Fly Fusion Forums

Drift boat floats besides the Bow?

I've done a lot of drift boat fishing on the Bow, but lately I've been wondering what else is out there (meaning rivers) in the neighborhood that's suitable for a drift boat trip. Any wisdom to share as far as places, access, shuttle availability, and so one would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm aware of the Elk, and I don't want to mess with Montana for now (my last trip was a real pain in rear with repeated boat inspections and a long customs wait). What about the lower Oldman, or the Red Deer?

I drifted several sections of the Clearwater this year and you don’t want to bring s drift boat down it from Highway 22>Highway 752. It is thin in many places. I bottomed out my pontoon boat many times. 

Tbe river is in runoff right now and this will help the situation. Launching a drift boat is tough. There maybe only two spots in 12 miles. 

North Sask is even tougher to get boats in and out within a reasonable distance. Downstream of Highway 11 there is a take out at Drayton.

Catch ya’

Don

• Like 1

St. Marys is an incredible drift

Elbow from from Canyon creek down is pretty cool but you better have your stick skills wired, take out at redwood or near Allen Bill used to be.... really a tough put in and take out.  may not be good for a typical 17' drifter

Any portion of the Bow above the weir.

• Like 2