Fly Fusion Forums

Are You One Of These?

In an interview in the British magazine FlyFishing & Flytying September 2006 edition, Allan Frake of the Environment Agency says when asked what is the greatest danger of angling.

"Complacency", he said. "Individual anglers posing on the moral high ground as protectors of lakes, ponds, streams and rivers, but actually doing very little to maintain and improve them for future generations." Again, he came back to the Wild Trout Trust, a classic example of a group of keen aglers getting together and really making a difference to the environment. As he points out, there are two equally respectable ways of involving oneself in it's work - by joining in, rolling up your sleeves, getting your waders wet and your hands dirty; or if you cannot do that, by helping provide the funds to enable others to do it.

So, which group are you? The users & abusers or the somebody who cares?

Thought this might fit right in with Streamwatch's request for funds.

catch ya'

Don

I'd say I'm one of the guys that don't make a *hit load of money and have to work hard for what I do make. That means I don't have a whole lot of spare time or money to donate. And when I do find myself with some spare's of each, there are so many other things putting demands on them (family, Liberals).

One of these days I will be able to contribute as much as I would like. Maybe then, I won't consider myself a user and abuser.

(Sorry, a little self guilt kicked in there. :( )

I'd say I'm one of the guys that don't make a *hit load of money and have to work hard for what I do make. That means I don't have a whole lot of spare time or money to donate. And when I do find myself with some spare's of each, there are so many other things putting demands on them (family, Liberals).

One of these days I will be able to contribute as much as I would like. Maybe then, I won't consider myself a user and abuser.

(Sorry, a little self guilt kicked in there. :( )

it's all good hydro...i'm in the same creek as you there bud...

Awww, c'mon Hydro...let me put you down for a dozen of those awesome fly's you tie, for our StreamWatch auction....grin.

Put down for that, Toolman. Seriously. Thats one of those "kill two birds with one stone" things. I can tie flies and still spend time with the family.

(I guess I should read the StreamWatch thread.)

The fishies thank you Hydro...

The first time that I fished the Bow, with Hydropsyche, he gave me a dozen of his flies to try....

So, I decided to fish only with the ones he gave me. That day, I caught trout on 10 different patterns out of the 12. I did not have time to fish the last two till a couple of days later, which also landed trout.

I find that sometimes I don't do the things that I should do but try to make it up with other things. Sometimes I find myself wanting to do something but don't nessassary do it.

As long as I try I think I am heading in the right direction....

Guys,

I do understand your dilemma - been there. Still, there are many ways to get involved without huge outlays of time or money. Ever thought about writing a letter to somebody with regard to a transgression on your fishing resource. Most of you have printers. A envelope, stamp and a single sheet of paper maybe less than 1/4 the cost of a latte.

But, when you kids are grown and your fortune made - I hope you can see your way to keep your and your kids fishing resources as part of your priorities.

And all the old farts, lets get things changed before it's too late.

catch ya'

Don