Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Shop

Paul,

Damn, I like arguing with you!

I just do not have the time to be "ethical" when I shop. It takes too much research to determine who is or who is not ethical. Some companies are obviously ethical, some are obviously not. Most lie in some grey area in between. Pretty difficult to figure out how ethical/unethical they are.

I will say I do not blame any big box store for being what they are. The reason they exist is they make money. People like to shop there for the convenience. It's not the store's fault. Its ours. I also would question the change in water flow. Is one big parking lot inherently worse than 10 little ones? I'm not saying you are not correct, just that I would need to do a bit of research. And I'm not completely convinced about the extra driving as well. While you may bike/walk/use transit when you shop (which I certainly find commendable) I would venture that the vast majority of us do not. So in many cases, my bet is one big trip is often better than 5 little ones.

I drive a Saturn. But I think I'm getting a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT with the Hemi. When everyone else goes big, I go small. And vice versa. You can sure pick up a nice truck for CHEAP right now! Environmentally friendly? Uh, probably not. But sometimes (3 kids and university approaching) economics rules out, when shopping for flies or trucks.

Some of you guys sure have a narrow view of the world.

A store like Bass Pro is good for the local economy and all of the small specific shops like fly shops, archery shops and the likes. You better believe that it will be a tourist attraction, non hunting and fishing people will be attracted and spin off will be they will pick up the passtime. This will benefit the local shops. How many of you started flyfishing, hunting, etc. by going to a specialty shop? This will create more interest in our dying passtime and hopefully get more people, youth, involved. When was the last time that an outdoors store made the news around here before BPS- how about NEVER!!! Calgary needs this to take hunting and fishing more mainstream and in the public eye.

Some of you should leave your little dark box for a while and see what the world has to offer... it isn't all bad you know.

Andy...

I don't mean to jump on you but...Flyfishing in Southern Alberta is about as mainstream as I would like to see it thank you very much. Furthermore, ask any retailer of fishing and outdoor gear in this area and they will clearly tell you that this market is competitive enough. You will have a very, very hard time convincing me that the opening of BSP is good for Frenchy's, Fish Tales, Jim'splace, Westwinds, the fising hole, russels, riptor, etc

BPS is not competing with the local shops, IMHO. The big box stores have been in Texas for years. The specialty shops still thrive. Different customer base. People buying $600 Sage rods and high end reels are not getting them at BPS. It could certainly have an impact on Wholesale, or midsize, less personal shops.

But for us shop rats, the vast majority of our purchases will still be at the specialty store. I like to know the person who is over charging me!

Paul,

Damn, I like arguing with you!

I just do not have the time to be "ethical" when I shop. It takes too much research to determine who is or who is not ethical. Some companies are obviously ethical, some are obviously not. Most lie in some grey area in between. Pretty difficult to figure out how ethical/unethical they are.

I will say I do not blame any big box store for being what they are. The reason they exist is they make money. People like to shop there for the convenience. It's not the store's fault. Its ours. I also would question the change in water flow. Is one big parking lot inherently worse than 10 little ones? I'm not saying you are not correct, just that I would need to do a bit of research. And I'm not completely convinced about the extra driving as well. While you may bike/walk/use transit when you shop (which I certainly find commendable) I would venture that the vast majority of us do not. So in many cases, my bet is one big trip is often better than 5 little ones.

I drive a Saturn. But I think I'm getting a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT with the Hemi. When everyone else goes big, I go small. And vice versa. You can sure pick up a nice truck for CHEAP right now! Environmentally friendly? Uh, probably not. But sometimes (3 kids and university approaching) economics rules out, when shopping for flies or trucks.

We need to sit down over a dark Irish beverage and duke this out... we always end up on the same side, though.

:caffeetime:

We have a hemi at work and my little brother has one (both the 5.7)... horrible on gas, bad turning, too big.

On ethics and parking lots... I'm all for each community having a bunch of little stores to minimize driving. The past 4 homes I've lived in before I bought my house we're like that.... its nice to be able to walk to a store or the pub.

Pfft. Let them come.

The "big bad Americans" have come in before and everyone was scared. I remember a few years back when Krispy Kreme was coming to town. Everyone was panicking that it would be the end of Tim Horton's. Where are they now? Closed thier doors not too long ago. Even putting thier wares in all the WalMarts and Petro Canadas couldn't save them. Tims grew exponentially and is stronger than ever. Moved into the US if I am not mistaken and doing well.

Several years ago, an Eagle Hardware (if I remember correctly) came in promising lower prices and better service. Opened up a HUGE store in Edmonton on Calgary Trail and Whitemud Drive. Prime location, lots of drive by traffic, etc. Lasted less than a year if memory serves. Turned into a high end furniture store and then into IKEA.

My point is, these "big box" stores will either succeed, or they won't. Home Depot stuck around, but now Rona is doing better than they ever have as direct competition. Number one rule in retail is to not be afraid of your competition. Just do what you do best that got you where you are today. The folks at Fish Tales, Hansons, Wholesale, Bowriver Troutfitters, likely aren't shaking in thier boots at the arrival of BPS, they probably welcome it, because they know in thier hearts that they will OWN them when it comes to two things, in my mind 1. Customer service, and 2. Knowledge. I'll bet that not ONE of the folks at BPS could hold a candle to the dudes at Fish Tales, Westwinds, Hansons, Bowriver, or even Wholesale when it comes to fishing the Bow or some of the other rivers around here. That's where the mom and pop shops of the city will have thier advantage and that's why they will survive.

As for me. I won't go to BPS. I live in the SW. It would take me an hour to drive up there. I might visit it on my way to my buddies place in Airdrie, but that would be the only time.

I'm not worried and I am sure that they aren't either.

Guest RedWiggler

There could be a BSP right beside my house, Im still going to the specialty shops (Fishtales) for the simple fact that you can talk to them there, I wonder if those Mexican imigrants that MSB mentioned have any experience or helpful hints as to how one would fish the Bow or any other piece of water around here..........gimme your money and get out!!!!!!!!!! That said holy *hit is that new BSP store ever in a bad location I could not imagine anyone driving all the way there, unless ytou live in Airdrie.

You are right. Out of all of them, Wholesale has more reason to be concerned, there is no doubt. Same clientelle, same market. However, they are owned and operated locally. And they have a MUCH better location and an extremely long history in Calgary. They still have the upper hand in a lot of respects.

I've never been to a "Bass Pro Shop" before but my American buddy tells me it's a great place so I will go and check it out... and if the products I wish to buy there are several degrees cheaper than they are at my more local shops, well then I will buy them at the Bass Pro Shop.

Simple economics.

Oh sure, I will calculate my fuel cost to get there as well as several other intangibles including how my purchases there will help the American Capitalist pig-dogs control the world market surreptitiously... and also how my purchases there will put the smaller Mom n Pop shops where i've devolped relationships with the store-owners out of business, etc.

Anyways, if it makes sense for me to buy there as opposed to somewhere else... then I will buy there.

Guest RedWiggler
As funny as that is......what a couple of real maroons.

Thats hilarious, I personally got a kick out of this one.........haha!!!!! I cant believe that security just let them leave, there had to be some costs to clean up the mess of water especially after the cannonball lolololololololol!!!!!!!! :P I like how he yelled CANNONBALL first..........lolololololollo0l!!!!!!

I visited the BPS in Michigan expecting to see lots of great and hard to get fly fishing gear and tying materials.

I was sorely disappointed. There was basically nothing. You'd figure a store that big would have a lot of selection, but no. Hunting, Archery, camping (it still had nothing on Ribtor) and even speed boats and BBQ's but a red fox squirel skin?