Fly Fusion Forums

Marketing On Fly Fishing Forums

In the past few years I have noticed a growing trend towards marketing of products on the forums. Not marketing in advertisement form but marketing within the discussions themselves. What I have especially noticed are the sleek and persistent marketing methods being used.

The marketing skills of some of these salesmen astound me. Some of these people have highly developed techniques for ensuring they get their share. Their ability to use persuasion and influence is amazing, they have a good knowledge of their business, they offer solutions that others on the forums often don’t, and they understand the methods to fulfill the needs of others. These skills enable them to peddle their products towards you, sometimes without you even knowing it. I have even noticed the combined efforts of several individuals being used as a marketing tool.

That being said, the question of whether or not it should be condoned arises. If so, should individuals that don’t make their affiliation known with a particular product, manufacturer, or retail outlet be required to do so? (Other forums use this approach)

Guest bigbadbrent

I think its fine when its people speaking their opinion on a certain product, or when someone is looking for something particular..i don't approve of it, when it involves slamming other brands, or forcing people into beliefs

I think that it's fine. If you had a product fall to crap on yah, I want to know about it! On the other side, if something works GREAT I want to know about it. Same with an experience with a guide / shop / online retailer,,, whatever! That's my 2 cents ;)

Let me paraphrase what I asked:

Should individuals that have an affiliation with a particular product, manufacturer, or retail outlet be required to make the affiliation known to other forum members by way of identifying the affiliation in their signature line?

Let me paraphrase what I asked:

Should individuals that have an affiliation with a particular product, manufacturer, or retail outlet be required to make the affiliation known to other forum members by way of identifying the affiliation in their signature line?

If it is a professional affiliation, yes.

Weedy,

I think I know what you are talking about. I can usually (or maybe always?) spot when I'm being marketed to. I've done a bit of it myself. And I personally will try to direct members to shops I trust and particularly to ones where I know the owners, and will recommend gear I know they carry, but never if I don't have experience with that equipment.

There are also shop owners and employees that recommend their products here, guides recommending their services, members running clinics, etc. I don't have any issue with it at all. It is all pretty above board as far as I know, and frankly I have significant comfort buying from someone on the board because I can almost guarantee I'll get good service. They cannot afford to be prominent on the website and give poor service. They would not survive the backlash.

There is no chance that a forum of this size will not attract people trying to sell things. But the forum itself will act as a sort of policing agency. Or so I hope.

i promote the stuff that works best for me........ ive used tons of gear from all sorts of manufacturers and promote what i have found too stand up in the fishing situations i encounter........ great topic too bring up.. i here u loud and clear weedy and the way of the boards seems too be evolving too what we all thought it would... sad eh.

im all for this too but for those who may try too hide or whatever.. how are we sure too find out who is who? i for one use my real name but most dont and use a handle........ shall we send a mass pm too figure out who is who?

Yes. Even if it is not a direct commercial relationship.

So how do we define "indirect"? Let's say I'm friends with the owner of fly shop X. I recommend stuff they carry because I like the owner and I trust and have used what he sells. I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Is that an indirect commercial relationship?

If so, then when I recommend something they carry do I have to say "this recommendation was made to you by a friend of Fly Shop X?"

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. I understand what people are saying here, but there would be some mighty big grey areas.

Am reminded of a funny cartoon I saw of a man hugging his computer with the caption, "I love my computer because all my friends live in it."

Come on! I mean really - COME ON!! I don't know anyone on this board and having posted a product advice thread once and having read several other product advice threads here - I treat the commentary I read here like anything else I read on the internet...a source to assist my own judgment fully grounded in the real world.

To think that certain members of this forum feel that quasi parent advisory stickers have to start appearing in our signature lines smacks of censorship.

BTW - I highly recommend you purchase gasoline. Sweet, sweet gasoline. FYI - I work for an oil company and one billionth of a cent of your last fuel purchase probably ended up in my pocket.

How would you enforce anything like that? There are guys who post here and own shops or work at shops and don't make any secret of it (bigbadbrent, IslandGuy, Whistler, Wetduck, etc.). There are probably also a few that don't let on, but how can you definitively tell the difference between them and someone who loves gear from a certain manufacturer? There are some people on here that will instantly recommend TFO to anyone looking for a new rod no matter what. Do they work for Springbrook or TFO? Probably not, though it may seem that way at times.

Sure guys who own shops may recommend what they carry, but who's to say that they don't carry that product because they believe in it? And there are always going to be shops who carry gear based solely on the margin they get but how would you be able to tell the difference?

As a consumer it's your responsibility to thoroughly research your purchase. Would you blame Tiger Woods if that bottle of Gatorade tasted bad? Or for that matter would you blame Lefty Kreh if your TiCR broke right away? So don't make your purchase based on one or two forum posts. It's the internet. People lie, exaggerate, and distort - especially on forums. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to jump in my Ferrari so I can pick up my supermodel girlfriend from her Sports Illustrated swimsuit photo shoot.

How would you enforce anything like that? There are guys who post here and own shops or work at shops and don't make any secret of it (bigbadbrent, IslandGuy, Whistler, Wetduck, etc.). There are probably also a few that don't let on, but how can you definitively tell the difference between them and someone who loves gear from a certain manufacturer? There are some people on here that will instantly recommend TFO to anyone looking for a new rod no matter what. Do they work for Springbrook or TFO? Probably not, though it may seem that way at times.

Sure guys who own shops may recommend what they carry, but who's to say that they don't carry that product because they believe in it? And there are always going to be shops who carry gear based solely on the margin they get but how would you be able to tell the difference?

As a consumer it's your responsibility to thoroughly research your purchase. Would you blame Tiger Woods if that bottle of Gatorade tasted bad? Or for that matter would you blame Lefty Kreh if your TiCR broke right away? So don't make your purchase based on one or two forum posts. It's the internet. People lie, exaggerate, and distort - especially on forums. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to jump in my Ferrari so I can pick up my supermodel girlfriend from her Sports Illustrated swimsuit photo shoot.

AMEN

Guest bigbadbrent
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to jump in my Ferrari so I can pick up my supermodel girlfriend from her Sports Illustrated swimsuit photo shoot.

I knew you'd get tired of Jessica Alba sooner or later

Speaking completely for myself here,

If someone asks what i think is a great reel for cheap, i will tell them what i believe and why (usually its because i own one or two, not because i'm trying to upsell)

Either way, if someone comes in from the website or not, my paycheck stays the same at the end of every day, hardly a reason for me to push people into buying something.

BTW - I highly recommend you purchase gasoline. Sweet, sweet gasoline. FYI - I work for an oil company and one billionth of a cent of your last fuel purchase probably ended up in my pocket.

Polegirl,

Let's go with Super Premium. That way we maximize refining margins. I don't work for an oil company, but I may have a stock or two.....

Just guessing here, but I would be willing to bet that you would find a correlation here between age and their opinions of indirect marketing on a website. Those younger than myself (significantly younger) who grew up in a wired age are used to being marketed to all the time. And as polegirl said use it as "a source to assist my own judgment fully grounded in the real world." Nice quote by the way.

Those of my generation want to know when we are being marketed to because I don't think we expect it to come from all the sources it comes from today. That and we tend to think there may be something sneaky about doing it on a forum.

Anyway, I know there will be exceptions. Just a general observation that could be totally FOS.

Guest Sundancefisher

I don't work for a fishing lodge but I have brought close to $1 million in business to them via our companies social club fishing trips.

No one from the board has taken advantage of the steep discounts etc. but maybe some day.

Hey was this a hijack???

I wish I worked at a west coast lodge when I was 20 but now I could not keep up with them. The work way to hard for what they get paid.

I have not noticed any slick ads. Please direct us to a couple for interest sake.

Cheers

Sun

When ever I need questions answered re: Fly fishing and gear, I always look to this board. I value the opinions of the members of this board and they have helped me a lot in many aspects of the sport. Isn't that what this board is about?

I agree with Hawgstoppah..The marketing isn't blatant.

I think that if it wasn't for a lot of the people in the industry suggesting products there would be a lot less useful information. I haven't found there to be any out right "buy this from here" in fact in a few cases I have had employees of specific fly shops not to mention any names actually steer me away from the stuff they sell, even in front of their boss.

I tend to take the opinions of strangers with a grain of salt... But if someone has a product they REALLY endorse, it could be worth a look, ask around with trusted people that have experience ect...

So if people are really marketing on the forum, let them. Disclose if they want to, and if they are sneaky or underhanded, reputation will eventually catch up with them. So far most of the big talkers :lol: here seem to be pretty upfront as far as I can tell...

It ain't rocket surgery, it's just fishing! :blink:

El cinco

Here's a good question for you fishers stuck at home cause of the weather:

What do you think of people selling rods off for a chunk of profit, that they get on guide discounts ect?