Fly Fusion Forums

Whitefish Recipes

Simple but nice.

Fillet fish

Whip up some egg whites and fold in some mustard.

Season fish with salt/pepper and place on cookie sheet

Top with egg white mixture (about same thickness as the fish) and bake in 350 - 400f oven for 15 min (?)

And my favorite fish receipe:

leave fish whole

mix generous amount of garlic, olive oil and crushed rosemary (must have rosemary - fresh perferred, but dried works too). It should look something like pesto.

salt/pepper fish and slather fish inside and out with oil mixture.

Fill cavity with slices of fresh lemon.

Double wrap fish in foil, pinching edge to form tight seal (you want it to steam)

Cook on BBque or fire or oven until foil puffs up and about 10 - 15 minutes beyond, flipping often.

Like I said, this one's my favorite. And I'm not that crazy about fish.....

being that these are the only fish i keep to eat, just wondering if anyone might have some whitefish recipes as i am getting bored with my own personal recipe...

If you have any friends of Eastern European origin, they might know what to do with them... "They" love those greasy whities...

P

I typically only keep big lake whities, but I just stuff them with bread, mushrooms, onion, and lemon juice, a bit of seasoning, bbq for about 10 min on each side, peel the scales, the meat should then slide right off the bones, and most importantly, chase with your preferred brand of beer.

Simple but nice.

Fillet fish

Whip up some egg whites and fold in some mustard.

Season fish with salt/pepper and place on cookie sheet

Top with egg white mixture (about same thickness as the fish) and bake in 350 - 400f oven for 15 min (?)

I may try that when I go home for Texas "trout".

If that will work with whites, then I would also try Brownstones campfire recipe, but add a coat of dijon mustard before the cracker crumbs. You can also use the mustard to replace the eggs if you prefer. I started frying with a dijon coating a few years ago and love it.

i regret to say that i do not own a smoker...i have heard that smoked whities are the cat's ass...is it worth dropping some coin for a small smoker setup?

I have a Little Chief that gets little use.......Comes with a good smoker recipe book ........You are welcome to borrow it.......

Al.......

Here is my Microwave Whitefish

1 lb whitefish fillets, deboned

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup shredded zucchini

1/4 cup finely chopped celery

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 small red pepper, sliced

Place whitefish fillets in a large microwave baking dish. Combine onions, zucchini and celery and spread over whitefish fillets. Drizzle with lemon juice. Add red pepper and cover with wax paper. Microwave on medium (50% power) for 10 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Rearrange whitefish fillets once during cooking. Remove from microwave, let stand 2 minutes.

Enjoy

Is there any specific way you can filet a rocky such that it is boneless? I haven't ever kept one mainly due to the fact that it was my impression that they were quite bony. However, I love fresh pike and can manage to get a boneless filet by removing the ybones.

Is there any specific way you can filet a rocky such that it is boneless? I haven't ever kept one mainly due to the fact that it was my impression that they were quite bony. However, I love fresh pike and can manage to get a boneless filet by removing the ybones.

Big whitefish (>14") can be deboned by fileting easily.

I don't think I could even describe how I do it, but I find whitefish much easier to debone and filet than trout. If you cook it with the bones in, the meat will slide right off the bones once it's cooked.

Edit; that's right, I have bonked a trout before.

Now, don't be too hard on yourself, son. Trout-bonking is NOT a mortal sin. You just have to

say "Catch and Release" 100 times & make a small donation to Streamwatch, and all will be

forgiven by the Fishing Gods. Go now, and bonk no more...

-Rev. Bob-

Here is a recipe that will go with any white fish - not just whitefish :lol:

Get some of those kettle chips (the jalapeno and cheddar Miss Vickies ones rock), crush them up. Dip the fish in either buttermilk or ranch salad dressing (whichever you prefer) and roll them in the potato chip breadcrumbs. Put on a cookie sheet and cook (preferably on convection bake to keep it super crispy) and you will have the wickedest tasting fish you've ever had. We did this with halibut and it was OUTSTANDING.