Fly Fusion Forums

Thinking Of Voting Liberal?

I'd hardly call 23% of Albertans voting Conservative a herd mentality. But fortunately for those 821,000 their vote was all the checks and balances we needed to protect against the Bloc and self serving Liberals of the East.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hardly call 23% of Albertans voting Conservative a herd mentality. But fortunately for those 821,000 their vote was all the checks and balances we needed to protect against the Bloc and self serving Liberals of the East.

Well maybe the coverage I was watching where the conservatives swept Alberta and where the riding results showed no races I remember that could reasonably be called contests were just media hype. Damn CTV. Possibly you are talking about percentage of refgistered voters?

Interesting however that when the conservatives sweep an area its a check and balance, but when the other side sweeps they are self serving. I'm excluding the bloc here as I consider them mostly irrelevant.

As I said, I probably vote conservative here as well (which makes me a self serving bastard), but I stil maintain the system here is a bit out of whack. Us against them is not healthy, regardless of which side you are on

Well maybe the coverage I was watching where the conservatives swept Alberta and where the riding results showed no races I remember that could reasonably be called contests were just media hype. Damn CTV. Possibly you are talking about percentage of refgistered voters?

You bet, I'm using the number of people who voted conservative in Alberta versus Alberta's population. Using just the registered voters though 64% voted Conservative, not exactly an overwhelming majority in my opinion. Somebody had to win didn't they? And like I said, thankfully conservatives to protect against the Liberals. As for the media hype, it's just that, hype, and you sound a lot smarter than me so should know better.

Interesting however that when the conservatives sweep an area its a check and balance, but when the other side sweeps they are self serving. I'm excluding the bloc here as I consider them mostly irrelevant.

Well, I'm not saying the Conservatives are any less self serving than Liberals but still, checks and balances. I'm sure 1.3 million Quebecois would disagree with you though.

As I said, I probably vote conservative here as well (which makes me a self serving bastard), but I stil maintain the system here is a bit out of whack. Us against them is not healthy, regardless of which side you are on

True that.

Us against them is not healthy, regardless of which side you are on

thanks for pointing that out rick. i've noticed that you're really good at seeing different perspectives and hearing people out on their arguments.

so many people these days (including myself and our political leaders) are so partisan and biased that they'll simply dismiss arguments or policies that come from 'the other side' regardless of their merit. it's immature, disrespectful, selfish and irritating.

thanks for pointing that out rick. i've noticed that you're really good at seeing different perspectives and hearing people out on their arguments.

so many people these days (including myself and our political leaders) are so partisan and biased that they'll simply dismiss arguments or policies that come from 'the other side' regardless of their merit. it's immature, disrespectful, selfish and irritating.

It is certainly preferable to argue against the argument instead of against the person making the argument. And it is easy to have perspective when you don't have a really strong opinion either way. But I, like most everyone else, have my hot button topics that tend to make me come out guns blazing, damn the consequences. Also I've found I'm much more likely to lash out against the person when I don't have an answer to his position. I call it the "oh yeah, well you're stupid" defense.

And our political leaders are just a reflection of us.

Not to hijack or wade in but for those who would

like a break from tying this winter I encourage you

to try a locate a copy of ....here it goes...

"How the Rich are Destroying the Earth" by

Herve' Kempf. Was orginally only available

in French but is now available in English.

Google provides lots of hits. Quick read.

I have no financial interest whatsoever

in the book but it sure can shake or

provide some balance into what you may think

and no it has not made it to Ohra's must read

list yet.

Cheers

It is certainly preferable to argue against the argument instead of against the person making the argument.

Thats beautiful. Canadians say they don't want mud slinging politics like the US (and you have to admit, their comercials are nothing but), but when it came to the debates, I found Obama/McCain much more civil. Dion/Layton/Blochead were an embarrasment. Its a good thing the rest of the world doesn't watch our "debates".

But I, like most everyone else, have my hot button topics that tend to make me come out guns blazing, damn the consequences.

Ya, like the big brother/little brother anology. I'd be blazing too if it wasn't so true.