Fly Fusion Forums

Yeah..

birchy

Two years ago I was skating with my kids. I was showing my son how I could do a "hockey stop" and he couldn't. Teased him a little mercilessly. Skated at him at full speed (or my version of it) and did the hockey stop. Unfortunately, my feet slipped out from under me and I hit the ice vertically. Knocked out my breath and scared my kids. "Are you ok daddy? Why can't you talk daddy?" Once I got my breath back my oldest son, the one I was teasing, tries to help me get up. That was the moment I realized I had cracked or badly bruised my ribs.

Skating career over.

I think I told that story here once before. Sorry about that, happens when you get old.

I'll be fishin all year round. See you girlie men in spring.

Me too...........Probably coulda fished today..........Played squash instead.......What a poor substitute........S'pposed to warm up next week............Crow maybe??........Anyone seen how it looks at the pink or silver bridge??

I got out fishing yesterday and today for an hour. The bite is on, but drift ice is a big problem, so there's not much open water. It's pretty dam cold, so an hour is all I could take, but long enough to get the flies wet and slam a few, actually, quite a few.

snowboarding is the other release, but it doesnt compare

yep..ridin helps...need a winter trip to cure the blues..

mine this year, Breckenridge Colorado 7-11 feb

check it out - www.breckhaven.com

8 dudes from all over, Newfoundland, Ontario, North Carolina, California, Alberta

I'm missing fishin' and campin".

I think i"ll go to Mexico!...Hang on....

I am going to Mexico!

Bugger!!!! When and where are you going?

We've "delayed" our mid-January trip to sometime in Feb/March. I'm so wishing we didn't now.

Lynn,

I'll give you the details when I get back. Very detailed.

Gheez Dave....I just wanna know if you're going to the Pacific or the Riviera side, what hotel you're staying in and who you booked through....not who you have hot tequila-induced sex with :lol:

I'm not being nosey - just thinking of doing the Pacific side this year as we've been to the Mayan Riviera (Playa Del Carmen) 3 times now. Just from everything I've heard, the Pacific side (Cabo, PV) just doesn't compare. But it's a shorter flight and it's a bit cheaper so I'm willing to consider.

well i'm doing a cruise in jan, leaving from Miami, doing cozumel for 2 days and then grand cayman and coco cay. it's for work so i know you all feel sorry for me...

ok Lynn, Mexico from an ex- travel agent...

destinations

- Cabo - Golf, golf and more golf. there is a lot of drinking and some deep sea fishing, but mostly golf. cabo is separated in to 3 areas. cabo san lucas, san jose del cabo and the corridor. last time i was there, the only all inclusive was at the north end of the corridor next to the estuary. i dont golf as a destination recreation, so all i did was sun tan and drink. the taxi rides leave a lot to be desired and the corridor is not exactly close to cabo and san jose is really not that interesting, even the shoping was not that great. same can be for la paz as a destination, both look a lot like a half built california stage coage stop from the spaghetti westerns still under set consturction. la paz has more grass, less touristy stuff.

Sanora bay/ san carlos/guymyus - north end of the baja on the mainland. fishing town, club med and that's about it. weather is not as good. 3000 people in the summer blooms to about 10000 in the winter, mainly americans from arizona (because they need a winter get away :blink: )

mazatlan - i have not personally been. so this is second hand info from clients and collegues. great party town if you are 20. excellent deep sea fishing oppertunities. drink and fish. but the fishing can be expensive, expect to pay between 350 - 500 usd per person for a 1/2 day charter - fish not guaranteed and we all know guides are not created equally. the tourist zone is good for shopping food and nightlife. the city is dirty. my mom and another girlfriend of mine both like a little town to the north, i think it starts with a b, but it is basically a gated condo community, dont expect tourist stuff like going out for dinner or dancing to the wee hours that you would have in mazatlan (the town is something like bochos rios ???) benefit is that mazatlan otherwise is less expensive to get to and one you get there off all of the pacific destinations. you will notice the lack of quality in accommodations and food. so either look at a 5 star all inclusive or a 3 star hotel only and spend the time doing other things and eating other places - and by you booze where the locals do... not the night clubs

Puerto Vallarta. again split in to 3 or 4 sections depending on who you talk to. nuevo, marina, old vallarta and somthing i cant spell (blue bay in the town that begins with M, phonectically in english spelled - mis mal loi a.)

my 2 trips to PV were very fast. destination - beach and drinking. great sight seeing oppertunities, like horse back riding on the beach. fishing, but not as big. beach is unprotected from the pacific. good party town, old vallarta is basically down town, good shopping a few deals to be had, bartering was good. english not a problem but starting to get a little more difficult from the others. if you are going to do an all inclusive, take one on the beach in any district, but remember transportation between nuevo and marina vallarta to downtown is limited to peso buses and taxis. peso bus is cheap but not reliable. taxi expensive and only kind of reliable. the farther out you are does not mean the less expensive it is. there really is not much to do in nuevo or marina. overall pv was fun, cleaner than some cities, great night life and good shopping.

manzanillo - mosquito central (NWT of the south, rivals the size of winnipegs)

built on a marsh, of course...because someone thought that would be a great place to put a resort. i personally would not bother with manzanillo, even if just for the bugs. but also because it was not really a town before but a created destination. all tourist all the time, well sort of. i have heard the fishing is good. but dont have any specific info for you.

if you feel you must go south, either keep going or stop 45min north at playa blanc (club med) great resort, lots to do, isolated, no mosquitos, adult club only - so no kids. very relaxed atmosphere and the food is fantastic. or if you want to do a back pack style - try barra de navidad, quaint little town just south, mom and pop hotel on the beach for 40usd a night, this is a rural beach mexico town, no tourist activities - bring the dictionary.

ixtapa/zihuatanjo - biggest complaint - unprotected beach and big surf, that's the reason why they get such good pics of an empty beach. the waves are too high and every one is at the pool. good luck getting a chair. fishing supposed to be getting better the farther south you go. again, lots of typical tourist stuff, starting to get more expensive. dont cheap out on the hotel, not much to do and not a lot of food options in zihautanajo, more local towns people stuff, ixtapa more for tourists but away from the town.

Hualtulco - about all i know is that it is a fairly new destination in the last few years and there is a great club med family club there. so the local infrastructure might not be great yet for tourists and there may be a lot of people milling about with not much to do. again the beaches are unprotected.

Acupulco - the jewel of the pacific. - go here. this is a must at somepoint. excellent night life, excellent food. beautiful city. most expensive on the west coast but amazing. fishing is to die for, protected beaches. very crowded (but this could have changed as more destinations have opened) this is what pv has tried to be.

i gather you have been to the east coast a few times. so wont bother going in to detail.

all the destinations were specifically created for the american tourists. lots to do, lots of adventure options from scuba to ruins. waters are protected because of the gulf, just dont go in hurricane season. adult club med in cancun. tourist stop on cozumel. maya is secluded and beautiful all inclusive needed, good tour options.

hope that helps...

Guest Sundancefisher
I'm kinda missing fly fishing right now.. :unsure:

A real Canadian flyfisherman would be able to flycast from 50 feet, land the fly in the hole, mend the line out and catch something while watching a corkie no problem...

Just go practice.

It sure does LS....we were considering NV and Cabo seriously. Had friends that did Huatulco last year and said the resort was amazing but not alot to do yet and the weather too hot and humid in January! So....I'm gonna go with my gut and go back to PDC. Might as well go to something where we know we'll have a good time.

Thanks for taking the time to type that.

Wow...this has turned into a great threadjack. Once again.