Fly Fusion Forums

If You Could Live Anywhere In Alberta....

nwalker

Where do you think the best place to live in Alberta would be for fly fishing? Crowsnest Pass? Opinions? Although Calgary is more centralizied, I think the Pass would have the most fishing diversity (best bang for the buck) within a close area.

Calgary is more centralized? Centralized to what? Calgary? You sure you didn't mean Calgarians are more centralized, as in centralized on themselves? :lol:

The province is approximately 1224 long, Calgary is 230km from the southern border. Edmontonians control your destiny.

Where ever my wife wants to live. We know who wears the waders in our house even if she doesn't fish....L

She wants acreage and I keep telling her to win the lotto

I just moved up here last year so I like all of Alberta that I have seen....but south has to be my fav area reminds me of WA(home)

I like mountains and lots of trees....Banff area is nice as well and close to Calgary

Guest tallieho

I've lived in cowtown all of my life.Have seen my small friendly town turn into a nasty city,in my opinion the worst thing that could ever have happened here was when the olympics came here it showed how quaint we were.I retire in 14months & am leaning very strongly to calling Claresholm my residence.

Ill stay put here. Fishing 10 minutes from door to 1st cast on a great section of river, really nice selection of golf, 2 hrs to world class skiing. Add 1 hour to the Highwood, a just a bit more to the 'stone.

As to nasty city, I just don't see it, but my comparison is Houston and NO, so I'm a bit jaded.

As to nasty city, I just don't see it, but my comparison is Houston and NO, so I'm a bit jaded.[/quote

For those of use who have lived in Calgary all our lives (which is very, very few), we have scene it change drastically. The worst thing I have scene is how the suburban sprawl has swallowed up so much countryside.

Damn I hate the suburbs, they’re destroying this city.

As to nasty city, I just don't see it, but my comparison is Houston and NO, so I'm a bit jaded.[/quote

For those of use who have lived in Calgary all our lives (which is very, very few), we have scene it change drastically. The worst thing I have scene is how the suburban sprawl has swallowed up so much countryside.

Left work at 4:00. In the water at 5 PM. 1 18" brown, 1 19" brown. Off water at 5:45. Home at 6. To my home in the suburbs (Chaparral) which I love.

I'm sure it was nicer back in the day. Wish I had been here then. Its pretty great now. I don't mean a drop of disrespect, but don't let your desire for a past which is gone and never coming back ruin your enjoyment which is still a pretty good place.

Eastend or Maple Ck Sk until about 2 1/2 million of ya get inspired and move somewheres else :P :P :P otherwise I'm stayin put.

Maybe you could build a hut up on the mystery rocks near the Fort and garrison it to keep the Albertan's form migrating East.

I would choose the Pass myself as I have lots of playgrounds out in that region. But most likely it will Saskabush, provided Albertans don't drive the price of land out of my range (which should only take a year or two). Maybe I'll just squat on Taco's land on the Battle, or run whiskey for him out in Estevan! ;)

I've lived in southern Alberta for 40 years--come fall. Born in England and lived in Edmonchuk for 13 years before heading South. Lived in small towns for 40 years. So I am biased. Love it here and have become an obnoxious southern zealot! Wouldn't live anywhere on earth than somewhere in Southern Alberta. Yeah, I wouldn't mind living closer to the Pass, but never will now as I was a idiot and never purchased a acreage five years ago when I could afford it. And now they start at $300K with no buildings. My error. *hit happens. Still we've a trailer lot near Pincher now. Lethbridge is a cosmic little city with anything we need. Within two hours I can fish a huge range of streams and lakes. Great for wildlife picture takin'. 2,400 sunshine hours per year. This winter excepted, we get great weather. And don't waste ink on bitching about the wind. So we get a little wind now and then? No biggie.

Essentially 12 months of fishing--albeit only occasional fishing for a while.

There is very little to not like in small southern towns.

We gots eBay now so can get fissin' gear if we don't like the offerings and attitudes downtown. :) (A little inside humor there. Well it is not that funny actually. ;) )

yep Birchy is right. Live in ranch country close to Longview, Highwood, Sheep, Bow, hookers just over half an hour away in calgary.....why in the world would anyone want to live anywhere else? :rolleyes:

Me? I am quite happy right where I am.

I wouldn't mind a ranch out on the cowboy trail between caroline and sundre. gorgeous country, just over an hour to some of the best cutty fishing on the north and south ram that this province has to offer. Also right smack in the middle of brown trout country, stauffer, prairie, fallentimber and of course the red deer.

Guest Sundancefisher

I fly fished more times in a year in Edmonton than I now do in Calgary. Kids and marriage play a part of that but in Edmonton I flyfished for goldeye, mooneye, suckers, pike, walleye, stocked trout and burbot.

Down here you only seem to get trout easily. For pike and the rest you have to travel further than I seem to have time for. Still all in all while I loved fishing the NSR I hated getting hit in the back of the leg by all the toilet paper. Our river is cleaner in that respect. Past years of sewage has "enriched" the river. We need some "enriching" on other rivers now to bring back the biomass. Oldman, Crow, Sheep, Ghost, upper Red Deer, Upper NSR to name a few have seen tons of fish killed over the years. That biomass of energy does not get regenerated that quickly in the mountains. They have found in BC that seasonal variations in salmon return can be measure by tree growth.

Think about all the mountain streams and lakes that have been stripped of fish over the years. Nothing wrong with eating fish but I shudder to think of the biomass loss and the effects on the population and growth rates.

Kinda a HIJACK but oh well.

Cheers

Sun

It is pretty sad. Marshes where I chased frogs and salamanders as a kid near Sundance are now under concrete. It's heartbreaking just to see the change that has taken place along Highway 8 in the past 7 or 8 years. Makes you wonder when it'll ever stop. I wish I could have fished the land where Discovery Ridge and Elbow Valley are a decade ago. Ah well, no point crying over spilled milk I suppose. I still think it's a great place to live, and unless I win a few million in the lottery and can buy a few hundred secluded acres southwest of here, I'll stay put.

I just recently moved out of Calgary. Figured Airdrie (A-Town as I would like to call it :lol:) would be a great alternative, small enough that it still has the small town attitude, yet big enough that it has all the amenities I would ever need and still within easy access to work. So far it's been a great relief after 6 years in downtown Calgary.