Fly Fusion Forums

Big Reel Questions

Jayhad

Hey guys and gals, I am looking at a new reel to put on a spey rod. I would really like the Loop Opti Speedrunner, but it is getting out there for cost vs value.

I have narrowed things down to maybe another sage, I am really happy with the one I have but I also like new shinny toys.

So, I have narrowed it down to the GLoomis Current in the 9/10 size http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/re...D=1224714675048

Or the Hardy Zane in the # 2 http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=view&pid=423

is there anything else I should be looking at? I have owned islanders in the past and I really don't like the look of the reels although they perform great.... but if I can't look good fishing what point is there..haha

Thanks Jay

I fish a Van Staal C-Vex 9/12 on my 9 weight 14'3 Z-axis..Not a better reel for drag, durabilty and lightness in my mind. I have never seen a better drag system then a VS, period. Balances the stick bang on. Could turn around and use it for tarpon without thinking about it..

The price is up there though.

Hardy and Loop reels are being built in Korea....I wouldn't drop the money on a Zane because it's a hardy..no longer british made, not worth it. Well overpriced for having a name tag on the reel, you could buy a Saracione for that money.

Hatch's are very pretty and great drags, but on the heavier side

Nautilus, Danielsson, or Loop Evotec if you're looking for shiny with a kick ass sealed drag. If you want good value for the price, these are in my opinion "buy once, replace never" reels that will take a pretty good amount of abuse. I own four Nautilus reels (5, 8, 10, and 12T) that have seen quite a bit of abuse and no maintenance other than running them under the tap once a month or so. Last weekend I dropped the 10 on a paved parking lot from around eye level and there wasn't even a chip in it, let alone a dent. If you're considering spending the money on a Zane you can pay the same or a little more for one of these three reels. Nautilus are made in Florida and Danielssons in Sweden if that matters to you.

Lots of excellent choices here, I do like my Islander except it's a bit to flashy looking. Probably depends on your budget and tastes. I have a couple of Pflueger Presidents that I'm happy with for a solid reel that you can bang around. Though one of my fav's is still my old Hardy Marquis. Something about them old clickers.

I'll be the first to disagree with the Evotecs..nothing but problems from the ones i've seen

honestly, if you're willing to spend 400-1000 bucks on a reel, it's very hard to go wrong..every manufacture has their top end reel, so go take a look and give them a spin. See what works for you

what problems ahve you seen brent? please enlighten us oh wise one.. do you even own one or know anyone else do does..

Way to keep repping Loop when you have no idea what you're talking about.. I do own a Evotec HD 8/10, and have had problems from the day i've had it, it has been used ONCE and it was CRAP. The drag is SHOT, i can reel against the drag at the highest setting, just as fast as i can reel without any drag on. It also is super sticky, the word smoothness is not in it's vocabulary.. They're poorly designed with a reel cap just waiting to be lost when you're switching spools, the drag is worse then a lot of the TFO midges.

I talked to Loop in AUGUST about getting this fixed, and they STILL have not done anything for me. It took literally 2 months, and a rather viscious email to finally get them to ask me to send it to them the day before i go to BC, for a $60 dollar charge just to look at it. This reel was supposed to be coming with me as my skagit reel for BC, and i've been put in a position by loop that has left me scrambling for reels. Any other reel company would have replaced it or fixed it and have RETURNED it by that time, twice over!. A company that does not treat it's customers is not worth it, when there are many other companies that will go out of their way to make it right.

Maybe you should advertise the fact that you get commision towards free or cheaper gear on loop products that get sold due to you pushing someone that way before you make a post about how great they are. How many multi's did you "break on big browns" which were really bottom in that week span of the worm hatch? And you called TFO's too ****ing oftens. Loop = european TFO

Personally, i do not believe there is a better reel readily available then the Van Staal C-Vex. Until you've picked one up, spun it, or fished with one you'll just be going off words..

Just like anything else Jayhad, it's your money, so use it wisely and go around and figure out what you like, take our recommendations, but don't live off them. Go spin some reels, figure out what you like in looks, drag, weight, warranty, and go from there

ps. If anyone wants a one time used Loop Evotec HD 8/10 (a perfect spey reel) i'll be glad to let it go for $200

Lots of excellent choices here, I do like my Islander except it's a bit to flashy looking. Probably depends on your budget and tastes. I have a couple of Pflueger Presidents that I'm happy with for a solid reel that you can bang around. Though one of my fav's is still my old Hardy Marquis. Something about them old clickers.

I have to agree with Doc, I love the Hardy's. I fished salmon last week on a Ross Momentum beside a Hardy Bougle MK IV. Wow, the Hardy kicked it's ass. No drag, all palm, more fun than should be legal. I am selling all my reels to switch over (except my salt stuff).

al

I do like my Islander except it's a bit to flashy looking.

That's funny, I used to have Islander centre pins I used on the coast.... great reels but for me not flashy enough... that's why they are out of my consideration

BCUBE when you get back we'll talk about your Evotech for $200... it will probably work for another one of my ideas.

[quote name='bcube' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:02 PM' post='64959'

Personally, i do not believe there is a better reel readily available then the Van Staal C-Vex. Until you've picked one up, spun it, or fished with one you'll just be going off words..

I'll second Brent on this one - have in the past had three evotecs which have been replaced by Van Staals. The VS reels are awesome. I also like the new Sage 6000 series, they seem like they will be great.

well I think I am coming down close to a decision, I super dig the Galvan Torque.... in green of course. http://www.galvanflyreels.com/torque.html

I guess I head down to Westwinds and see.

I am also liking the Nautilus CCFs, I really wanted the GL Current but all the research I am finding is they a more show then go. It would suck being in the bush for a month with no drag,

Keep the info coming guys, it is truly benefitial.

well I think I am coming down close to a decision, I super dig the Galvan Torque.... in green of course. http://www.galvanflyreels.com/torque.html

I guess I head down to Westwinds and see.

I am also liking the Nautilus CCFs, I really wanted the GL Current but all the research I am finding is they a more show then go. It would suck being in the bush for a month with no drag,

Keep the info coming guys, it is truly benefitial.

Bah, c'mon you've fished salmon on center pin reels so you know that drag is for the weak! I think (for the most part) nothing in fresh water that I've fished for requires much in the way of heavy drag and nothing is as as sensitive to pressure adjustments as your hand.

I am admittedly somewhat of a newly coined zealot on this.

al

I fish a Van Staal C-Vex 9/12 on my 9 weight 14'3 Z-axis..Not a better reel for drag, durabilty and lightness in my mind. I have never seen a better drag system then a VS, period. Balances the stick bang on. Could turn around and use it for tarpon without thinking about it..

The price is up there though.

Hardy and Loop reels are being built in Korea....I wouldn't drop the money on a Zane because it's a hardy..no longer british made, not worth it. Well overpriced for having a name tag on the reel, you could buy a Saracione for that money.

Hatch's are very pretty and great drags, but on the heavier side

By the way I own a Hatch reel, not one for a spey reel but for my single handle and it is a very light weight reel not heavy at all.

Way to keep repping Loop when you have no idea what you're talking about.. I do own a Evotec HD 8/10, and have had problems from the day i've had it, it has been used ONCE and it was CRAP. The drag is SHOT, i can reel against the drag at the highest setting, just as fast as i can reel without any drag on. It also is super sticky, the word smoothness is not in it's vocabulary.. They're poorly designed with a reel cap just waiting to be lost when you're switching spools, the drag is worse then a lot of the TFO midges.

I talked to Loop in AUGUST about getting this fixed, and they STILL have not done anything for me. It took literally 2 months, and a rather viscious email to finally get them to ask me to send it to them the day before i go to BC, for a $60 dollar charge just to look at it. This reel was supposed to be coming with me as my skagit reel for BC, and i've been put in a position by loop that has left me scrambling for reels. Any other reel company would have replaced it or fixed it and have RETURNED it by that time, twice over!. A company that does not treat it's customers is not worth it, when there are many other companies that will go out of their way to make it right.

Maybe you should advertise the fact that you get commision towards free or cheaper gear on loop products that get sold due to you pushing someone that way before you make a post about how great they are. How many multi's did you "break on big browns" which were really bottom in that week span of the worm hatch? And you called TFO's too ****ing oftens. Loop = european TFO

Just like anything else Jayhad, it's your money, so use it wisely and go around and figure out what you like, take our recommendations, but don't live off them. Go spin some reels, figure out what you like in looks, drag, weight, warranty, and go from there

ps. If anyone wants a one time used Loop Evotec HD 8/10 (a perfect spey reel) i'll be glad to let it go for $200

u should jsu adjust your loop reel.. they come with a allen wrench so u can change the drag spectrum depending on what you are fishing for.... come on grand master u should no that... the reels come with a loose drag but taking 5 second too read the instructions would have fixed your problems..... u can tighten em up to a point they wont even move if u wish or back em right off too have no drag atol..... or any drag spectrum in between... nuff said.... personally i love this feature... too bad u had one bad problem with your reel.. what was the problem by the way? too dumb too read how too beef up the drag? shitty problem totally.... if u cant read..... yes i am a loop pro staff guide and make commission IF SOMEONE GIVES MY NAME WHEN BUYING if not then i make no commission.. and were in any post have i told someone too do so? i rep products i believe in and am honored too be on loops team.. only staff i would want too represent in teh world.. and use i my gear more than you could imagine or want too believe.... so far i have never had a prolem with any of my reels.... they dont stick tehy are sick!..i could have bin on sages team but i dont believe in tehre product.. i believe in loop. they are top of the line and have made more innovations than you could imagine... what company came out with the first large arbour reel LOOP, goran andersson invented teh underhand scandi cast who happens too be LOOPs chief designer.... they make lines for there rods so everything is balanced perfectly.. no need too find a line "right for the rod" when the company building teh gear makes one for ya.. and i broke 3 rods this year.. beats the hell out of the dozen or more i broke lastyear of various companies.... ignorance is bliss in your world brent....... comparing them too tfo is pure ignorance.. who was troutbums first sponsor that game em amazing gear to fish em all over the world? and after countles sponsors now repping em what rods and reel do they still use? .. LLLLLLLLLLOOP.. yea they make total junk backed by some of the best in teh industry....... a little jealousy i suppose too..... i love how defenceive u get with no real back other than i dont like it so its bad... now lets hear your rebuttal..

Perhaps i'm not the one that needs a reading lesson, and i can tell you i certainly don't need a "constructing literate sentence's while using proper vocabulary and spelling" lesson, like someone. Why no reply to the part about the reel being beyond sticky...seems that can't be changed with an allen key, since the drag is pooched. And if you really think that i didn't use the manual, you are truely beyond stupidly ignorant.

You're telling me, that if those AEG guys were offered more money by a different company for the sponsorship and advertisement, they wouldn't take it? That's just being plain silly..

Ohh, and from what i've heard from people that have actually fished with the AEG guys, they're complete hacks anyway.

Btw, Danielsson was the innovator of the Large Arbour, not loop...

u should jsu adjust your loop reel.. they come with a allen wrench so u can change the drag spectrum depending on what you are fishing for.... come on grand master u should no that... the reels come with a loose drag but taking 5 second too read the instructions would have fixed your problems..... u can tighten em up to a point they wont even move if u wish or back em right off too have no drag atol..... or any drag spectrum in between... nuff said.... personally i love this feature... too bad u had one bad problem with your reel.. what was the problem by the way? too dumb too read how too beef up the drag? shitty problem totally.... if u cant read..... yes i am a loop pro staff guide and make commission IF SOMEONE GIVES MY NAME WHEN BUYING if not then i make no commission.. and were in any post have i told someone too do so? i rep products i believe in and am honored too be on loops team.. only staff i would want too represent in teh world.. and use i my gear more than you could imagine or want too believe.... so far i have never had a prolem with any of my reels.... they dont stick tehy are sick!..i could have bin on sages team but i dont believe in tehre product.. i believe in loop. they are top of the line and have made more innovations than you could imagine... what company came out with the first large arbour reel LOOP, goran andersson invented teh underhand scandi cast who happens too be LOOPs chief designer.... they make lines for there rods so everything is balanced perfectly.. no need too find a line "right for the rod" when the company building teh gear makes one for ya.. and i broke 3 rods this year.. beats the hell out of the dozen or more i broke lastyear of various companies.... ignorance is bliss in your world brent....... comparing them too tfo is pure ignorance.. who was troutbums first sponsor that game em amazing gear to fish em all over the world? and after countles sponsors now repping em what rods and reel do they still use? .. LLLLLLLLLLOOP.. yea they make total junk backed by some of the best in teh industry....... a little jealousy i suppose too..... i love how defenceive u get with no real back other than i dont like it so its bad... now lets hear your rebuttal..

All I can say to this is OWNED!!!!!!!!!!

After owning my Sage SLT 7wt 9 foot for a month I broke the tip and 7 months later I STILL don't have a replacement tip, and this is after I sent them the rod and a money order for the replacement tip.

I don't think one company is better then the next, only reason why TFO is nice is I can go down the road and get a new tip at Springbrook.

Perhaps i'm not the one that needs a reading lesson, and i can tell you i certainly don't need a "constructing literate sentence's while using proper vocabulary and spelling" lesson, like someone.

Max you gunna be alright... that was rough!

Jayhad, I recently got a used Loop CLW which is definetly one of the cheaper loop reels... and its so nice to fish, i havent fished any other Loop models but im sure there a lot nicer! I hate making these type of decisions...