Fly Fusion Forums

License Checks

I have seen CO's using telescopes and such and that one time on the Highwood when I did the fish ID test he said he was watching me from a stand of tree's :blink: So how many time's have we been checked for bait or any other improper fishing methods and the CO notices that things seem above board and plays the Fly Fishing vs Spincaster card and walks away?

Guest bigbadbrent
Never, on any body of water, anywhere. Somewhat amazing when you think of it.

Lots of water, very few people..

The one time i definitly looked like a punk kid who should have been checked, i got a smile and a wave. I was wearing torn up shorts, a beater and no fly vest and my rod...probably thought i was like 14 or something..gotta have been unshaven to make them think im over 16

The time was chidders is the only time i've been checked, and that was the day after one just waved...

Usually i'd see a CO checking my fav spot last year every night, as their last spot before going to bed..always made me happy

I have seen CO's using telescopes and such and that one time on the Highwood when I did the fish ID test he said he was watching me from a stand of tree's :blink: So how many time's have we been checked for bait or any other improper fishing methods and the CO notices that things seem above board and plays the Fly Fishing vs Spincaster card and walks away?

Yeah, I've spotted CO's with telescopes up on the hill above the dam on the Elbow before. Kinda weird to fish while you're being stared at through a telescope.

Twice in the last four years. Once in Cochrane under the hwy.22 bridge (the only crowded spot in Cochrane), checked my license, and once on Sibbald Creek in October, he pulled up and asked if the creek was still open, I informed him Jumpingpound tribs close November. He checked the regs and wished me a good day.

I've called them twice, once with results, once without, both times at Carseland when I saw guys stuffing big 'bows in the trunks of their cars.

Three times in 30 years of fishing the US, all in the last 10 years of flyfishing in the upper midwest.

Three times in 6 years of vacationing in Canada, all in one week in BC. Wait a sec, one of those was just a student doing a survey.

That one time in Minnesnowtah was kinda funny. There was a mixup at the store that sold my husband and me our licenses and trout stamps which resulted in my not having the proper trout stamp for MN, despite our making two trips and spending an hour at the counter. The armed CO became very agitated when I questioned him about carding me at a lake in an unused corner of a county park fitfully stocked with retired broodstock. "I'm just trying to determine whether a crime has been committed here!" he said. :rolleyes:

Contrast that with a visit to South Dakota's black hills: I asked why my husband got the only copy of the license sold to both of us and was told "Don't worry, nobody ever checks them anyway."

One time in Wisconsin, my husband was checked by a CO standing on the other side of the river. He used binoculars to read the license so my hubby wouldn't have to cross the stream and disturb the pool.

Got checked once on a special regs stream in BC last year, where I do 10%-20% of my fishing. The guy had a bit of a hike in as well so we were kind of surprised, but it was still great to see the effort.

What was the colour of you're license plate? Could it be targeted inforcement with dual benefits of potential for greater returns and word of mouth advertisement? Obviously, more officers and less people on the water should lead to increased CO encounters, I just wonder if the blue platers are seeing an increase as well.

I was checked on the Liv last spring.

I've been checked twice on the Bow both in Fish Creek. I had an interesting conversation with a CO about barbs, I was told that I was able to be fined because I had barbed flies in my box, not on my line. After a 20 minute talk, he agreed not to give me a fine. I very quickly went home and debarbed all my flies, however I did think and still do think it is legal to have barbed flies in you box. I am I lucky that I got off or right that I can have them as long as I don't fish with them?

Cheers

I've been checked twice on the Bow both in Fish Creek. I had an interesting conversation with a CO about barbs, I was told that I was able to be fined because I had barbed flies in my box, not on my line. After a 20 minute talk, he agreed not to give me a fine. I very quickly went home and debarbed all my flies, however I did think and still do think it is legal to have barbed flies in you box. I am I lucky that I got off or right that I can have them as long as I don't fish with them?

Cheers

You were right, he was wrong. I've also hear of another CO doing this at pigeon lake, too bad our CO's dont even know the rules they are supposed to be enforcing. :blink:

Hmmm...I must be heatscore.

Twice on the bow, four times bearspaw, once at ghost, twice at upper k, twice at lower k, twice at spray, twice at wedge, once at south sask, and once at the highwood. This is in 7 yrs in Alberta. Maybe I just get out more than most.

been ckecked once in 18 years since moving to AB. Was about 14 years ago. Spin casting then. Pulled me over in the raft with his boat. Was the dude who used to live down at Mack. Was a real jerk to me. Went through all the coolers and stuff. Then hit us again when we got to Mack to pull out.

3 times in 2 years, same river, same CO. the last time we were ice fishing and i didnt have my licence because it was in my vest so i didnt fish. just sat around and killed the day. the CO came over, same guy. he asked if i was fishing. i said no. he asked if i had my licence, i said yes, just couldnt find it that day. he said he was the only CO on that day and once he left he wasnt coming back and then winked. i had also reminded him that he had checked my licence a few months before. he just said, drop a line and have fun.

i see him probably 5 or 6 times a year. last year he only checked at the beginning of the season and i saw him 3 more times after that and he just said hi and kept going. he's a pretty cool guy

What was the colour of you're license plate? Could it be targeted inforcement with dual benefits of potential for greater returns and word of mouth advertisement? Obviously, more officers and less people on the water should lead to increased CO encounters, I just wonder if the blue platers are seeing an increase as well.

I was checked on the Liv last spring.

I would say that's stretching it a bit. Checking a vehicle with out of province plates would make sense, to make sure that everyone knows the rules, after all, they probably aren't too familiar with the area. I don't think anyone would say that's unfair.

On the second part, I think enforcement has been stable around here anyway. I normally get 'checked' fishing for salmon around here (DFO fish cops). I use quotes because it's more like this

"Hey ****, hows it going? Want to see my licence?"

"Nah Kris don't worry I know you got it"

"Hand out any fines today?"

"Yah, a couple guys snagging up in the canyon"

"Well that's typical"

"Yeah, it's too bad, the rules aren't hard to follow"

"Sure aren't. Good seeing you again **** taker easy"

"Good luck!"

If I get checked in the summer stream or lake fishing(usually once or twice a summer when I fish easy access spots) it's a CO and they're fairly aggressive (which I like to see), as there's quite a bit of bull trout poaching in the areas I usually fish. Whenever my brain hits the offroad button, I don't see ANYONE, let alone a CO.

Once last year on the upper bow near Canmore. Twice on the Highwood at the end of the season last year, but both of those time I offered and they said not to worry about digging it out of my vest. Interestingly these last two times it was a F+W guy, not a CO. Anyone know what the difference is?

In a nut shell CO's are responsible for enforcement in provincial parks and F&W wildlife does enforcement in the rest of the province. CO's are part of Tourism, Parks, Recreation and Culture and F&W is under Sustainable Resource Development.