Fly Fusion Forums

Oddest Fly Tying Materials

Flytyer

I was browsing another board looking at some fly patterns and I noticed that some of the materials used are some of the oddest I've ever seen. One pattern called for a sequin installed at the front of the eye, another called for the braided hair tie backs that some of the ladies use.

Anyone else ever come across an odd material or use something that is out of the ordinary? Interested in hearing more on this topic.

Carpet fibers

latex condom (latex caddis & such)

Wife's "curly hair"

matchbox toy axle tube

guitar string wire

about 4 bazillion different types of foam

cat's whiskers

dental floss

damn near anything that works really!

Caught a brookie out of the Horse with a full back I tied with my wife's cats backside under-hair (was outa black marabou) - also used fine brush (duster) hairs for antenea and tails for tricos and Baetis, not very classy but they also never crease or break like natural hair

Ahhh yeah ...so what fly/pattern calls for wife's "curly hair", that is all kinds of nasty LOL

One of my favorites that I see all the time is a fly using a person's personal dogs hair.

It makes me laugh because they are the only person that has access to the material.

I think fly tying has hit a stage where everyone is trying to come up with the next big fly that hasn't been done before.

So they are using odd materials that separates their ties from patterns that have already been done.

Ribbon

Stretchy bead string {looks like larva lace}

Computer packing material for wing material

Check your dryer lint trap. some interesting dubbing there

Scotch magic tape (stick it to feathers and cut out wing material)

Xmas trimming

Old appliance power cords for wire ribbing

for a fewthings

I love found material

Static bag for scud backs.

Doll hair for streamers.

A friend's daughter combed their rabbit one night while we where having some pops around the fire. An odd brown colour. We were going to go on a raft float down the Bow the next day with them. Told her I was going to invent a fly with it and called it the moxie fly (the rabbits name is Moxie). Sunny hot day with thousands of rafters. It was the only fly hauling in the whites. No trout. Just whities.

The Fly Tyer magazine did an article with several patterns using fibres from those bright colored dusters....tried a couple for pike but only caught small mouth bass....got torn up pretty quick. As for dryer lint....forget it....way too absorbent. just get some wet and see what it looks like....and tough to work with. Yeah, I tried!

Airedale underfur and guard hairs worked okay.....never did catch anything on 'em. Probably smelled like wet dog!!

Yes the wider elastic bands!

I was tying deer hair mice a number of years back and when I cut the elastics and tied them in with the inside of the natural curl of the rubber facing forward, every time I stripped it the curl would unfold as if the legs were swimming and then coming forward for another stroke. I think it got as much attention from entertaining myself as it did from the pike!

Short and curlies from a redhead - I seen these for sale on eBay uk advertized as fly tying materials w/ special fish attracting properties. the crop sold for about 70$ canadain. $$

Fake eyelashes, tim hortons' stir stix, coffee beans and Bamboo. The NLFT have an Iron Tyer comp every year that produces some very interesting looking flies.

post-1-1180813199_thumb.jpg

I thought of another while out fishing tonight.

I will take and post a picture when I get home tomorrow.

I use orange survey tape on a Shrimp pattern I tie for Steelhead.

It looks pretty good and the fly works great too.

It took a little longer than I said, but here is a picture of the fly I mentioned.

Works well for steelhead and I've heard it works for Bones and other Salt water fish as well.

I didn't have any tied, so I tied this one up using my travel tying kit and some survey tape I found yesterday.

Shrimp.jpg

I use thongs for fly tying.

Oh! I guess they are called "flip flop" sandals these days. Foam for pike sliders.

And regarding the certain human hairs ... I thought it was illegal to use "scented" lures in bait-ban waters. :rolleyes:

when tying M.O.E. flies (mother of epoxy), i use scrapings off a burnable CD and mix with the epoxy before applying to give a "bass boat" finish to the head...

That's a pretty cool idea. Got a pic of a completed fly?