Fly Fusion Forums

Sw Alberta User Study

Last spring my wife dragged me to the Art Gallery in Frank. It was very worthwhile as there was an exhibit of wildlife photos taken by remote cameras that were activated by motion detectors and heat sensors. It was very cool with shots of pretty much every type of animal in the foothills/mountains from the Highwood and going south. This was all part of a study going on at the U of C. There is also a survey involved and everyone who uses the area for recreational purposes is welcome to fill it out. Here is the link

http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~rlhaddoc/index.html

hopefully the short sighted Legislature won't just sleep through this issue. Good survey. I just hope that too many gear heads don't botch the results.

gearheads and random campers are citizens too Hoss, are you saying that only people sharing your viewpoint need take that survey? I call bullshit

gearheads and random campers are citizens too Hoss, are you saying that only people sharing your viewpoint need take that survey? I call bullshit

I think perhaps he was suggesting that an on-line survey has the potential to be abused by a small minority.

But who is the minority? Lots more random campers than fly fishermen I bet(at least in the castle system). I see a lot of quads and dirt bikes too. More than fly fishermen?

You may not have been here when that was not the case, but it was not always this way. The random camping moved in gradually at first, then in force, and many, many people stopped going there - myself included. I started going to the North part of the Elk in the 90"s, but then...well I won't go there again.

Having spoken with Rachel, she is interested in all user groups responding to the survey. It is after all a user survey, and perhaps gearheads are greater users than flyfishers, who are probably greater than say hikers. I know that the survey was circulated in the communities of southern Alberta, Pincher Creek, Crowsnest, Cardston etc. Prior to being sent out in Calgary. So the final outcome will be very interesting, as they say.

yup. I'd say numbers wise that motor recreation is a bigger user group down there. At least they are more recognizable. So why does a smaller user group (ie hunting fishing) have a drastically larger set of regulations to follow? Which was the point about throwing the survey results in one direction. I don't want to see environmentally conscious people (fly fishers, hikers, hunters etc) being dubbed as a small bitching group to be ignored only because more people who filled out the survey use ATV's instead of binoculars and their feet.