respect that opinion.

Jayhad,

From mine too!