Fly Fusion Forums

Sink Tip

walker1

Need a new sink tip as the old one if cracked and needs replacing.

It was a good line, SA wet tip express. Am looking at the Streamer express though site research. 30 foot head and a 5.5-8 ips sink rate. Looks about right for the bow. I wade fish and pontoon casting my streamers with a 7 wt. sage vps.

Anyone have a streamer express????? comments

I have the SA Streamer Express 300 grn line on an 8 weight Sage FLI. Great for throwing streamers and big nymphs like a size 4 golden stone. I've only had it since the beginning of November, so I can't comment on the durability. My first day out with the line was in brutal wind and I was still managing decent accuracy and distance with a size 4 conehead Bow River Bugger on. Only bonked myself in the back of the head once (thank god for wading jackets with thick hoods).

I was going to purchase the streamer express but was told to just buy SA headstart and some t8(?) sections that troutfitters makes....saved myself 35$ and its seems to be doing the trick...just an option..brent may be able tell you if its t8 or if im making it up..

When I bought my 8wt second hand it came with custom heads. A 5' mini, 10' T4, 10' T8, 10' T14 and the original floating tip.

It SEEMS fairly easy to make one's own tips....I may experiment, but really, the setup I have will cover all the water I'll ever fish. Still learning this shooting head thing.

Thanks for the feedback boys. Brent, this set up is only really used on the Bow so no real need to have the extra loops from multi tip . If the running line was still in decent shape I would make my own as I have done this on my first streamer line years ago. Worked fine and does save $$$$.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbadbrent

It's a sinktip size. T8 (or type 8) means that it weighs 8 grains per foot...It was designed for single handers (usually the sizes you would see on the bow, like a #5-#7), and smaller double hand rods. It sinks at about 7 inchs per second.

My favourite tip on the bow is usually my 15 foot section of t8, and that's banging bottom all day long..lose a lot of flies, but stick a lot of pigs. All of the trout i've caught over 24" so far this year on the spey rod were using that section

it's easy enough to make your own loops on the end of these, and fly lines. Just loop it back on itself, with the loop size you're looking for. Then make at least 2 nail knots with at least 25lb test. Then knotsense the knots if you're so inclined (adds strength, durability, and doesn't catch in the guides as easily).

Guest bigbadbrent
Love the T8's.......just one question for you nymph swingers out there.....how long of a leader do you generally use on a sink tip nymph rig?

depends on what sink tip im using..the faster it sinks, the shorter the leader...Intermediate sink tip i usually use a 6'. T6 i use a 4', everything else is 2'.

Depending on the shop bigbadbrown, it ranges from .25 to .75 a foot. and yes, BRTF carries it

Need a new sink tip as the old one if cracked and needs replacing.

It was a good line, SA wet tip express. Am looking at the Streamer express though site research. 30 foot head and a 5.5-8 ips sink rate. Looks about right for the bow. I wade fish and pontoon casting my streamers with a 7 wt. sage vps.

Anyone have a streamer express????? comments

I'd recommend looking at the SA floating Compact shooting heads, for single handers. Then just add 5' or 10' Airflow polyleaders (12lb. core), available in floating, Intermediate, Type 3, Type 6, to the SA head. Factory loops make it easy to quickly adapt to all conditions. This system casts/fishes very well.

Trying to cast T-8, which is 8 grains/foot, with a standard 7wt. fly line that weights 7 grains/foot, is not going to work very well. It takes mass to turn over mass, so the mass of the fly line must be greater than the mass of the leader/tippets/flys that follow. Compact shooting heads, condense the mass of a 30' head into a 23' head. So, a 7wt. Shooting head would weight around 210 grains @ 23', which is 9 grains/foot. Adequate for T-8 and no problem for T-6.