Fly Fusion Forums

If You Could Live Anywhere In Alberta....

nwalker

I think I'd stay put. Far enough from calgary down here that no one's around (for the most part) and there's some "secret" spots that don't see more than 10 people a year I bet. Close enough to the pass and the oldman / liv, castle etc, and I see just about enough of the Bow in the summer to keep my feet wet but at the same time I have no desire at all to move back to Calgary. I like my 2 stoplight town. :lol:

Snakeman,

I moved into an acreage above Discovery Ridge in 1984, the ffing was awesome back then...I used to keep a fair amount of those fish and they were tasty...There are still some great moments on that stretch, but lots more people...

That's awesome, it must have looked way different in those days.

I've found some good little holes off the beaten path on that stretch, but it's hard to avoid running into people with a whole neighborhood there. So were brookies the predominant fish back then?

I've lived in central Alberta (Red Deer) for the past 30 years. I like the idea of not living in the bigger city, if I feel the need for those ammenities the larger centres offer, I'm just and hour and a half away. The only setback of the area is that there isn't much fishing, yeap, definitely down south is the place to be.

Born & Raised here in Calgary, never moved away..I still love it here in spite of all the change...No point in bitching about all the people,traffic,crime..Just duck your head and keep the good things in focus..Some of the best fishing on the planet!! The Bow from Banff to 50km below Carseland is world class...All of the other smaller water, just begging to be fished!! It's hard to get to all the good spots every other year,never mind every year...Calgary..Trout Fishing Central..

Amen to that, James.

Enough shopping to keep the wife & daughter happy, & I can get in 6 hours of fishing on the Bow before going

to work on an afternoon shift. About 10 minutes from the time I remove my chestwaders to the time I put on

my workboots. So many other quality waters within a couple hours drive, as well. Shoot, I've taken day trips

to fish S.E. BC (gotta give the Alberta trout a rest now & then).

You won't hear this Newf complaining about flyfishing opportunities around Cowtown.

-Steve M.-

my story sounds like dryflys, born in Wales, moved to calgary when i was 8. lived there till i was 30 then moved to lethbridge. this is where i feel i belong. i absolutley love southern alberta and the prairies. lethbridge is the fishing capital of alberta, surrounded by great reservoirs full of many species of gamefish as well as only an hour from the pass and even closer to some other great streams. Lethbridge is the place for me.

M

You'd have a hard time talking me out of a cozy log cabin south of Nordegg.

I know it's not the best area for the fishing, not for a long season anyways, but the scenery, and partial solitude would be awesome. In fact a log cabin on the side of just about any mountain would suit me fine. Just a hillbilly I guess.

k

Fallen timber or Water Valley. couple nice unnoticed streams near by and a stones throw to the FTR.

LS this summer we should head out, the raven and Panther are on my list as well.

a little convincing a bet we can get rocknbugs to join us. he's got a trailer out that way.

Teck