Fly Fusion Forums

Who Is Brave Enough?

Guest bigbadbrent

what's sad, is that this in January was a decent day to go out...

couple warm days, and you never want to deal with the snow again

If I didn't have my kids for the weekend....Have a birthday party to go to tonight....And have to drive to Calgary in the morn....I Would go out to B.H....Just to get a fix....Myth 1228 have fished in some pretty crazy weather out there in the past...

Ya I've actually fished in a lot worse than this. I remember one time I was fishing with 2 buddies, it was kinda nice when the day started but by noon it was heavy snow, hard north wind, and about -15C. We had a big bonfire going on that island with pine tress down from cranston about a mile, and were getting a fish every time we were brave enough to go fish the run. Got too cold and came back to the fire to warm up before heading out for another try every about 5 minutes, but it sure was some awesome fishing and good times. :lol:

Ya I've actually fished in a lot worse than this. I remember one time I was fishing with 2 buddies, it was kinda nice when the day started but by noon it was heavy snow, hard north wind, and about -15C. We had a big bonfire going on that island with pine tress down from cranston about a mile, and were getting a fish every time we were brave enough to go fish the run. Got too cold and came back to the fire to warm up before heading out for another try every about 5 minutes, but it sure was some awesome fishing and good times. :lol:

Nice.... ;)

Guest bigbadbrent

haha thats awesome

my coldest day was when it was a balmy +3 in okotoks, so me and my buddy after school booted to policemens..we fished for literally 8 minutes, as it went from +3 in okotoks, to -18 plus wind on the river...didn't last too long,that's for sure

Did six hours yesterday. Fished untill I lost all three of my nymphs.....couldn't get my fingers to function enough to rig up again. Started ok, by the time I got back to the truck it was -8 and blowing hard. Managed 10 or 12 between the two of us.

A buddy of mine has a house on one of the neighborhood lakes. I went today at 4:30, -11, 25+ winds. Caught a feisty, fat 14"er off his pier on the first cast on a Glenbow (hey, where are you anyway?) chironomid. Sure can roll cast far with that much wind at your back.

It was only fun for a few minutes. Then it was cold. Then it was miserable. I changed leeches after the first 15 minutes. When I pinched the barb, I broke off the point. I thought "screw it" and decided I would use it anyway just to see if they would hit it because I wasn't sure I really wanted to tie any more knots! Fished for another 15 minutes, remembered I had a brain, and left!

it is not cold out. you are imagining it. it is getting very hot.

"..and I am getting very rich...."

The mean temp of the earth as not warmed since 1998 (according to some sources). Don't get me started..... ;)

What I have noticed and what seems to be apparent is that winter is starting later and lasting longer into the "spring". Checking my fishing logs from years past confirms this.

"..and I am getting very rich...."

The mean temp of the earth as not warmed since 1998 (according to some sources). Don't get me started..... ;)

What I have noticed and what seems to be apparent is that winter is starting later and lasting longer into the "spring". Checking my fishing logs from years past confirms this.

Warning/Warning/Warning

I am not in any way attempting to restart the global warming debate!!!!! Hydros statement just brought something to mind.

I was listening to the CBC today and heard the term "Confirmation bias." It essentially means we tend to listen to things that confirm our beliefs while quickly rejecting or even ignoring anything that runs counter to those beliefs.

I know I certainly fall into that trap from time to time (to time to time............)

Fished Rocky Mountain House today. I had one fish on for a couple seconds then...jump...and it was gone. Fished for about 4 hours and packed it in. Lost my net so if anyone from the area finds one downstream of the HWY 22 bridge crossing the Clearwater, please, let me know.

James

A buddy of mine has a house on one of the neighborhood lakes. I went today at 4:30, -11, 25+ winds. Caught a feisty, fat 14"er off his pier on the first cast on a Glenbow (hey, where are you anyway?) chironomid. Sure can roll cast far with that much wind at your back.

It was only fun for a few minutes. Then it was cold. Then it was miserable. I changed leeches after the first 15 minutes. When I pinched the barb, I broke off the point. I thought "screw it" and decided I would use it anyway just to see if they would hit it because I wasn't sure I really wanted to tie any more knots! Fished for another 15 minutes, remembered I had a brain, and left!

Rick,

Your Glenbow chronie didn't break (opps sorry I revealed)?

P

I have a customer from Atlanta that is up here on a contract. He fly fishes back home but is really keen on heading to the Rockies and getting in to some fish. He usually commutes back to Atlanta every weekend but planned a few weeks ago to stay this weekend and head down to the Crow with a few of my friends.

Not a great introduction to Alberta fly fishing!! He must be freezin' his ass off!!! Poor guy!! I guess if you can fish in this you can fish in anything!

I look forward to hearing the reports!!

was a good time all around (except for Harps insisting on that damn "character shot" with the sucker)...especially the German booze Lethfisher brought...that Apfel was slick...

on a side note, the rod i picked up from mitch was absolutely fantastic...just took a bit to warm it up (as is the case with any new rod)...