Fly Fusion Forums

Go Ahead ... Laugh

It was my severe misfortune today to have...after rummaging around in my Simms gear bag my entire can of bear spray go off.

If there is any luck to this tale is that most of the spray was contained within the bag.

A large mist was in the air in front of bag which I inhaled, then grabbed bag and brought outside.

I then somehow got on my lips, chin, eye and even on my privates.

Extremely uncomfortable for next 1 1/2 hrs , I thought I would cough to death.

All fly boxes, flies, leaders, tippets headlamps, pockets and every nook and cranny was saturated.

Sooooo when you lose the safety clip on your bear spray maybe pay a little more attention dummy!

Laugh on fellas.

• Like 7

Learned about changing to a fresh uncontaminated washcloth on a more frequent basis did ya. And the best part is you'll get a reminder of the mishap every time you shower for the next 4-5 days or so. I took a instream fartknocker and unloaded an entire can in the right front pocket on my wetwading pants. Wasn't too bad as long as I was balls deep in a cold mountain stream but the 2 hr hike back to the truck was gawdamned uncomfortable.

• Like 5

Learned about changing to a fresh uncontaminated washcloth on a more frequent basis did ya. And the best part is you'll get a reminder of the mishap every time you shower for the next 4-5 days or so. I took a instream fartknocker and unloaded an entire can in the right front pocket on my wetwading pants. Wasn't too bad as long as I was balls deep in a cold mountain stream but the 2 hr hike back to the truck was gawdamned uncomfortable.

Ya what the hell, had a shower little while ago and the burn came right back. Not a good time.

Having this *hit soaked right into the lining of Simms bag makes me want to just throw it out, to bad they are worth a few bucks.

I'm sure I don't ever want want this on me again, you know what I'm talking about.

Was in a house once shortly after a pepper spray discharge, and that was bad enough. Can't imagine your experience was all that pleasant... my apologies for chuckling just a little when I read it. X2 on using the safety container; I have one in my truck that I picked up at my local Wholesale. I know it would probably make better sense to not store bear spray in my truck, but I found in so doing I typically arrived at my fishing destination with the bear spray still sitting in my garage at home. Think I will pick up another for my wife's vehicle, and while I'm at it may get one of these... looks like they might make for a decent wading belt.

Jason,

Just be aware that If you wear a pack, it might sit too high on your waist and will interfere with wearing the pack (then he spray will not be accessible), if you don't then it might be a good option for sure...

... and while I'm at it may get one of these... looks like they might make for a decent wading belt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am laughing... with you not at you. That must have been brutal.

I wanted to test my spray. I used an old date-expired can, assessed the wind, and extended my arm and gave a 1 second blast downwind and downwards towards my driveway.

I was immediately incapacitated, just from the fine mist of back spray. Eyes burning, coughing and choking. :curse:

I seriously doubt the efficacy of this in a close encounter with a bear. I'd be toast.

Reminds of the bear joke that ends with the punch line: "... and grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray..."