Fly Fusion Forums

Smallmouth Bass

There also suppose to be something north of Radium half way to Golden, if I get the name I will try to post it here...

Yeah, MX1 that rings a bell. Maybe Windermere lake? I thought I had heard that it may have bass in it.

Ayr.

Duck Lake north of Creston has I believe largemouth bass, also Tie Lake, Baynes Lake, Jim Smith Lake all have bass in them. Lots of fun to catch, very good fighting fish for their size. Best of luck.

Russ C

Duck Lake north of Creston has I believe largemouth bass, also Tie Lake, Baynes Lake, Jim Smith Lake all have bass in them. Lots of fun to catch, very good fighting fish for their size. Best of luck.

Russ C

I think it would be difficult to find a lake that would would stay warm enough to sustain a healthy population. Also, I don't think Alberta F&W is really gung-ho on bringing in non-native fish and displacing an existing fish population.

Having said that on one of those Alberta fishing guides it mentioned smallmouth bass in Skeleton Lake [?] sort of around Boyle. Have no idea if any, now or in previous years, actually exist there though.

PS - Tie Lake is a neat place. I spent one summer out there when I was like 15 years old.

Guest bassfishingbc

Hey Guys,

For smallmouth action, the Pend Orielle River near Trail BC has them, and Christina Lake, Osoyoos Lake, Vaseux Lake, and Skaha Lake (both near Penticton) have great smallie action as well. There are a smattering of other smaller lakes in the interior that have good smallie fishing too.

I have fished both Baynes Lake and Tie Lake several times and have caught many largemouth but no smallmouth. As a result of all of my research, the information that smallmouth are in various East Kootenay lakes such as Tie, Baynes, Surveyor's, etc. appears to be false. I have heard that there are smallmouth in Windermere Lake, but I have never fished it so it is second hand knowledge at best.

As someone mentions above (thanks for the recognition, by the way), check out my site at www.bassfishingbc.com for reviews of a bunch of bass lakes in BC. If you want to know more, feel free to e-mail me at cameron@bassfishingbc.com and I'll hook you up with the info you need on bass fishing!

Guest bassfishingbc
I would like to bust your knees.

Wow, great reception on this board..... :rolleyes:

I was just trying to help out and answer the question that was asked. Answer a question and get threatened.

I would like to bust your knees.

WTF dude?...you were just over in Alberta on a fishing trip, want to keep people away from your water? I assume this is where you going with this....hmmm . . and to think I was soooo close to inviting to you to a private lake while you were in Olds since the streams were all mud.. :huh: glad I did'nt .. now ..

sorry bassfishingbc .. he's not indicative of the attitudes on here.. he lives in BC but mooches info off here and comes here to fish..obviously its a one way street with him..

Guest bassfishingbc

I appreciate your response Brownstone. I am not a fly fisherman (yet....) but I understand from others that catching bass on a fly can be an amazing experience. Smallmouth particularly are great fighters pound for pound. Even on spinning or baitcasting tackle, bass can give you a run for your money. My site and forum are aimed at giving anglers the truth (good, bad, and ugly) about bass fishing in BC as there is a lot of misinformation out there.

The "busting my knees" response and attitude is exactly why I started my own bass fishing forum where fellow anglers can discuss bass fishing in BC in a non-threatening environment. I'll never understand the need to keep everything secret. Everyone assumes that more fishermen enjoying our bass fishing will mean the fishing will automatically get worse. My own opinion is that if the fishing conditions get tougher because of more angler usage, then we will just have to become more skilled to be able to catch them, and that's not a bad thing. Plus, all the license fees, meals, hotel stays, tackle purchases, and other benefits to the communities cannot be understated.

Guest bassfishingbc
No no, it's the fact that this guy is one of the ones spreading their beloved POS bass throughout my province. You want to fish bass, go back to Onterrible, punk.

Sorry you got the wrong impression Brownstone.

If you took the time to read through my site and my forum you would find that I am completely and vehemently opposed to the illegal transplanting of bass or any other fish. I have never, nor would I ever, damage any fishery be it bass, trout, salmon, etc. I am of the opinion that there are more than enough great opportunities to fish for bass in BC and there is no need to transplant them. I have been calling for our MOE to do whatever it takes to find, stop, and punish the people responsible for moving bass around and to develop a real management plan so the illegal stocking is stopped. If you are going to make an accusation, please take the time to back it up with facts. Just because I enjoy fishing for bass it does not mean I participate in or condone the illegal actions of others. There is a distinction that needs to be made here. I encourage you to read through my posts around this on my forum so that you can see what I have said about the issue.

Guest bassfishingbc

I would also say that the purpose of this thread was for someone to find out where to fish for smallmouth bass. I answered that question and don't see why it has to turn into a bass-hating thread.

Guest bassfishingbc

I apologize to all the members on this board. It was not my intention to spark such a negative reaction from Tako. I simply wanted to answer the question posed. I will not continue to engage in this "debate", and I would hope that the threats made to me will also stop.

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong. Thanks for the info.

I totally agree - no need to apologize. Thanks for the information - I think it would be fantastic to catch smallies on the fly, as they are pound for pound one of the hardest scrappers out there.