Gil

Hook Band  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your brand?

• Diiachi?
    • Tempco?
    • Mustad?
    • Other?

dai-riki!!! all the way.. same hooks as daiichi but i get 50 for the same price... daiichi if i cant get any dai-riki mustad are cheap junk that bend and partidge make some coold hooks only they have htat i use fmtime too time... only mustad hook i own are the sjw hooks.. tiemco make some good stuff too but i find they are oto rigid and break from time too time

I voted for Tiemco because thats what virtually my entire hook inventory is made up of. I have noticed like the others that they are not the same quality as they used to be though. Like Max, I've found that some of the newer dry fly hooks can be brittle. All the Daiichi's I've used have been great hooks, and I've also been pretty impressed with the Dai-Riki's that I've used although they can sometimes be a little bit too soft - some of their nymph hooks have straightened out on me a bit too easily.

Totally depends on model.

Since Fish Tales brought Dai-Riki in I've been pretty heavy into those, but I find Mustads are fine for size 12 and up.

You should check the wire weight of the hook you're using - the Tiemco 2487s are too fine and bend out constantly; the 2457s are bombproof.

Those Partridge scud hooks are the best hook I've used, but I wish they'd make them a bit smaller. Their 20 is a little bigger than a 14, but if you could get a 22 or 24 I'd use them for a lot more ties.

I have been using mustad hooks all the time.

I have no complaint about them for how long that I have been using them but this year I've had a few of them bent back realized that the fish wasn't holding on. Oh well. In that case I will checking more often to see if the hook is ok.

Also I was wondering if that pack of hooks wasn't made properly to begin with. I will start a new bunch of flies with a new set of mustad hooks and see if this continues and if it does I will be looking for a better brand of hooks in the future.

Tight lines.... B)

I really like Daiichi but the price sometimes bothers me. I have bent several mustad hooks right straight. never had any bad experiences with tiemco but they are only a small portion of my hook inventory. I got all excited on ebay and bought some (100) togen size 16 scud hooks I haven't fished them much. any one have any opinions of the togen hooks?

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try Daiichi for my smaller flies, which I'll be making heavy use of this winter. I agree there probably isn't much reason to put a ton of money into larger nymph patterns....

I have had trouble with the point of partridges breaking. It must be the way I de-barb them. I find the barb snaps instead of bending like with other hooks. All the other high quality brands I have not had problems with. I like Dia-riki for the value.

Has anyone tried some of the cheaper, high quality hooks (I forget the name). I remember some talk on the board about them, and some people were going to pick some up (from ebay or a supplier from BC?).