Fly Fusion Forums

Breathable Waders

gillmy

Hi, I'm new to the FFC, and new to fly fishing as well. I tried it for the first time at a lake in BC called Pennask Lake and really enjoyed it. I want to try out fishing on the Bow, cause it's only 10 minutes away.... I know I'll need some waders and from what I've read breathable waders would be the way to go. The problem is the huge selection of brands, models, and features - some are inexpensive and some are huge dollars. I don't mind spending money, but hard to know where the best value is. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I have to say that I am now very partial to Snowbee waders...for the first time I have breathable waders that are also dry waders on the inside...I my garage I have leaky waders from Simms,Bear,Loop, Greys, Wardell,Sedge and a few others too cheap to mention. It got to a point where I simply wasn't going to buy into the hype about G3's and the others...

I am now re-gaining some trust into breathables. After wearing my Snowbee XS Pro Zip Front Waders more than 100 times in both fresh and Salt water I am happy to say that these breathables do not leak.

I hate looking around and seeing everyone about wearing Simms...it's pathetic! Of course I am somewhat biased...we do sell Snowbee Waders...and they do have the largest selection of Waders in Europe...something about that??

MikeG,

It's best that you try on different waders, as fit is a big factor. In my wader search, I looked at the Redington CPS, Dan Bailey Yellowstone, Simms Guide, and Simms G3. All have similar characteristics with differences in price, durability, warranty, and material. Because the Simms guides fit the best for me, I bought them over the other ones. The Redington CPS look like great bang for the buck, as they have a lot of the features as the G3's, but at around 40% of the cost. The Dan Bailey Yellowstones have had great reviews from local guides who use them, but I found a few too many bad reviews online that made me a little nervous. The Simms are always rock solid, and had more good reviews online than bad, but are at the higher end on price. Guys like Hawgstoppah use Wardells, and he seems quite happy with them.

I bought my Simms Guide waders at West Winds at 30% off a month ago. Tough to beat at that price. I'll see how they do by the end of this season.

That's the research I've done, so definitely look at price, fit, and features, as they will be the 3 main factors to look at. I would not recommend cheaping out though, as you will quickly learn your lesson there.

Good luck on your search.

Pathetic? Really? Kind of insulting to those of us who own Simms gear isn't it?

Apparently.

Didn't mean to offend anyone,especially at the costs of waders..but I too am a fisherman and have been so frustrated over the years with all the empty promises....and then get an "Opps,design flaw..send it back now that we have your money and we will send you another pair for now so that maybe sometimes in the future we might get it Right!"

The Pathetic point was at the need to have so few trusted waders out there,and Simms does make a good wader and like Sage(relationship) set a good standard.

I can never understand why companies are so willing to produce a poor product and be willing to waste so much material in doing so. Our landfills are so full of such items...will we never get it!?

I do Apologize!

Courtney

I am on my 5th season with my Simms and all was well until Max took me on a hike now they leak :lol: I can't complain about mine and I have abused them a lot over the years and to get 5 out of them was well worth the money.

Sometimes when I gear up I just shake my head but what can I do when most of my gear was giving to me as gifts and they bought them at TroutFitters. I am Simms from head to toe, boots are Simms, wader, gravel guards, one vest I have and then I had to buy there new wind stopper jacket so I could look like a Simms pumpkin :blink: Last year my GF bought me an Orvis hydration pack so now I feel odd screwing up the Simms MoJo.

Maybe it's time we all went to the Gangsta style with sideways hats and camo jackets but then Max would have to change his look :P

Have not worn a lot of different waders. Two pairs of Wardell/Springbrook. Last year the one foot started to leak. Delivered them right to Springbrook. In two days they had them fixed and mailed them back to me in Sundre. Can't beat that kind of service. And I do think the leaking foot was my fault for walking around before I put my boots on. I would have been willing to pay for the repair but they would not hear of it, since they were still under warranty.

Like most long time fly fishers I've had a lot of waders, some good, some bad, some ugly. My Simms G3 wouldn't have leaked less if I had pushed the lawn mower over them 2 or 3 times, and they were only 3 month old. The Simms dealer/reatailer said I wore them out! (Not any of the local guys) Grudgingly he gave me a credit (not full value) and I got the Guidewieghts, which after 3 years have been acceptable with only a few small leaks as of lately. So far these have been my best pair in 30+ years of flyfishing.

I really think it was the stupid @#$% &^%$ guy I got them (the G3's) from and not Simms. However I will seriously look into the Patagonia's and William Joseph one's next. The Simms are the most comfortable waders I have had.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my White river fly shop breathable waders and boots with felt and stud sole for 200 canadian shipped priority from Basspro.com.

The waders are very comfortable and the boots are very comfortable with the waders on. Used them once this year and kept me nice and dry all day.

After hearing some good reviews on the Patagonia Watermaster II's I have decided to give them a try and go away from the

Simms. I just got them so it will take some time on the water to see how they will work out. They sure fit good.

I'm a Simms fan but to be honest you can't go wrong with most of the brands out there nowadays. Get the best fit possible.

A second nod to UV Wader Repair - I got a 2" long tear on the seam of my Simms Guides and was taking on copious amounts of water. A 30 second repair inside and out on the way down to the lake and they are good as new. Awesome product!