Fly Fusion Forums

Tape Measures

Do you use a tape to measure your fish?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a tape measure on your fish?

• Yes.
    • No. I just guess.

Well when people claim fish to be clearly larger than the pictures prove or show, and post such on a forum, they start to lose credibility, wouldn't you agree? I wasn't trying to start anything on this forum, but... c'mon guys. Get a tape, you'd be suprised.... there not that big :lol:

Having said that, there all damn nice fish. The only reason I started this post was to make people think a bit about what there claiming to have landed... without a real factual tape measured fish.

Here's a 30 incher...... it was accurately taped (to the fork, not pinched). Now take 4 - 5 inches off that.. well, you be the judge :P

Apr%2010%20-%2003%20Brian%20and%2030%20inch%20Bull%20Trout%20pic.jpg

Well, now I know what this thread was all about; just an excuse for Brian to remind us what a "Hawgstoppah" is! ;)

I carry a tape, very seldom pull it out. My new cradle is 24" and is marked for easy, accurate measurements. Now

I only have to pull out my tape for the trout that hangs over the end of the cradle; I figure that tape should outlive

me, 'cuz it ain't gonna see the light of day too frickin' often. :P

One thing I've noticed- when I see a fish jump at the end of my line, I often underestimate the size. Many times I've

guessed a jumping fish to be a 17-18 incher, only to realize it's much bigger when I bring it to hand. So, now, if I lose

one after I've seen it fly, I just add 4" to what I think the size is! For the sake of fish stories, I prefer to lose the fish;

they're bigger that way!

-Steve-

Well when people claim fish to be clearly larger than the pictures prove or show, and post such on a forum, they start to lose credibility, wouldn't you agree? I wasn't trying to start anything on this forum, but... c'mon guys. Get a tape, you'd be suprised.... there not that big :lol:

Yup, I agree with you fully. Same goes for the guys who have pics of the ~16" fish they caught but "didn't get the camera out in time" for the 26" monster brown. :rolleyes: That's why I don't pay much attention to the fishing reports any more unless it's someone I know doesn't really exaggerate.

Hey Hawgstoppah,

After that one time I went fishing with you, I re-measured my net and sure enough, it was 2" shorter than I thought it was. I then engraved the 18", 20", and 22" markers so I would never forget again. I remember you commented that the fish looked 2-3" smaller. I guess you were right, haha. :unsure:

I also now have a tape measure in my pack just to be sure, so that my first 2 footer is a legit 2 footer.

Now I just have to catch one...

Having said that, there all damn nice fish. The only reason I started this post was to make people think a bit about what there claiming to have landed... without a real factual tape measured fish.

Here's a 30 incher...... it was accurately taped (to the fork, not pinched). Now take 4 - 5 inches off that.. well, you be the judge :P

Apr%2010%20-%2003%20Brian%20and%2030%20inch%20Bull%20Trout%20pic.jpg

Hawg,

Wasn't trying to start anything either. It was written in good humor.

If I caught one that big I'd want a tape measure too!!

I have often wondered about the fascination you guys and gals have with length as opposed to weight of a fish. I do a mix of river fishing on the Liffey and small lake fishing, any fish off the river is appreciated no mater it's size and if it gets over the 1lb mark then it brings a big smile to my face. On the other hand, when I am fishing small lakes the fish is always measured for weight not length and I always under estimate the weight rather than overestimate. One fish I put at a conservative 11lbs turned out to be 14lbs when it hit the scales making it my personal best but I fish for fishing's sake and not for boasting about the length of the one I caught or that got away.

Give me a few hard fighting 2 to 3 lbers anytime compared to a 20lb pellet pig that I have seen some fishermen hold up smiling like lunatics as they pose for the photo.

I am lucky in that the small lake fishery I use has cracking quality, fighting fit fish that range from 2 to 20lb and a good days fishing means not blanking but enjoying what it has to offer more than caring about length or weight.

I have often wondered about the fascination you guys and gals have with length as opposed to weight of a fish.

Haha you think people can't guess the length of fish? Go around to various "bow river" websites out there, and have a laugh at what there calling an 8 pounder, etc. I think the stories would be even funnier if people guessed weight of fish.

An honest 5lb trout from the bow... I bet most people would guess... what 21-22 inches?

Try about 26-27..... maybe even more if it's thin. ;)

Haha you think people can't guess the length of fish? Go around to various "bow river" websites out there, and have a laugh at what there calling an 8 pounder, etc. I think the stories would be even funnier if people guessed weight of fish.

An honest 5lb trout from the bow... I bet most people would guess... what 21-22 inches?

I go fishing once a year with a fellow that always can catch a 5 or 6lb'er ................................. when he is off fishing by himself that is :rolleyes: .

Guest bigbadbrent

exactly..finally someone gets it

i still put weight above length any day....

i only account for size when it matters or for personal reference (personal bests) and not as a bragging tool to fellow fishermen...they all get released in the end (with the exception of a couple of crackas a year) and if you don't bring a camera, no one believes you anyways so what's the point of measuring?...there is none unless you are trying for an ego boost on a forum where no one really cares and they just want to know what they were hitting (or where they were hitting...lol) and whether or not you had a good time out...measurements are overrated (what's wrong with just saying you had a good day and some decent fish to hand)...there, my 2 cents and my second round of nasties as this topic and the weather bugs me...

I have all my rods marked at 5 inch intervals for length, so if its over 20" I know it and if its between 10" and 15" etc. I did this because I was out with a buddy of mine and caught a tagged fish we both estimated it to be 19'. When I reported it, the fisheries person replied our measurement must have been wrong, because the fish was tagged the previous fall and would have to have grown 4 inches in 5 winter months :lol:. All the fish I lose are way bigger than the ones I land too.

i'm fine now...had a day to get over it...still stings though...at the moment it was like salt in a fresh wound...

If it makes you feel better and I am sure it will Andy......my 'Nucks never made the playoffs this year.....