Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead...still Some Biggens...

Mader out to B.H. This later morn...Met Myth1228 there...He was fishing for a while before I was..And he got into some nice ones...Got no pics of his...as I took Videos of his fish...Didnt get to fish long with him... As he had prior engagements and had to header back to the Hat...Yes there are still some nice Trout in there :) ...Alot better average than last spring...Fish were hitting good on all your basic spring patterns...They had allot of spunk for this time of year compared to last spring...Helped a couple people out with some casting and handed out some flies...I felt bad (honest I did)...I was getting fish after fish...And there were beginner fly casters fishing right beside me that were getting frustrated and I could tell they really wanted to get into some fish...Helped em out...And they got into some fish...My good deed for the day :D ...Anywase I'm super glad to see there were big fish to hand this day...I never expected the average to be what it was...measured all the fish under 15 inches..And will send them to Terry...(only about 6 of them) also let people know about the fish measuring...and why...and where to send the records...Caught a couple fish that seemed to have some rotting...and or blisters on there skin and Dorsal fin..not sure what it was...never seen it before in B.H....Will send a couple pics of that to Terry as well...And show a couple pics of it below...CO's were out twice today...Roger was handing out Cards with the phone number to the Elkwater station and encouraging people to phone in if they see anything out of the ordinary...Great stuff on Co's part!!!...If we look after this fishery...It will look after us!! :) ...Had a great day and looking forward of years of this great fishery to come...

Cheers...Jeff...C&R...It works :D

Pics dont do justice to the size of the fish pics taken in the water...I think we all know that anywho...

BullsheadApr-1408003.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408006.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408015.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408025.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408019.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408007.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408017.jpg

Here is the weird looking stuff from one of the fish

BullsheadApr-1408022.jpg

BullsheadApr-1408021.jpg

Fishing was awesome this morning. Highlight of my day was switching a homemade streamer pattern Ive been playing with and on my first cast having the line ripped out of my hands and and into my backing in a matter of 5-8 seconds. I couldn't believe the run - I couldn't stop her to save my life. Ended up landing her and it was a beauty 22" clean female. I would have loved to of stayed out there all day but I guess Ill have the rest of the week - can't wait!

looks and sounds like a fantastic day on the water Jeff..great pictures. I was going to head out there today however it is raining in town so it is more than likely snowing at BH's elevation. I am heading out that way tomorrow for sure..got a boxful of chirono' patterns to try out that I've been tying this winter.

I sent a couple of the pics to Terry Clayton of the fish with the blisters...And he said...It looks like it is ''Gas Bubble Disease"...quote Terry.."Its caused when the water is super-saturated with gas, ussualy from nitrogen.It often occurs at the base of a dam-the pessure of falling water forces the air trapped with it down into the plunge pool.This causes the water to become super-saturated, and any fish in the plunge pool will show signs of gas bubble disease. If it doesnt kill them outright, it goes away when the pressure changes, or the fish swims out of the danger zone. I will have to look into this more, because these are the best photos I've seen of GBD in a pond"..end quote...

Interesting...Hope any fish in the lake with GBD will be O.K....

Never mentioned in the report...Ice is coming off in a hurry...Should be all off by weekend... depending on the weather...

Jeff...

ive never been to bh and i have a few questions for you guys.

1. are gas motors allowed?

2. even if they are allowed is it nessacary? can i get around the lake on the oars no problem?

No gas motors. There's lots of good fishing close to the boat launch, but getting on the oars opens up more of the lake to you. No real need for an electric.

If you're heading out in the next month, I wouldn't even worry about the boat...it's more fun to fish it from shore.

If you're heading out in the next month, I wouldn't even worry about the boat...it's more fun to fish it from shore.

Yup. The only time I really use my fatcat is in summer to get out past the weeds. Otherwise it's from shore. Besides, alot of times it's too windy for my tube.

I'm going out Saturday and Sunday for sure. Nothing will stop me. Rain, snow, fog. That's unless the lake freezes over again. :(

Yes...only time it slows down is from mid July to late August.

Sept. and Oct...Are the best....Not allot of weeds...Fish are in the warmer water...Fish are way more active...And take you into the backing on several occations...

I'm headed there next saturday also have room for three if anyone wants to ride. Hey doug see ya there next saturday?!

I am scheduled to work on the 19th..but may be able to leave early if I have something important to do :lol: If I am able I will be seeing you out there.