Fly Fusion Forums

Breathable Waders

gillmy

Hi, I'm new to the FFC, and new to fly fishing as well. I tried it for the first time at a lake in BC called Pennask Lake and really enjoyed it. I want to try out fishing on the Bow, cause it's only 10 minutes away.... I know I'll need some waders and from what I've read breathable waders would be the way to go. The problem is the huge selection of brands, models, and features - some are inexpensive and some are huge dollars. I don't mind spending money, but hard to know where the best value is. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

A local shop here has Cloudveil waders. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Thanks.

A local shop here has Cloudveil waders. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Thanks.

There are a few opinions on here and all about the same... Not very good quality control. Last year a buddy was looking at them at Wholesale and the pair he tried on had two left feet!! You can get a better wader for less money.

Speaking of which... Check out Courtney's post on the sponsorship thread.

Peter

i have been wearing the cheapy hodgeman waders for 3 years now no leaks what so ever they have lasted longer than two pairs of boots so far save your money the cheap ones work good to

Second that, I like the hodgeman's I got under a hundy from ebay, bushwackin thur stunted juniper and black spruce with no problem so far, actually got ed stopped in my tracks with broken branch caught into the wader without puncture............and no leaks either.

Maybe I just got a good pair.....................but with my luck I doubt that.

I used to be a Simms fan, but my G3's have let me down after not even 6 months of use. Leaks in the crotch, the seams where the foot meets the leg on both legs, and one on the seam where the 5 ply joins the 3 ply.

I'll probably be going back to Wardell, as I had 4 years out of my last pair.

There are a few opinions on here and all about the same... Not very good quality control. Last year a buddy was looking at them at Wholesale and the pair he tried on had two left feet!! You can get a better wader for less money.

Speaking of which... Check out Courtney's post on the sponsorship thread.

Peter

Thanks.

Well I just placed an order for a pair of Wardell/Springbrook chest waders. These are the model 4000 or something like that. Not the more pricey ones, but since I had been almost convinced to try the Simms, it will be interesting to see how these work out.

Nice to see that they have a Canadian Factory and from the notes on this forum they seem to offer decent support as well.

Cheers.

I like my patagonia's........but never leave home without the UV knotsense.....

I initially liked my Paties as well, but now it seems I get a new leak every time I go out.. I know they have improved the design somewhat over the model I have, so I'm not sure what the latest version is like...

P

scierra c3 for waiste waste highs and the c6 are the end all of waders for me.. bin tearing the sh*t out of mine since febuary or so and still no leaks! im stunned... unbelievable waders for only 4 bills retail... got the zipper mega pocket room and wahtnot....

This may be too late now, but I've recently been doing a bit of wader shopping. I ruled out anything over $350 because I just don't see the reason to spend that much when there are plenty of waders available for under $350 that have solid reputations. I looked at Grey's GRX, Guideline Techstretch, Reddington CPS, Patagonia Watermaster II's and William Joseph V2's. I ended up getting the Guideline Techstretch (and so far love them) because they fit the best for me, tall and thin. As well, I think these are damn close to equal, if not equal, to the Simms G3's and more supple. These are sweet waders. However, I would have purchased any of these waders based on my research. Depending upon where you are, any of them can be found on sale somewhere. I still have a pair of older Wardell's as did my brother, but found the material to be a bit on the rigid side. As well, I understand that the newer ones are not made locally, but offshore and have had some leaking problems. I also still have an older pair of Bare lightweight travel waders that are not very breathable, but have lasted for years.

BTW, I fish about 12-15 days per year.

Those are my two bits.

Cheers,

Mark

My son and I have Cabela's Premium Dry Plus waders and have nothing but good things to say about them. Two years of fishing in them now, no leaks, dry as a bone, good breathability, and a great price (waist ~$100, chest ~$125). We have fished in lots of different conditions including fishing all winter this year and they still look great and perform wonderfully. Even if I only get another couple of years out of them, they will be an absolute bargain in comparison to the $300-400 waders out there.

I have the Dry Plus too. I don't know where you got yours but they're $169us plus shipping plus customs.etc. After everything is said and done, they're over $200can.

I ordered the wrong size and had to send that back. $30 more for shipping and handling and over a month later (they go to Ont first and land in a big black hole), I got the a chance to use them. I fish about 4 times a month and in about 6 months, they developed a small leak at the ankle. Cabela's took them back without question but it took another 2 months (same black hole). Of course, they showed up the day after I left for a fishing trip.

If I was to do it all over again, I think I would avoid mailorder waders.

Hydropsyche,

Picked the two pairs up during a business trip to the US. I tend to travel quite light so my suitcase was just jammed full. No shipping, no GST. Maybe I just got lucky or you got unlucky but we have two pairs and so far they are great! From what I can tell the quality is there--no fancy name but from my perspective a good product.

The only experience I have with Cabelas and mail order is having items sent to my parents in Scottsdale. That works out okay. It might have something to do with the fact that there is a store in the Phoenix area though.

I still have a pair of older Wardell's as did my brother, but found the material to be a bit on the rigid side. As well, I understand that the newer ones are not made locally, but offshore and have had some leaking problems. I also still have an older pair of Bare lightweight travel waders that are not very breathable, but have lasted for years.

Mark

Well I emailed Springbrook with respect to your comment, and asked them to phone me to discuss this. I did order a pair so am interested in following this up.

I have to say however that so far in the ordering process they have been very helpful. The waders that I looked at in the local shop here in Fort St. John were not bad at all as to being overly rigid, in fact they seemed better all around than the Sage and Cloudveil waders they stocked, being more comparable to a set of Hodgsons (not sure of its spelling here).

Your comment is appreciated and I think it is good to be able to share the good and any bad views as well on forums like this.

Well I emailed Springbrook with respect to your comment, and asked them to phone me to discuss this. I did order a pair so am interested in following this up.

I have to say however that so far in the ordering process they have been very helpful. The waders that I looked at in the local shop here in Fort St. John were not bad at all as to being overly rigid, in fact they seemed better all around than the Sage and Cloudveil waders they stocked, being more comparable to a set of Hodgsons (not sure of its spelling here).

Your comment is appreciated and I think it is good to be able to share the good and any bad views as well on forums like this.

Got this reply from Springbrook re Wardell waders this morning:

Don't believe everything you read. Every pair is leak tested in our Calgary factory before they are packaged to go to the dealer. We have not seen any increase in leaking since we started building waders offshore.

Got this reply from Springbrook re Wardell waders this morning:

Don't believe everything you read. Every pair is leak tested in our Calgary factory before they are packaged to go to the dealer. We have not seen any increase in leaking since we started building waders offshore.

All I know is my experience. My brother had an old pair of the locally made ones that developed a boot leak in one foot after about 4 years of 10-15 day a year use. No complaints and Springbrook replaced them (excellent service) with new ones. But, the new ones were noticeably stiffer and developed a seam leak in the leg within less than 6 uses. He sent them in and Springbrook repaired them, but the leak persisted. He bought a new pair of the Reddington CPS, more supple and, after 1 year of use, no leaks. It's just one person's experience.

BTW, I still fish in my old Wardell hybrid breathable/neoprene bootfoots for winter steelhead.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mark

He sent them in and Springbrook repaired them, but the leak persisted. He bought a new pair of the Reddington CPS, more supple and, after 1 year of use, no leaks. It's just one person's experience.

BTW, I still fish in my old Wardell hybrid breathable/neoprene bootfoots for winter steelhead.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I guess as is the case with many retail items there are sometimes bad lots and one can only persue issues so far. Maybe I will be lucky.

If they are fine then great. If not, then I now have lots of possibilities to look into and have this forum to thank for that and besides, it is not like buying another pair will break a person anyway at these prices.

I tried the Redington CPS waders when I was looking to replace my Wardell's. I went through 3 DOA pairs, all with leaks at the foot/leg seam and the 5/4 ply seams the first time I tried them. I figured the CPS had similar specs to the Simms G3 Guides, but after 3 DOA pairs from the factory I returned them for a refund, shelled out the extra bucks and purchased the G3 Guides. Like I posted before, the G3's were great for about 6 months, but are leaking at multiple seams. I've since had Springbrook repair my Wardell's.

I think you have two options with waders:

1: Shell out some cash for a really good pair of waders and hope they don't leak.

2: Give in to the fact that all waders leak, and spend accordingly so that you are at least comfortable in a good fitting pair until they leak.

My Milano's still have no leaks whatsoever. 50+ trips I would say (so multiple years worth of fishing for many of you).

LK, I know you are a new moderator and all and as such are very, very busy. But how are yours holding up?