Fly Fusion Forums

Articulated Sjw Prototype

Gil

I wanted to see if I could make a more natural looking SJW, that could move in a current. While this might be too stiff to move easily, I think it has a natural look. post-1741-1215568410.jpg

Guys,

You want movement - the best SJW I've used was nothing more than a rubber rubber band tied on a hook. Cheap too!

Don

hey don

do you twist up your rubber bands and then tie them onto the hook?

i tied a few like this but have yet to use them.

Good idea but you might want to check with a CO before using it. I know with crankbaits and other lures, they can only have one hook. Some are sold with a hook near the head and a second hook near the tail. In order to use them in the Bow you would have to clip off one of the hooks. A CO might see this fly as a lure with 2 hooks???

I know treble hooks are allowed on the bow as long as the barbs are pinched (obviously). I'm wondering if the 2 hooks on a lure only applies to lures with treble hooks. I see in the regs something about a lure cannot have more than 3 hooks and more than 3 points but was talking to a CO last night that said you cannot have 2 hooks on a lure.

I realize it they aren't truely articulated but I was inspired by a recent article in Fly Fusion on stretch floss so I came up with these two flies. both are very flexible and you could conceivably tie them as long as you want. Both are using #8 hook I use for stonefly nymphs Daiichi 11??, and some stretchy red stuff furled.

1 Red (midge?) stretch floss. ~3"

IMGP0596.JPG

2 Stretch Flex Rouge 1/8". ~5"

IMGP0599.JPG

They represent my 2nd and 3rd attempt at furling (is that a word?) anything. More to show the concept and I don't think the trout will care. Never fished them but I suspect they will get horribly tangled around my leader and/or dropper.

Interesting. I read the same article in fly fusion and have been playing with stretch floss as well but in a different manner. I especially like the first. I was able to be more movement in mine by downgauging the conective line. I'll see how they work Saturday...