Fly Fusion Forums

Which Species Of Trout Fights The Hardest?

All valid points, but I think Livingston and area cutties consistently fight larger than their size. They are always fiesty and when I get 'em in they're almost always smaller than I thought they were on the line, and I usually use a 6wt. up there.

rainbows (steelhead)...period. as long as were talkin freshwater that is. god damn try gettin one of those monster rainbows from the columbia down around castlegar using light stuff...HA

There's big rainbows in the Columbia by Castlegar?!?? :D That's where my mother in law lives.. and we go there often. Last few times (since I started fly fishing) I've thought, I wonder if there's good fishing in there??

I haven't been fortunate to catch the variety of trout that most of you guys have, but I think you'll find the sea run variety will give you more of a fight. In my experience, sea run brown & brookies fight better than their freshwater counterpart so long they are fresh from the SW.

Hmmmmm....tough one! I would say 20 + inch brookies fight pretty hard...but big bulls pull pretty hard too. Rainbows give you the acrobatics, and browns are wily and wrap you around rocks and branches. Cutts roil the surface, and lakers cartweel and hold deep. I think it comes down to the last big fish a person has caught...that one always fought the hardest. ;)

yea huge landlocked steelhead...MASSIVE and supposedly the best fightin fish that dont go to the sea i.e. on par with steelhead almost...huge river tho hard to fish but can definately be done...check it out sometime

Excellent!

Know if there's any fly shops in the area that I could check out?

well if yer talkin' steelhead and sea run this and that..Altlantics in a big pool, I say that cause most of the time you hook 'em and they have no place to run.. those guys 'ill jump a half dozen times 6 feet out of the air before they change direction, then turn around and jump back at you a few times..the best fight ever for me..but...t'aint no trout..so..Rainbows for sure...

My very best fights strength wise have been big bulls, hands down. Never caught steelies, and the rb's I've got so far have been awesome, but the 24"+ rb's this year have been soft at ice-out. The bullies have got serious shoulders. I can anticipate the rb's having more fight as the sumer gets going though.

Excellent!

Know if there's any fly shops in the area that I could check out?

Haven't been there for a couple of years, but there was a fly shop across the road from the Sandman motel.

Good shop. They even shuttled us one afternoon.

I know the question was about trout, but seeing Bull's and Brookies are also included I would have to say BIG grayling on moving water. They will fight themselves to death when hooked.

How about Artic Char, I fished them a while back and they fight like mad.