Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying Lately?

Flytyer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD where do you order your winging materials. I want to switch to fully dressed for a while and have a good selection of GP crests, and floss in assorted colours. However I have nothing of good enough quality or any nice matched feathers for the wings. Got some swan in black and pinky purple but they are not very high quality and they have been picked over pretty good.

Oh and if you could have one book on tying Fully dressed flies what would it be?

As Flytyer said the Radencich book is the best one out there, I prize it, and often refer to it like the Benchside referance. For materials that's always a tough one. Have had luck with some stuff on ebay. and a few other online sites like creeksideflyfishing.com. I buy most of my stuff now in a Kelowna shop called "Trout Waters Fly and Tackle". I usually stock up on a few thing when I go out there to visit relatives.Will be out there all next week as a matter a fact. They have some great quality classic materials like bustard .

I like to be able to see materials I buy now. Been burnt a few times on mail order stuff. Classic materials are getting more and more expensive. And the quality is sometimes poor. It's not a cheap area of tying and I tend to do it less and less because of the increasing cost. I really enjoy tying Spey and Dee flies and winged wets much more. Classics tend to be more of a labor thing with a lot of hours needed to compete the various stages.

Have fun

Since it just slightly too cold to fish, I've been tying stone flies this morning. Rather than putting on straight legs I tried knotting them then putting a bit of glue on the joints to prevent unravelling. I think it gives a more realistic leg.

Max you were asking about the #14 SJW I've been tying. Here's what one looks like....They've been working great up until the -20' stuff started. One nice thing about them is I can tie one every couple of minutes.

post-1741-1229878424.jpg

post-1741-1229878456.jpg

Yesterday I bought some Whiting speyhackle and started tying so called speyflies.

It is certainly different than tying a dryfly or a nymph, but yet another challenge.

I also have some trouble getting the wing correct, but as they are not for display I think they look alright.

100_0058a.jpg

I noticed the trapped fibre in the picture and I corrected that already on the fly.

OOOOOoooo pretty flies everyone! The organized boxes kill me too.

I'm not sure I remember how to tie anymore. I'm thinking of making a winter project of tying all the wet and dry flies on this old catalog page I have from the 1950's.

Also, there's a show coming up in Chicago, so I'd better get to work on a realistic of some kind. That usually takes some inspiration, and you can't really schedule that.

I'm still trying to create a better stone nymph. I finally was able to tie a knot in a goose biot for a realistic leg. Note: use your bobbin threader. I also added laquer. Still not what I want but I'm making some headway I think...

post-1741-1230402811.jpg

I've been ting princes and midges the last little bit, got 4 more packs of hooks for each fly to finish then it is time to start ting some of the stone flies that worked amazing for me this year, hoping they work again this year. But other then that I tied a few clousers and some bull trout streamers.

Well thank you Max.

I started tying the wetflies yesterday. I haven't made wetfly wings in a long time. I thought I would make one of each fly on the catalog page, but got better at them as I went along and decided to cut the first few bad ones down to the hook and start over. I'll post photos of the completed project.

gil knot some thick rubber legs, larvae lace or vinyl ribbing..... mich easier too work with i can make a ton of knots down the cord then cut it afterwords and its way more durable! i like too tye my stones dark backed with a light tan/grey belly... hear is a old photo of my "robinstone" still my most productive and favorite stone ive bin fishing for 3 years now.. cranked out 75 of em last month.... i like longshank streamer hooks. its got alot of steps but all i use in it is rubber legs, dubbing, wire and thinskin... i add lead on teh inside and squish it with plyers too look more like the stones(wide and flat) i fisn too many paterns are too round and deep...

054jpg.jpg