Fly Fusion Forums

Hooks Bending Back

fishfreak

I've been hooking fish of significant size (at least 22") on small nymphs, but they keep getting away. After I look at the hook, I notice that it is bent back. This has happened a lot lately, and twice again this morning with some acrobatic browns.

The only reasons why they could be bending are the following:

- hook is too weak (these were bought)

- I'm pulling in too hard to bring the fish in

- incorrect technique (I've been using side pressure and trying to stay perpendicular to the fish from the river)

- fish is too strong and I lost a 28" monster broonie!! :D

Any thoughts or insights into this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

you may bend out the odd hook on a fish under the right (or wrong I guess) conditions, but if your bending out alot you have some bad hooks, assuming your not nymphing with 20 lbs test. your line or hook set will fail before your hook. Ive had a few batches of bad hooks (don;t buy no name hooks off e-bay) some bent out very easily, so I garbaged them, another batch of hooks i had, the eye would snap off..hook a nice fish and he'd break off..the eye of the hook would come in on your line...stick to brand name quality hooks..

I use Tiemco or Mustad hooks for the nymphs I tie, and none of them have bent back. The nymphs that bent back were bought from one of the fishing shops in town. I might talk to them about it.

I guess it was a batch of bad hooks, as it doesn't seem like there is anything too wrong with my technique. I'm also using 3X tippet, and that should fail before the hook does.

I've been hooking fish of significant size (at least 22") on small nymphs, but they keep getting away. After I look at the hook, I notice that it is bent back. This has happened a lot lately, and twice again this morning with some acrobatic browns.

The only reasons why they could be bending are the following:

- hook is too weak (these were bought)

- I'm pulling in too hard to bring the fish in

- incorrect technique (I've been using side pressure and trying to stay perpendicular to the fish from the river)

- fish is too strong and I lost a 28" monster broonie!! :D

Any thoughts or insights into this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

fishfreak,

Have had much the same problem with both Mustad 94840's in sizes <18 and Tiemco's model 100 in sizes <14. They bent bad. I switched to Partridge Capt Hamilton Hooks some years ago for dries. Trouble showed up with Ralphie. Bending the bard down causes them to break. Got hundreds of tiny flies tied that are now junk.

Switched nearly all of my hooks over to Mustad Signature series. They hold.

catch ya'

Don

fishfreak,

Have had much the same problem with both Mustad 94840's in sizes <18 and Tiemco's model 100 in sizes <14. They bent bad. I switched to Partridge Capt Hamilton Hooks some years ago for dries. Trouble showed up with Ralphie. Bending the bard down causes them to break. Got hundreds of tiny flies tied that are now junk.

Switched nearly all of my hooks over to Mustad Signature series. They hold.

catch ya'

Don

Same problem here with the Mustad 94840's. Had one realy bad on that a large trout actually flattened the barb against the shank. Turfed em all. I love Parridge barbless and the Signiture series. No problems since. I'ed rather spend a bit more money on a quality hook and not waste teh tying time.