Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Schmay

Pythagoras

For me I spey because of physical restrictions. I have a seriously messed up shoulder which also happens to be my casting arm. With work on a proper double haul I am sure I can get my line out there, but I have to work for it and am extermly sore by the end of the day. Now with my spey I find I am more comfortable and getting to the distances that I want to be in with little effort. This creates some confidence in my fishing abilities which allows me to catch more trout.

That is why I use the Spey.

• 5 months later...

You need to learn the two hander casting techniques first, at which time you will then be in a position to decide whether or not there is an advantage. Trully is a waste of time to haggle over the topic with someone who has never picked up a double hander that being said I'm a die hard two hander, I cast my Meiser 4/5/6 where it is totally inapproriate on a regular basis.... and it @#*&ing rocks. If you have not yet had the opportunity to chase steelhead or other larger coastal species you may not have a taste for the real advantages. At the very least if you toss your pride aside and learn the art of the double hander you will then taste for your self the advantages if they are indeed real and not percieved. Not only will you walk away a much better single handed caster but you will add a dozen new casts to your quiver.... if you have room <--poke--<