Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Shop

Would it make you feel better if they were flying a US flag?

And what about supposedly Canadian stores that are now owned by American companies (The Bay, Tim Hortons, etc.). I think McDonald's and Wendy's have had a maple leaf in the logos of their Canadian stores for years but I doubt anyone thinks they're Canadian. Besides, they'll be selling the same products as the locally owned stores - mostly from American companies with many manufactured off shore. How many fly fishing companies are Canadian anyways? The only one that comes to mind off the top of my head is Islander.

Hello,

Bass do exist up here( as in Canada) maybe not in Alberta, but B.C. has bass.

http://www.kalynacountry.com/fishing.htm

scroll down until you come to 'Island Lake'

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fish...statusfish.aspx

Species of 'Undetermined' Status

Smallmouth Bass

Smallmouth bass were stocked into Island Lake (near Smoky Lake) between 1977 and 1984. Until 1989 there was some evidence of natural reproduction. It is not known whether this population is self-sustaining at the present time. However it is presumed there are a few fish left. As this is a non-native species, no special monitoring is planned.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1995

enjoy.

Guys/Gals,

The HUGE Canadian flag flying over Bass Pro's Balzac location. What's with that. Like we don't know it an US company and Bass don't exist up here. We got a few Pros though or so I've heard.

catch ya'

Don

Thanks for pointing this out. Now that I know is is a big USofA company I will not shop there. The flag is definately there to fool us naive canucks???

Yes, but with Their "Global Warming" theory that they're pushing, Our lakes should soon be warm enough. I'm sure that in no time at all, Our lakes will be full of illegally introduced Bass just like the Koots and We in the Calgary area will be well prepared thanks to the new Store from our caring neighbors to the south.

Who really needs our Home Grown local businesses like "Frenchies/Borato's",(Wholesale Sports for those too young to remember), "Westwinds", "Country Pleasures" "Crowsnest Angler", etc. anyways.....

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/about_us

http://www.russellsports.com/about.html

Whataburger = the bomb.

But RickR how long before Target moves up here?

You are supposed to pronounce it with a French accent (TarJAY). Sounds better that way.

And Whataburger is the freakin bomb. When I go home, I need the 3 main food groups:

Whataburger

Popeyes Fried Chicken

Pappasitos

And I guess I really don't understand the issue with the flag. Would everyone prefer an American flag? I mean, I'm pretty sure the store is located in Canada (in Texas, they fly a big honkin Texas flag, no one seems to mind), and will employ a lot of Canadians. Fly the flag, someone has to.

I like BassPro. Good stuff, pretty good prices. They didn't get as big as they are by being crappy. If you don't like them cuz they are the big bad wolf, and going to shut down the local Canadian fly shops (they certainly will not), then don't shop there. Console yourself by feeling smarter than the stupid masses (me among them) who will shop there, if only to look at the big giant aquarium. But I'm just a ignerent heathen Merican.

Here's the info on the BPS, including construction photos:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&storeID=75

Too bad these types of stores (big box) encourage driving and the waste of resources. The BPS north of Toronto is a disgusting mess of parking lots and gas guzzling vehicles... while taking business away from local shops that have long supported the community.

If you want local knowledge develop a relationship with your nearest fly shop... if you want shiney doodads, BPS is the place for you.

(and that complex is wasting our already scarce water...)

They won't get a dime from my pockets.

Of course everybody needs to see it at least once... I did stop by the one in Vaughn Mills everytime I drove by (I still never bought anything).

Crowsnest, I wasn't saying there aren't bass here because i didn't know if there is or not. I guess i just worded it badly. I was just saying i don't know about bass in Alberta but there are bass in B.C.

Too bad these types of stores (big box) encourage driving and the waste of resources. The BPS north of Toronto is a disgusting mess of parking lots and gas guzzling vehicles... while taking business away from local shops that have long supported the community.

Sort of confusing the issue here, isn't it? I go to Fish Tales. Seems like lots of people drive big trucks there too. Is it just ok to drive the gas guzzler to a local shop, but not BPS. Is it ok to drive the guzzler from Calgary to fish in southern alberta, but not north to Airdrie to shop?

I would also question the entire waste of resources comment. If I can get camping, fishing, hunting, etc at one store instead of several, aren't I saving gas? Also, isn't Canadian Tire a big box store? Don't they sell much of the same stuff BPS will? Is that ok? Oh wait, it has CANADIAN in the title. Must be ok then.

Some of you guys sure have a narrow view of the world.

A store like Bass Pro is good for the local economy and all of the small specific shops like fly shops, archery shops and the likes. You better believe that it will be a tourist attraction, non hunting and fishing people will be attracted and spin off will be they will pick up the passtime. This will benefit the local shops. How many of you started flyfishing, hunting, etc. by going to a specialty shop? This will create more interest in our dying passtime and hopefully get more people, youth, involved. When was the last time that an outdoors store made the news around here before BPS- how about NEVER!!! Calgary needs this to take hunting and fishing more mainstream and in the public eye.

Some of you should leave your little dark box for a while and see what the world has to offer... it isn't all bad you know.

So if it's not ok for US businesses to set up shop here it would lead to a conclusion that Canadian business shouldn't operate in other countries? Canadians would be ruining those local economies? I'm all for local shops don't get me wrong, but the reality of it is business is on a global scale now. Most businesses have an online section and if it was limited to only their country what's the point? To insist US companies don't move in would also limit the ability of Canadian businesses to expand outside the borders based on the same principle. Let's not get a double standard going.

AndyW makes a really good point, we didn't all start out at specialty shops but it seems the natural progression is to start doing business there. Why isn't the SIZE of the store an issue. Wholesale Sports is quite large, much larger than Fish Tales. Is there not an equal concern that a larger store would take over the business the smaller one has? It sure was the topic when Wal-Mart started moving in. There are always going to be new stores large and small starting up whether local or from other countries. It's the nature of business. There may be impacts when the new stores are first opened but from what I understand this trend levels out (for the most part, there are always exceptions). I certainly won't be driving all the way out to Balzac or wherever for any of the stores specifically. If I'm out treading around checking the place out I'll stop in but it won't be my usual go to place. Like I said I am partial for local shops and understand this but I'm also in favor of freedom of choice to shop where you want. These businesses exist legally and it is up to each individual to make their personal choice. If there were no choices would the title of this post be something like "Why don't we have a Bass Pro Shop?" or "Why don't we have a Cabela's"? ;)

ok my turn to chime in.

I like bass pro they have excellent prices on alot of the big ticket things that I buy infrequently (ie waders, boot rods reels), but when I am getting ready for a day on the water and picking up the nessesaties (Leader, flies indies) or looking for tying supplies.

Then I will be going to Fishtales why I like the staff, I like shooting the *hit and I get what their guides are seeing on the river. same reason I alway stop at vic's in Crowsnest and drop 30 40 bucks on flies and leader he and his guides now their *hit. and I'll get what is hitting on the river.

so as far as I see there is a place for both (and in the long run the little guy will see more cash from me Cause I still feed a crap load of flies to the tree behind me ;) )

Tight lines

Teck

Sort of confusing the issue here, isn't it? I go to Fish Tales. Seems like lots of people drive big trucks there too. Is it just ok to drive the gas guzzler to a local shop, but not BPS. Is it ok to drive the guzzler from Calgary to fish in southern alberta, but not north to Airdrie to shop?

I would also question the entire waste of resources comment. If I can get camping, fishing, hunting, etc at one store instead of several, aren't I saving gas? Also, isn't Canadian Tire a big box store? Don't they sell much of the same stuff BPS will? Is that ok? Oh wait, it has CANADIAN in the title. Must be ok then.

My comment is a general comment about development. I'm not a fan of any big box retail stores (any of the big store building on the edge of cities, huge parking lots, very little public transportation to them). I think its a bad part of our society that will change only as gas prices go up.

In Lethbridge the cool local downtown is hit hard by the big mega stores being built on the edge of town (Hoyt's <local fishing store> shut down here as Wholesale bought them out and moved them to the edge of town). Traffic through there is bad, the parking lot runnoff is affecting water quality, the giant paved surfaces change the surface hydrology and how heat moves, and it is an overall poor shopping experience (plus a bad drive).

I drive a little Nissan car fishing, I walk to work, walk to Can tire if I have (not alot of selection in Lethbridge). I'm also currently renovating my place and have realized, that while a truck is nice, it is certainly not necessary (except drywall does not fit in a car, no matter how you angle it <_< ).

The whole Canada vs US ownership thing is a bit rough. We live in a global market, no getting around that. Protectionism will hurt us, although pride in our products, and quality will be what keeps us afloat in this world of mass-produced, disposable products.

Sure the majority of the shareholders may be somewhere else, but what if it is owned by an American living in Canada? or vise versa.

Shouldn't matter where the high muckity-mucks live... just what they do. The big thing is company ethic, where are the jobs located (money to the local economy), what quality of a service is provided (better than a fly shop... maybe, but not the one in Ontario), and quality of the products.

I shop with ethics in mind.