Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Schmay

Pythagoras

Hi Spey guys...in an effort to become more informed and possibly ostrasized (sp?)....

I really don't get it...why Spey? I could see it in larger rivers and I do understand that it looks cool and must be fun to throw...but...in the end...do you really need Spey on the Bow? I mean it must be a bitch to carry around and, at best, an expensive indulgence in a pointless activity?

Sincerely

The Target

P.S. Secretly asking 'cause it does look cool.....

Pretend you're standing on the Bow flinging a single hander.

Now, some guy comes in upstream of you, does this really cool loop....flip.....swing....double hand thing, and launches 80feet of line into the best water of the hole.

Cool factor = 10/10

Is it more effective? Probably depends on the angler.

The Bow is big enough for a spey rod - show me where there's a spey river vs. single-handed rod size chart. It's fun and presents you with more options. You can cover more water with a single cast. I haven't found the rods to be much of a hassle to carry, but then I carry them in the tubes until I get to where I'm going. You don't need a spey rod on the Bow, but then you don't need a fly rod either. Isn't fly fishing in general an expensive indulgence in a pointless activity (think about it from a non-fly fisher's point of view)?

Why not just show up the spey weekend and try it? If you can't make it I'm sure someone else would let you give it a try on one of their rods.

Everyone knows spey casting and fly fishing in general don't really look cool - that's what smoking is for ;)

why the spey on the bow good question?? just starting to play with it as well I've come from norhern BC WHERE FOUR YEARS AGO it was catching on I guarantee the boys and girls using the double handers aren't just fishing the bow. some people actually venture off the bow sleep in tents, cars,and dirt whatever hunting for bigger fish and bigger water.searching for steelhead the elusive silver.the beautiful salmon out of the skeena river.the dark dreary days on the copper,bulkley, the babine.I'm sure theres alot of members on the board who have amazing trips planned and who are already on them.I'm sure the bow is an awesome river for the learning curve of the double hander.let's put the coolness factor aside learning something new and exciting and covering more water is good enough for me!!! I'm pretty sure big bad brent brought his double hander to the beautful cowichan river on the island.Pytahagoras I'm planning a trip to Terrace come along and play in some big water that includes all double and single handers. just finished watching my spey casting video had to reply.

Hi Spey guys...in an effort to become more informed and possibly ostrasized (sp?)....

I really don't get it...why Spey? I could see it in larger rivers and I do understand that it looks cool and must be fun to throw...but...in the end...do you really need Spey on the Bow? I mean it must be a bitch to carry around and, at best, an expensive indulgence in a pointless activity?

Simple question

OK....Move along now...

a bit of a harsh response?

keep in mind folks that the spey isn't about casting big distance, I mean you can butn that is not what it is all about. The fish are still holding where they always do so it really is about the ease of presenting the fly to them. Modern speyrods tend to be light and reasonable in length. Clearly I am a little biased but LOOP makes the lightest two handers around. Check out the 11'6 #7 opti or the 12' #7 multi or the 12' #6 goran - any of these sticks are lighter in the hand than most big(10') single handers. The other big advantage of two handers(other than the speed and ease of delivering the cast) is the ability to toss BIG bugs safely. Speycasts can be done with any single hander but the two handed rod makes everything easy on the body. Will be in your neck of the woods doing a free demo afternoon on May 16 th as well as classes over the weekend. Get in touh with Max or Toolman for more info

Brian Niska

I like them as its a different form of flycasting. They have their places where I find them quite usefull but in some places and uses I see them as being a bit cumbersome..... I also have say that fishing nymphs with a skagit head at distances over 60 feet it damn near pointless if you have conflicting currents as you can't mend the heavy head very well with the light running line...... But a different line could remedy that issue. So like regular fly casting you need to continuosly modify your rig and gear to best use them for the present situation...... So this means a whole nother set of lines, spools, reels, leaders, tips ect..... it all costs money so if you want to keep your expense in the fly fishing hobby to the absolute minimum don't take spey as you will find that very little of your single hand stuff is gonna be useful. Another thing to mention is that until you have learned to push the single hand capabilities to the maximum the spey rod will simply become a crutch...... atleast thats how I feel. But if you have plans to go fish big streamers for big steelhead and salmon or trout in confined casting situations on large water...... they(spey) have to be priceless......

Sincerely

The Target

That's a fair question I guess, my answer is pretty simple, I do it because it's fun. I do it because I really enjoy it. I do it for the same reasons I fly fish with a single handed rod. I do not do it for any technical reasons or because it ups my odds of landing fish. Fly fishing to me is all about what I am NOT doing when I am fishing. I am not working when I am fishing, I am not fretting over a mortgage or a litany of other unpleasant things that would regularly be eating my guts. The only thing that matters when I am fishing is the 'here and now' and anything that makes the brief time on the water that I get more enjoyable I am all for it. Give it a shot, I bet you'll enjoy it. If you don't, well at least you've tried.

-al

Sincerely

The Target

There are a few reasons for using a Spey Cast

Restrictions or structures behind the angler such as banks or trees.

the need for a large change of direction using one flowing movement.

Avalability of rods and lines that run the gambet from extremely light trout weights (5 wt) to over 12.

It's a beautiful form of casting.

I had been playing with the style for a number of years while Steelheading on the big rivers in BC. It attracted me as a style that keeps the fly in hte water for a longer period of time. I made my way into full time Spey rod use on the Bow (I use singe handers on smaller streams and lakes). I had a turning point when I developed severe tennis elbow from single hand casting with heavy rods and flies. I found the Spey system genteler on my makup, using the body instead of elbow.

I have fly casted for over 50 years now. It's just nice to try to master a different form. Fishing on my terms.

There are a few reasons for using a Spey Cast

Restrictions or structures behind the angler such as banks or trees.

the need for a large change of direction using one flowing movement.

Avalability of rods and lines that run the gambet from extremely light trout weights (5 wt) to over 12.

It's a beautiful form of casting.

I had been playing with the style for a number of years while Steelheading on the big rivers in BC. It attracted me as a style that keeps the fly in hte water for a longer period of time. I made my way into full time Spey rod use on the Bow (I use singe handers on smaller streams and lakes). I had a turning point when I developed severe tennis elbow from single hand casting with heavy rods and flies. I found the Spey system genteler on my makup, using the body instead of elbow.

I have fly casted for over 50 years now. It's just nice to try to master a different form. Fishing on my terms.

Thanks Doc and alhuger...those are the k=ind of answers I was looking for. Interesting you say it's easier on the elbow Doc...I would have thought it involved a little more arm work...I really have to try one.

Thanks

I think that single hand casters need to ask themselves this one question.

Why, would experienced, very skilled anglers, who fished with single handed rods for decades, tell you that two handers were the way to go?

Why would they say that? Do you think it is these folks who "don't get it".

I'd say, it's likely the folks who have no experience/skills with Spey casting or two handed rods that are the ones who have something to learn, not the other way round.

That said, folks should fish with whatever tools and methods that they enjoy most.

But, lets hope you can keep an open mind and come and discover the world of Spey, you will be amazed....

I'm not sure about this whole thing, what I do know is I have watched Fishhead put his whole line out with no hauls and only a false cast or two. In fact under his tutelage I managed to break my XP 586 last year after 2 false casts got about 75 or 80' of line out and the ensuing shot to the shore popped it about 6" above the ferrule. Timing is everything baby!!

More precisely, One-Up, One-Down for 60 to 80 feet and then mend.

SnaG05

Can't wait to try it out on the size 22 Trico fall this summer...Silver Doctor..You must be kidding about the "full Time Use " thing on the Bow River...I have no problem with the people buying them and using them for the Bow..Got to keep the fly shops in business...That being said, When I walk and wade, I am usually fishing quite close to me, and when I am in my boat, I go where the fish are....For big fish, big rivers and style, Spey can't be beat...I don't see myself going out and buying one anytime soon..Until I move to BC Fulltime..

Had a great time with the trico fall last year. Didn't fish any 22's but casting sets of 18 trico dries. and yes I do fish the bow only with the Spey now. Swinging streamers and classic wets at times, nymphing deep and having a great time with dries.

Thanks Doc and alhuger...those are the k=ind of answers I was looking for. Interesting you say it's easier on the elbow Doc...I would have thought it involved a little more arm work...I really have to try one.

Thanks

This is a very healthy thread indeed...the idea that Spey Casting involves more elbow and arm work is only a perception,fact of the matter is that there is little arm extension, useing both arms is very simple , the law of physics is definitely on the longer rods side, and there is a great versatility available to the average caster,either useing a Single,Switch or true Two Handed Rod! The other law of physics that applies here is that the "older we become ,the smarter we become" does apply to many except you younger flyfishers who have seen much earlier than most ,the possibilities associated with Spey Casting what ever form. In North America,15 or even 10 years ago,the greatest percentage of new Spey casters were nearing middle age and up wards because of physical issues or distance needs. We have been slow to the gun,our cousins in many parts of Europe have been weaned on Spey. !

A good example of the functionality of a Spey cast with a Two Handed rod occurs ,for me, if I'm drifting down a fairly large River ,such as the Bow, in my Kick Boat. With the simplest movement I can cast and fish effectively to either side of the river should I choose....while sitting on my ass! What that means is ,that if I see a rise I can easily pick up 70' of line and change direction by 90 degrees (or more)and have a shot at the target....immediately. A spey cast effectively used off a drift boat or other raised watercraft ,useing single handed rods can be nearly equally effective.

As Brian said, Two Handed rods are as light or lighter than some Single handers...The Hardy Angel,or Swift, Loop's Grey series of rods, Beulahs ,Snowbee Tamar and Torridge,and the list goes on. But it is not always about how light the rods is...it is more about your fit. Pick up your favorite single hander,as usual with One hand,feel it...then distribute the weight between both your hands and it almost becomes invisible to the memory circuits...the same applies to many new Spey Casters when they pick up a newish Two Handed rod .." this is really light" are the words I hear most often...Two Handers are very versatile fishing tools meant to enhance our abilities and experiences on the waterways of the world...

See you all in April

Guest Rocknbugs
I think that single hand casters need to ask themselves this one question.

Why, would experienced, very skilled anglers, who fished with single handed rods for decades, tell you that two handers were the way to go?

Why would they say that? Do you think it is these folks who "don't get it".

I'd say, it's likely the folks who have no experience/skills with Spey casting or two handed rods that are the ones who have something to learn, not the other way round.

That said, folks should fish with whatever tools and methods that they enjoy most.

But, lets hope you can keep an open mind and come and discover the world of Spey, you will be amazed....

lol!!!

Sincerely

The Target

Pythagoras,

Is Spey necessary on the Bow? I don't think so. Will it enhance your fishing experience? Very likely. They are different questions. It will open up a bit more water for you to play in and likely catch some fish that are out of reach for most others. It is really not a bitch to carry around, and I haven't found it to be any more expensive than single handed stuff. I like it a lot for the places it allows me to fish much more easily than I could with the single hander. That being said, I like both casting styles and will never give up the single hander for anything. I will use the Spey when it suits me and when I think it'll make the water that I am fishing more accessible to me. I hope that helps some.