Fly Fusion Forums

The Ethical Question

Is it ethical to fish for the pre-spawn rainbows?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ethical to fish for the pre-spawn rainbows?

• Yes it is ethical
    • No it is not ethical
    • I don't care, but it leads to bad ettiquete in the later months
    • People are way too hard up on catching lots of fish
    • Where are these stacked fish!?!
    • Who cares?

If it doesn't effect the rainbow populations then why are we even having this discussion? Last I saw we all fish to have fun and connect with nature, at the mouth of the Highwood or the NSR here in Edmonton. If you're not impacting the population of fish then go out there, nail em and have a great day!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With people flooding here everyday our fishing resources will be under pressure (they are all ready), and we will see a decline in the quality of fishing throughout Alberta.

While I'm not going to debate this issue or even participate in the poll, your comment concerns me. Not that I think you are wrong or that what you say is inaccurate. I agree our fishing resources are under pressure and that pressure will only become more acute at the years go by. However, I wonder if your reasoning and blame is misplaced. No doubt the flooding of people here everyday is continually increasing the pressure on our fisheries but I submit to you that the greatest pressure has nothing to do with anglers on the rivers and streams of Alberta. The pressure on our fisheries resulting from the influx of people is most profoundly the development associated with the influx and our provincial government's inability or lack of desire to protect the fisheries resource. There are many examples of this on virtually every stream in Alberta where development and industry are given precedence over the retention and preservation of our waterways. While the provincial government gives lip service to the entire issue and presents a bold and endearing front, that fact of the matter is that industry and development along and across Alberta waterways are killing more fish each and every day than you or I will in a life time.

• 7 months later...
you know what i think is ironic is that from this debate it will dramaticly increase the pressure on this spot because of this disscusion thoes who have thought of giving a try now will this debate has had 788 views and is discussed every year i know it's not a secret place but it gives motivation to go give it a try.

Totally agree with tihs comment.. I have never waded there, but only floated through, it does make you want to check it out...but the mass amounts of people down there will keep me miles away....that is part of the reason I go fishing in the first place..of course I also love bagging those amazing trout too!

My opinion if people are okay with that type (busy as a shopping mall) of fishing and there are no studies showing significant harm to the fish then let people fish.

Totally agree with tihs comment.. I have never waded there, but only floated through, it does make you want to check it out...but the mass amounts of people down there will keep me miles away....that is part of the reason I go fishing in the first place..of course I also love bagging those amazing trout too!

My opinion if people are okay with that type (busy as a shopping mall) of fishing and there are no studies showing significant harm to the fish then let people fish.

If they bane it in the regs I'll of course respect the regs and be in support. On the other hand you'll probably see me there come spring unless something changes.

I didn't read a lot of this post.

But, I'm going to make this easy for all of you. There are actually people who's job it is to manage our fisheries.

Think about how much better you are at your job than somebody who might dabble in it few times a year.

Sure, they are underfunded and over worked; they may have never even seen some of the streams they make the regs for. But guess what, the Bow is not one of those streams.

These guys have 7 to 10+ years of education- a lot of it specifically dedicated to managing the resource we all call our pastime. Lets give them some respect for their hard work and dedication to our fisheries.

I think the question here is "is fishing the confluence (or any barrier for that matter) sportsman-like", not "is it ethical." The people that manage our fisheries have established that fishing hours at the confluence does not impact the population significantly.

In my opinion, that means that if fishing is ethical, fishing at the confluence in early spring is ethical. Challenging...no. Sportsman-like...?

A lot of people would argue that catch and release is unethical. I met one today on the river. Fair enough.

• 2 years later...
It is completely unethical to fish the mouth of the Highwood, at any time of year. Particularly on the east side of the river. Particularly in the morning, though it is sorta unethical in the afternoon too. I'm comprising a list of 15 other places I know of where fish congregate (like deep chop, riffles, runs, etc.) that it is unethical as well. Also, I've decided casting to a rising fish (cuz you know he's there, is eating and therefore vulnerable) is skirting the line of ethicism as well. Hell, let's just extend that to any visible fish.

All you guys after the challenge should always fish long flat sections of river with no depth changes or contrasts with no visible rises or cruising fish. Dry flies only. Have fun!! Let us heathens know how you do.

I've decided all fishing is unethical. You should all quit and give me your stuff.

You've said it. Can we make a deal on some of the extra stuff you get doubles of?

It's got more to do with how you long you play them out and how strong they need to be to break free of the kungfu revival grip.

:cheers:

I personally don't fish that spot, anymore, because I pursue the Browns in the city during the spring. When I did try the mouth of the highwood in April, years ago, I did not do very well. It just was like any other slow day, anywhere else on the river. Biologists have determined that catch and release of these large rainbows has very low mortality, so I see no problem fishing for them here.

:)

I first write that fake story a few years ago and the older members will have seen it. I merely made a few changes to suit the "spawning fish" theme here.

All in fun. :)