Fly Fusion Forums

Bertuzzi

Guest 001

Guest RedWiggler

We will see Bert. on the first line now and then for sure & if he produces quick he will be on the 1st powerplay line as well. If he stays healthy & feels some what welcome & comfortable here I think he will have a good season.......I think........hope........maybe. :wave_smile:

I don't think anybody said that Moore deserved it.. just that the outcome was alot worse than what was intended.

Time for a little 'name dropping'. I had a good chat with Dean McAmmond about 3 summers back about this incident. He was saying that what Bertuzzi did was not okay.. but that Bertuzzi is not the kind of guy to do something like that on purpose. I.E. - purposely break a guys' neck. I said "Bertuzzi's such a big strong player.. i'm sure he meant just to punch the guy in the head.. cause a big scrum, and that'd be the end of it." Dean says "oh yeah, for sure, that guy is huge."

Anyways.. the 'fans' can say all they want, but the players opinions matter alot more to me.. and the fact of the matter is.. the reason why Bertuzzi is in Calgary is because THE MAN wanted him to be:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=367929

I don't think anybody said that Moore deserved it..

Read the posts. It was said in this thread. Also said multiple times on the radio on the call in shows. Really, people just use this excuse to rationalize what they KNOW to be wrong. This is a manifestation of the "winning at all costs" mentality, that shows us at our absolute worst, IMHO. It is by no means unique to hockey.

Anyways.. the 'fans' can say all they want, but the players opinions matter alot more to me.. and the fact of the matter is.. the reason why Bertuzzi is in Calgary is because THE MAN wanted him to be:

Players almost always stick up for other players when talking to others. I won't say that their opinions don't matter, it's just that I don't think we ever really get their true opinions.

In this case, I think THE MAN made a huge mistake.

Guest Sundancefisher

My biggest problem is rewarding a bad person. I can understand second chances but really...what he did was so bad it defies logic. Forgiving does not mean rewarding. Guys like that are a ticking time bomb to explode again.

We always think of second changes but they seldom fix a broken neck and a destroyed career. Time will tell.

Sun

Guest RedWiggler

Bert is not a dirty player, he did not mean to hurt the guy plain and simple, everybody knows it and that is why he is still in the league. This thread was inteneded to get opinions about the Flames signing Bert, not whether he should be in the league or not, thats an old discussion......futile at best. I hope the move works out but I still think the Flames need more than what they have. On a side note, how bad is Vancouver going to be this year? The two inbred looking twins certainly wont carry a franchise to success.

GO FLAMES, GO OILERS

Wow, good to see that the Battle of Alberta still has the strength to take over even on a Fly Fishing Board. lol

So far as Bert goes, my opinion is pretty much the same as most peoples. His best years are behind him, but he is still a big dude. Get his ass in front of the net on the PP and he can still do some good. Will he snap and cold cock a guy? Who knows. I honestly think that it was a brain cramp that lasted a fraction of a second and he made the wrong decision. It's in the past, the guy paid his dues, let him live his life.

One poster mentioned his 40 points from last year and compared them to a number of current fLAMES. Keep in mind that Bert was injured for a great deal of time last year with a concussion, so the fact that he was able to put up those points in, I think it was 69 games, is still pretty good.

I am fairly sure that you will see him get at least SOME time on the top line. It will likely be where he spends the pre-season. Iggy has pretty much said that he wants him on his wing, and we all know, what Iggy wants, Iggy gets.

As an Oiler fan, I still like the aquisition of Camalleri more than Bertuzzi. The game is getting faster again. The fLAMES needed the speed. Camalleri has it, Bert doesn't.

Anyway, just my two bits.

Here is a list of things that are much worse then what Bert did

Former Chicago Blackhawks star player Keith Magnuson is dead -- killed by a drunk driver.

Charged with impaired driving causing death is former Toronto Maple Leaf captain Rob Ramage.

Ironically, he and Magnuson were returning from the funeral of cancer victim and former NHLer Keith McCreary.

Ramage will undoubtedly be attending another funeral soon -- this one will be a lot more painful since he will bear the heavy burden of blood guilt.

His life will never be the same.

Earlier, Chicago Blackhawks captain Alex Zhamnov was placed on court supervision for one year and community service for pleading guilty to driving under the influence.

Speed was involved when Atlanta Thrasher Dan Snyder died from injuries after the car he was a passenger in slammed into a wall.

Dany Heatley must bear the crushing guilt for the remainder of his days.

Some instances of hockey players foolishly getting behind the wheel after indulging are:

* 2002: Peter Worrell of the Florida Panthers is sentenced to 10 days in jail and his license is suspended five years for driving under the influence.

* 2001: Sergei Fedorov is ordered under court supervision for one year and community service for impaired driving. Eddie Shack is fined $1,000 for driving under the influence after a charity golf event.

* 1999: Steve Chiasson crashes on his way home from a team party is killed. His blood-alcohol level is more than three times the legal limit.

* 1995: Dominik Hasek is fined $850 and community service for a drunk driving conviction.

* 1994: Chris Pronger, Bobby Hull, and Paul Holmgren score a hat trick of drunk driving convictions.

* 1993: Edmonton Oilers Dave Hunter serves seven days in jail for his third impaired driving conviction in six months.

* 1990: Mike Keenan is fined $550 and given a year's court supervision for a drunk driving charge.

* 1989: Peter Klima spends 35 days behind bars for drinking and driving.

* 1987: Calgary Flame Jamie Macoun is charged with drinking and driving after losing control of his sports car. The charge is reduced to dangerous driving and he pays $1000 fine.

* 1986: Miroslav Frycer of the Toronto Maple Leafs spends 14 days in the slammer for his second impaired driving conviction.

* 1986-1994: Bob Probert is arrested five times for impaired driving. He spends several months in jail and in rehab, but continues his NHL career.

* 1985: Pelle Lindbergh dies from injuries when his Porsche slammed into a wall. He had been drinking at a team function.

* 1984: Craig MacTavish leaves a nightclub intoxicated and kills a woman. He pleads guilty to vehicular homicide and spends a year in jail.

* 1974: Tim Horton gets behind the wheel while intoxicated and is killed when he loses control.

The flames just get slower and dumber with this move.

slower? maybe. dumber? nope. nothing is dumber than two highly talented players who play like they just don't care... and cant go in the corners and get the puck. Glad there gone. Bye Bye juice and Tang :)

Guest RedWiggler

Can anyone believe that we signed Jamie Lundmark again, another great pick up........%^$#! I was one of the guys that has always liked Sutter but GEEEEZ we need to start making some better signings. He is the king of letting guys go then resiging them again 2 years later.......what a joke.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading all the blogs l must say everyone forgot that we got rene bourque as well. l think myself getting rid of tanguay and useless, l mean husselius was a great move and for the price of everyone that we picked up in return, this might be are best season in awhile as long as everyone stays healthy!!!! GO FLAMES GO and all the flames haters need not reply!!

Guest RedWiggler

Letting Hulselius go was a horrible decision, we still dont have anyone else to replace the 26 goals he scored last year(with a 16 game goalless streak in there), one dimensional or not the guy is always an offensive threat. Not to mention he is a machine in the shootouts as well. Tangauy had to go, he is a good player but way to much negative press in Calgary, there is no way he could just relax and play hockey here.....too bad!! I wouldn't doubt it if he has a career year this season. I like the Camellari, Roy & Bert. pickups, I just dont how much better we got over the offseason with the signings or lack there of, not sure?? I still think we have a really good club and am stoked about the upcoming season. :wave_smile: