Fly Fusion Forums

Wid Weir Removal

Guest bigbadbrent

All i know is they're making a whitewater section, and a easy drifting section

All i have to say, is that this is gonna SUCK...the rafter numbers from downstream of 17th ave is going to be up beyond exponentially compared to the years of past

All i know is they're making a whitewater section, and a easy drifting section

All i have to say, is that this is gonna SUCK...the rafter numbers from downstream of 17th ave is going to be up beyond exponentially compared to the years of past

its alright i fish in the nw a ton in the summer.

i already deal with millions of rafters.

im just really intrested to see how this will affect the number of fish both upstream and downstream of the weir.

do you think fish will start moving up? or will it not make to much diffrence?

Guest bigbadbrent

Any fish that wants over that wier, won't have a problem. It's more of a fact that there is less macrophytes upstream of the waste treatment plants at bonnybrook and fishcreek, meaning less nutrients, so the fish won't have a reason to move up. I think you'll see a whitefish increase, if anything, they don't like the plants

I went to the presentation at the zoo about a year ago, or so. They had a biologist there who stated that they thought that removing the weir would allow more fish to migrate upstream for spawning purposes. The also had some people from the city who thought it would improve the park setting at that spot, the canoe clubs were in attendance to state it would make for a easier trip up and downstream on the river and the fire-rescue folks said they hoped it would result in a decrease in deaths and accidents. So that in a nutshell about sums up what I found out. Maybe more rainbows would spawn in the Elbow as a result?

I went to the presentation at the zoo about a year ago, or so. They had a biologist there who stated that they thought that removing the weir would allow more fish to migrate upstream for spawning purposes. The also had some people from the city who thought it would improve the park setting at that spot, the canoe clubs were in attendance to state it would make for a easier trip up and downstream on the river and the fire-rescue folks said they hoped it would result in a decrease in deaths and accidents. So that in a nutshell about sums up what I found out. Maybe more rainbows would spawn in the Elbow as a result?

But the fishing is going to suck for Brent so the project is on hold :lol:

i read in the paper today that they intend on putting in a section of water falls and pools, as if a waterfall wont kill some drunk ***hole on an air matress. i think they should just leave the weir and put more danger signs in place on the river. if their gonna tear down the wier because 14 people have died since it was built, then they might as well tear out the Deerfoot trail.

• 5 months later...
from the paper today it sounds like it's just a lack of money.

in the herald today - they got the prov. approvals [$$] to go ahead now with the new budget, the city & others topped up some too. work 'could begin next month', 'could be open for summer 2010'.

i know it will make for some potentially interesting new [and longer] drifts anyways...

in the herald today - they got the prov. approvals [$$] to go ahead now with the new budget, the city & others topped up some too. work 'could begin next month', 'could be open for summer 2010'.

i know it will make for some potentially interesting new [and longer] drifts anyways...

Cool. I was just wondering about that when I drove by the other day.

wasn't it put in to fill the irrigation canal with water for the farmers years ago?

That was the sole purpose of the weir, it's still in service today.

The new 'falls' will do the same thing, just drop the water the height of the weir over a longer distance making it 'safe' to pass by boat.

There will still be a safety boom on one side of the river.

This will aim to keep people away from the intake gates of the irrigation canal.

Found this on the internet, it's a pretty picture.

It looks like the weir is still in place, that will be the first 'falls' in the series.

post-477-1222269508.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have had email conversations with Mac Hickley, MEDes Manager, River Valleys Committee. He has said:

The in-river engineering work will be at least a 2-3 year project, during which there will be no public access to the area – for fishing or any other activities – between the CPR bridge and Cushing Bridge. There will probably also be a further period when fishing will be prohibited, until Fish & Wildlife can confirm that the project is working properly for fish passage. After that, it will be up to them to decide on the rules for fishing in the area.

I know that TU had Issued a letter with their concerns and suggestions.

I am no expert but I would imagine because of the size of the project there would be some impact on the immediate downstream area.