Fly Fusion Forums

Tippet

syncmaster

how long on average is the life span of the tippet spool

I was using my 5X today and it kept breaking off at the hook, and where i tied it to the leader/line what ever it is called

is the line no good and i should replace it, or is there something else I should know about

lost about a dox\zen flies today as it was my only tippet

5x tippet is not really strong. its great for fishing dries or when the fish are picky.

but i would use something stronger i use 1x most of the time for nymphing.

and 5x for dry fly fishing. sometimes lighter

and i dont think tippet will ever go bad.. if it does it would take a hell of a long time.

I'm a Chemical Engineer that makes new types of polyethylene for a living. In general, polymers like nylon will last a long time (e.g. years) without issue. However, UV light and heat can have a major impact. If you hang your tippet around your neck make sure it has the elastic cover over it otherwise you can run into issues....

Guest JayVee
how long on average is the life span of the tippet spool

I was using my 5X today and it kept breaking off at the hook, and where i tied it to the leader/line what ever it is called

is the line no good and i should replace it, or is there something else I should know about

lost about a dox\zen flies today as it was my only tippet

This has been discussed before and it seems that tippet does indeed have a shelf life. Some manufacturers are putting production dates on their spools now (am I right about this?). I lost 30 flies in one day earlier this season using tippet from last year. I bought new stuff and I haven't lost flies like that since. Like BBB said if you're nymphing you should be using heavier tippet anyway. Nymphing is a lot harder on your terminal tackle than dry fly fishing. Through lack of insight I had no idea I could use other types of line for tippet material, like Berkley Vanish and Ultragreen discussed a few days ago here. I will never buy another 30 yard spool of tippet material again...not for nymphing, anyway.

For those who complained of flourocarbon cutting through regular mono, wouldn't a small barrel swivel between your leader and flies solve that problem??

-N-

jayvee i use a swivel like mentioned.

adds weight and i find i tangle much less.

brilliant idea! thanks i'll try that.

i also agree that leaders, tippet etc. have a limited lifespan, keeping them out of the sun/away from things like fly dope & sunscreen extends of course but eventually they will break down.

i just bought some brand new tippet & leaders from a shop i normally don't frequent [shall remain nameless, got a gift cert], reputable brands i normally don't use, but and for whatever reason some of the leaders & tippet is already crap. i break 3x leaders in half by straightening them and can't even knot the 5x tippet.

probably old stock they pushed on me? i dunno.