• Chelios
    • Messier
    • The Rocket
    • Yzerman
    • S Neidermayer
    • Brodeur
    • Hasek
    • Lindros

Who's your favourite player? Mine's always been Linden, even though my heart lies with the Leafs. A class act, always carries his team in the playoffs. Never gives up, I'll be sorry to see him retire, but I hope he'll consider coaching.

List has no rhyme or reason, just names that popped into my head as fan favourites or mad skillz. If I leave yours out, tough shite :lol: I hope this can fly, I put a lot of names up there :lol:

Discuss :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbadbrent

Favourite at the moment is between huselius, iginla and heatley, but since only iggy was on there i took him.

When i was little i loved Chelios, but not anymore..cranky ol' fart

Guest Rocknbugs

Linden, Chelios, Gilmour, Lindros, Hull........are you sure this is a favorite player list, thats laughable? Those 4 guys could start off my most hated list. I will go with a good player that was tough to, how about Cam Neely. I cant believe that Linden has 4 votes allready he is one of the most boringly average hockey players of all time, what makes him special is that he is still playing.......just below average at best. Since a good player like Neely is not on the list I guess I will have to go with the "MOOSE" or Iggy or Crosby or Lemeuix.

Were is Sundin, Stevens, Lidstrom, Wendel Clark (one of my all time favs), Bossy, Lafluer, Sittler, Huselius(best stick handler in the game today), Sakic, Smitty.

That's easy... Sheldon Souray... he is a useless piece of crap. He is to hockey what those kayaking wires on the Oldman are to fly fishing. There, but why?

Oh wait... this is a favorite player list. Sorry, I misread that... I would have to go with Gretzky... or Smitty.

Go Oilers.... (trade Souray)

Guest Rocknbugs
That's easy... Sheldon Souray... he is a useless piece of crap. He is to hockey what those kayaking wires on the Oldman are to fly fishing. There, but why?

Oh wait... this is a favorite player list. Sorry, I misread that... I would have to go with Gretzky... or Smitty.

Go Oilers.... (trade Souray)

I was jacked about the Souray deal when it went down, it has not panned out yet but they are still better with him then without him, if they can keep this group together for a couple more years they will be deadly.

This should be good for a few to disagree with...My choice isn't on the list.

Having been a small player all my life, I was always and remain a big fan of Theo Fleury. Forgetting about the problems he went thru at the end of his career, he was the epitome of heart and determination. Not only did he overcome all odds to make it in the league, he became one of the best players of his time. Putting aside your feelings of him if you weren't a Flames fan, you had to respect him regardless as a player.

I had the opportunity to meet him thru his ex-wife Veronica and found it amazing to see how much he loved the game. It's a shame that he might be remembered for the way his playing days ended, but hopefully not.

Hopefully they do him the justice of celebrating his career here in Calgary and retire the Number 14 soon.

Guest Rocknbugs
This should be good for a few to disagree with...My choice isn't on the list.

Having been a small player all my life, I was always and remain a big fan of Theo Fleury. Forgetting about the problems he went thru at the end of his career, he was the epitome of heart and determination. Not only did he overcome all odds to make it in the league, he became one of the best players of his time. Putting aside your feelings of him if you weren't a Flames fan, you had to respect him regardless as a player.

I had the opportunity to meet him thru his ex-wife Veronica and found it amazing to see how much he loved the game. It's a shame that he might be remembered for the way his playing days ended, but hopefully not.

Hopefully they do him the justice of celebrating his career here in Calgary and retire the Number 14 soon.

Agreed!! I know his x-Veronica as well and have met him a couple of times here and there, personally I thought the guy was a bit of a jerk off the ice but you cant question his love and ability for the game. He was definitely one of the more exciting players of my time. I only remember him as a Flame all that other BS with the Rangers and Hawks doesnt even register.

Ales Hemsky. When he's on his A-game he's as fun to watch as anyone in the league. When I was younger I liked Keith Tkachuk for some reason. Other favourites were Lemeiux, Jagr, Cujo, Hasek, and Doug Weight (Edmonton's superstar, hahaha).

p.s. Souray bashers, it sucks that he's injury prone but check our powerplay stats with him in the line-up, he hasn't been scoring too much but just having him quarterback the pp has significantly increased production.

Ales Hemsky. When he's on his A-game he's as fun to watch as anyone in the league.

You can't vote for a guy named Alice. ;)

I voted for Iggy but Neely & Clark would be up there. I think my favorite was Gary Roberts when he was with the Flames, I loved watching him go. He'd hit, fight, score. What more could you want?

Ales Hemsky. When he's on his A-game he's as fun to watch as anyone in the league. When I was younger I liked Keith Tkachuk for some reason. Other favourites were Lemeiux, Jagr, Cujo, Hasek, and Doug Weight (Edmonton's superstar, hahaha).

p.s. Souray bashers, it sucks that he's injury prone but check our powerplay stats with him in the line-up, he hasn't been scoring too much but just having him quarterback the pp has significantly increased production.

Snakeman...

I am Oil guy but you have to watch Souray play. He is soft, plays like he doesn't care and very weak along the boards. Not to mention he can't seem to pass it to his own team. I admit, he is great on the PP, but that's it. We pay him way to much to be good only on the PP. I was jacked when he came but the more I watch hime, the worse he gets. Trust me on this one... he needs to go.

Not necessarily bashing him, just pointing out a major flaw that Lowe seemed to over look, that the other 29 GMs didn't.

His stats for 2006/2007 were:

81 Games Played

26 Goals

38 Assists

64 Points

135 Penalty mins

Most important.....Minus 28

Plus minus doesn't count when on Special teams, and being that 48 of his total points last year were on the power play, this leaves only 16 of his points being scored at even strength. Now, consider that he is considered to be an offensive defenseman, 16 points is pretty low. Now look at the fact that he was on the ice for at least 28 more goals against his team than he was on for when his team scored....I would say he is not only weak offensively, but also very weak defensively when playing 5 on 5.

Throw in how prone he is to injury and I'd say he is more of a nagative than a positive to a team.

I will agree that he is great for their PP, but do you really want to pay a player $6.25 million/yr to boost your Power play? He would be a great deal as it turns out if they could pro-rate his salary for the number of games he plays, but unfortunately they have to pay him the full amount to play half the games.

The money would have been better spent on 2 young prospects to help the team in the future since the team is obviously in a rebuilding stage.

I have to throw in two more players to my all time favorites for raw excitement, (It will also show my age....)

Butch Goring and Gilbert Perrault

Souray is not really that bad, I'd take him over Staios any day. I'd encourage you guys to check out this article on his defensive play: http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...defenseman.aspx

He's not a defensive rock, and as such MacT shouldn't be playing him for 25+ minutes per game. He is only soft now because of his shoulder, I'm sure MacTavish has instructed him to not fight or put too much weight on it with big hits. Physical play is a big part of his game and next season when his should is fully recovered he'll start showing that. And he can't be traded anyway, he's got a no-trade clause for the first 2 years on his contract (or just the 1st year, I can't recall).

Neely, he was great to watch. I think about a third of the first few Don Cherry videos featured him. I tried to model my playing style after him, then realized I wasn't tough enough ;)

I have a buddy who had a chance to play against Theo up in the Northern Peace League or something a couple years ago. He hung out with him a bit and swears that the passion he has for hockey is mind boggling...

Not on the list but Ovechkin is a bit of a Theo/Neely hybrid, too bad he'socked up in DC for the next decade or so.

Guest bigbadbrent

Im a huge fan of Ovy too, hes a true goal scorer. No one in the league right now wants to score more goals then that kid, and no one loves scoring more then he does...

He's locked up, but considering that the salary cap is going to go up every year...he'll be ok

Fleury was a jerk on and off the ice...not even close to my criteria...I'm sayin' Gretz...and I like Crosby he's more than just a goal scorer, he sees the game like very few can. That list does have a lot of great, legendary players so it's hard to pick. Hemsky is a talented player, but I think he needs more time to mature, IMO he 'hogs' the puck a lot when he should be dishing it. So what can I say, I'm an Oil fan and Gretz is the reason for it. Oh, why isn't Sean Avery on the list? ha ha